• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Ronald's Civil War project in 1:87

Started by Ronald, April 11, 2011, 02:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronald

Hi guys,

Back on my feet again! I like to tell you the project I'm working on at this moment. First a little piece of modelling history from me to get a picture what drives me.

As serious modeller I started over in 1999 at the age of 35. At that point I build a American style switching layout of 2 by 5 feet called Metusa Junction, entered a exhibition in the Netherlands, and from that point on I was hooked again. Again in train modelling, but also in exhibiting one's layout. The mentioned layout was expanded twice in a total of 13 feet, was at exhibition's in several European countries and demolished in 2007. Meanwhile I build a second one that measured 1,5 by 4 called The Shop and with that the same story with the exception that it still exists at this point in time. The 3th one was build 2009/2010, measures 8 by 1,5 feet and is full in the exhibition circuit now.

Metusa Junction:

The Shop:

And the current one Cornfield Yard (first one with me... ;)):

What is my point here? All of these layouts where build "right out of the box". That means that all where build with kits and stuff that was and is off the shelf. At one point last year a good friend of my saw my last layout on its debut show, examined it and said to me: "Ronald, I don't want to hurt your feelings, but I like the layout very much, but it is too much the same with what you already build". What he meant was that in principal all 3 layouts had the same "signature" namely mine.... He pointed out that I too much was a kit builder and that he thought I could do far more than that. I thought at that point that he could be right...

After that and my homecoming after the show I started thinking and realized that my friend was right...... I did too much of the same stuff. Why? Because it was easy accessable stuff and I was so well trained in building it that it was "easy building" for me. This way I could do 1 layout a year for exhibitions. But what I didn't had realized at that point was that these layouts would be as brothers and sisters of eachother. And at that point I decided to try to go another direction and I needed a new challenge.

What way to go? If I didn't know what to do I could end in a modellers crisis and throw all my RR stuff out of the window and start another hobby. Bu instead I didn't do that and found a ad on the internet of some railroad stuff. Further examination brought to me that it related to the American Civil War. When I started diving into this I found a whole new world that to that point I never knew of. The railroads in America had boomed in that timeframe a great deal, and the whole subject had a great impact on me. What worked with it was that I always had and still have a great interest in military modelling and also the history behind that. Seen in that matter these two interests flowed together in the subject I was now attracted to.
So I bought the stuff from the guy. But soon I discovered that not all was accurately build. I wanted the stuff as starterpoint and working my way from there but knew then that I had to build and rebuild a lot. I also bought from another friend a Rivarossi 4-4-0 that needed a lot of work. My new project was born!

Searching the internet, corresponding with new aquired friends I bought 3 books as a starter point:

- "Mars get new chariots" from lt R. Koenig. A nice to read book that gives a good picture in how the railroads operated in the Civil War. Not much pictures but good to read stuff.
- The movie "Gettysburg" from 1993. I ordered the DVD and noticed the whole scenery and stage the war had took place in. Great to watch!
- Civil war railroads of G.B.Abdill.
- Civil war railroads & models of E.P.Alexander. This one is the best and almost crucial for the modelling part.

I also found a site on the internet of the well-known RR author Bernard Kempinski: (http://usmrr.blogspot.com). He builds a 0 scale verion of the USMRR (US Military RailRoad) andkeep up a blog about that project. He is a great help in this matter for me and also to the Yahoo group. Further I met a American guy who was here in Europe last Decemeber and he als is a good friend who gives me the necessary feedback. His layout can be found on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B5A-AgRGxU.

What untill now? To make a long story short; I started a try-out diorama. That is for me the best way in this project. Because of the fact that the track is laid in a way that is not available I have to try new techiques.
Here is the base for it; 3,5 by 1 feet. The size is related to a contest held later this year in October on a big exhibiotio in the Netherlands. If I want I could participate in it, but it is not a goal. My intention is trying out new stuff that I can use on my way to a bigger exhibition layout.

I started with a simple sheet:

On that I attached a copy out of the book of Abdill. It is a stub turnout. I also made a list with calculations of the length of the ties of it:

After doing that I made the ties. Studying pictures I saw that most used ties where pieces of tree almost rough cut and laid down to accept the rail:

At first not knowing how to make them I discoverd in the local supermarket bamboo skewers. Somewhere I remembered reading of that subject, so I bought a package (not wanting to plunder my wife's stash... ;D) and cutting them to the calculated lenghts. After that I attached them to the plywood with white glue:

Levelling them after sanding. That part is a little tough because of the fact that this is very hard wood:

Cutting a stash for the main line part:

And laying them:

And the result:

Then I sanded again to level the whole thing. This is necessary for spiking the rail:

And staining. For that I still had some stuff that I got from a friend:

After drying it must be brushed with a steel and a brass brush.

Later more!

Grtz, Ronald.

LLIAXTEP

Looking forward to your project, Ronald. I have not built a complete layout yet, but for a while I was very much torn between the idea of building an "out of the box" type rr vs scratchbuilding everything and making it unique. An out of the box, I guess would be a great confidence booster, since it can be achieved in a short time with minimal dealys, and frustrations, but the gratification of having something unique is not there. Good to see you chose the high road!!! ;D

On a side note though, are you planning to drill the holes into each of the ties for spike placement, since it is hard wood?

