• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

WW1 ambulance in 1/87

Started by chester, March 30, 2011, 07:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chester

I don't do a lot of military stuff but in researching for something different to do, I came up with this. In July of 1917, the U.S. government contracted Ford to build ambulances for the war. By September Ford had produced over 2400 of these built on the Model T touring car chassis. This one uses the chassis and front clip from the Jordan Products T and the ambulance body is scratch built. Hopefully I can find some decent decals of the right size to put over my hand painted red cross.

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Malachi Constant

Neat-o!  Might be some 1/72 scale decals that would be close enough.  Very nice assembly and finish there.  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Junior

Very nice Chester! Is that the hospital in the background? ???

Anders ;D

DaKra

Nice crisp conversion, looks right.   These Jordan kits are such great little models, always interesting to see what people do with them to make them into something else. 

Dave

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Philip Smith

mabloodhound

Just saw this photo of 1919 ambulances that give a really good comparison on how well your work came out.
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

eTraxx

Dave, I was looking at that too. What caught my eye was the left side though ..

http://www.shorpy.com/node/10297#comment-118130

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Gordon Ferguson

Can anyone explain the roofing on the building, what is it , possible colours, etc ............. looking at it I presume it is some sort of felting ,tar paper as it appears to applied in strips, never seen anything like that this side of the water.
Gordon

mabloodhound

Ed,
I caught your comment elsewhere and didn't have an idea.   You really think it might be for fuel?   
Seems to be a gas station building just behind it.   I just don't know.
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

marc_reusser

Chester,

Very nice clean work on the conversion.

What is the dimension of the cross you need? I might have a decal that would work....otherwise you could also look into the ABER german cross masking stencils for 1/72...they come in various sizes, and there might be one that works.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

Quote from: gfadvance on April 13, 2011, 12:28:49 PM
Can anyone explain the roofing on the building, what is it , possible colours, etc ............. looking at it I presume it is some sort of felting ,tar paper as it appears to applied in strips, never seen anything like that this side of the water.

Gordon; If I had to take a shot at the roofing, I would say its rolled asphalt roofing, printed to resemble/mimmick composite asphalt shingles that could be found installed in this pattern. Insofar as color, I would guess a red-ish color, and grey color. 

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

chester

Thank you all.
Marc, thanks for the offer but I found some 1/76 scale decals that worked for me. They are the German red cross which has a round white background as opposed to the American red cross with a square or no white field. Dare I say most will not know the difference (much like me before I started research).

There seemed to be quite a few variants of these once they got into the field.

eTraxx

Partly by accident I ran across three other photos that tie to the photo of the Washington DC American Red Cross Depot and nurses, from 1917 to 1920.

http://www.etraxx.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=110

Think it's pretty cool myself!!
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"