Alex

Ronald

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the compliment. And yes, I'm going to spike all the rail. The bamboo ties are very hard and do not accept the Micro Engineering spikes without drilling a hole first.

Malachi Constant

Hi Ronald --

Welcome!  There's certainly nothing wrong with your "out of the box" layouts ... quite nicely composed and finished.  That said, it sounds like you're off in a new direction (which should be fun to watch) ... and the experienced gained on those earlier projects can only help.

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Ronald

Hi Dallas,

Thanks for your kind words! There is certainly nothing wrong with the previous layouts, I have no regrets in building them  ;)  I just need a new challenge in my  modelling to get more satisfaction of it :)

finescalerr

I recently read something about using bamboo for ties: You can't spike directly into it because it is too hard. You must first drill a hole. I'm afraid you have a big job ahead of you! -- Russ

Ronald

Yes Russ, you are so right! ;D I already did. look and shiver ;);

At first I laid the point and filed both rail:

Both rails on the side:

And the point with the guard rails:

The ME spike:

Drilled the hole and placed the spike:

And more:

The first part of the turnout partly spiked and pre-drilled:

The tool I use to drive the spike in (they are medium Micro Engineering), a self made screw with a flat side and a piece cut out that fits over the spike so that I can guard it in position:

And for the most spiked:

As it is a stub turnout it has no points. Instead the rail before the turnout moves. So I took two parts rail and cut them to length:

And layed them to fit:

More in approx. 20 minutes!

Ronald

Ah, I'm back. It is around 11 pm over here, I just returned from work and there is a little time to show you more!

After the previous point I stained the rest of the ties:

When it dried I brushed the ties. Then I laid my rail. Take the length:

Drill the holes:

And place the spikes:

More:

The pieces that I use to keep the track in gauge are from Wenz (http://wenz-modellbau.eshop.t-online.de/). They work like a charme. For the record; I use code 83. Not real finescale but to this point fine enough. The gauges are for code 100 but just work fine here.

The switch tie I made from a bamboo tie. I tried a pertinax one but that didn't work. The tie:

Spiked in place:

And working like a charme:

Straight:

Turning:

Looks good, isn't it? ;) At this point I spiked the rest of the turnout and pieces of rail with the still missing spikes.

Later more!

EDIT I almost forgot.... a made a video of the drilling and spiking. It's spoken in Dutch language, but you get the drill of it ;D ;) Enjoy!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSkjNdGg2v8

Grtz, Ronald.

Ray Dunakin

Congrats on getting into scratch-building! I think you'll enjoy it. I find it much more satisfying than kits, as I can create something unique.

A question about your stub switch: Shouldn't the ends of the rails fit closer together? It looks to me like a rather large gap there.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Ronald

Hi Ray,

The photo looks that way. Indeed the gap could be less wide, but I tried with a wheelset freerolling and it it runs very good in both directions.
In a next versions which will be build in the actual layout I will incorporate your idea and make the gaps less wide and more accurate.

Thanks for the comment! :)

Grtz, Ronald.

LeOn3

Hi Ronald,

Welcome to the world of scratchbuilding. Looks great and a nice subject your building on.

Leon

Malachi Constant

Quote from: Ronald on April 12, 2011, 02:01:06 AM
In a next versions which will be build in the actual layout ....

Hi Ronald --

This looks like very nice progress.  I think the spikes look quite large though.  If you'll be doing more on another layout, perhaps smaller spikes would look better.

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Ronald

Quote from: LeOn3 on April 13, 2011, 12:02:07 PM
Hi Ronald,

Welcome to the world of scratchbuilding. Looks great and a nice subject your building on.

Leon

Thanks, Leon! I will do my best ;)

Quote from: Malachi Constant on April 13, 2011, 01:14:09 PM
Quote from: Ronald on April 12, 2011, 02:01:06 AM
In a next versions which will be build in the actual layout ....

Hi Ronald --

This looks like very nice progress.  I think the spikes look quite large though.  If you'll be doing more on another layout, perhaps smaller spikes would look better.

Cheers,
Dallas

Thanks Dallas. Yes, you are correct, the ME spikes are to big. I'm looking at other brands who have a finer head. The German firm called "Wenz" has suitable ones that I will  order coming weeks. For now these will do, this way I learn a lot about self-building my track.

Other problem will be the flanges of the older rolling stock I purchased for this project. By older I mean the Rivarossi and Mantua loco's. But later more about that! :)

mabloodhound

Nice work Ronald.   The US Civil War is an interesting theme for RR modeling and your research is off to a good start.
You might be interested in Bernie Kempinski's layout although it is in 'O' scale.   He has done a lot of research and may be of some historical help to you.
He is generous and willing to share his knowledge.   His blog: http://www.usmrr.blogspot.com/
8)
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

Ronald

I know Dave... :)  I already had contact with him and also ordered his planning book which has a chapter about City Point, a very interesting subject for eventual a Civil War layout.

Thanks for pointing this out to me! ;)