• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Feldbahnmodule with ship

Started by fspg2, April 21, 2011, 12:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HelgeAndreas

That brickwork is a "Augenschmanckerl"!

Inspiring!

FG H

fspg2

I thank you for your approval!

@Bill

QuoteExcellent!
Do you know what type of material that discontinued landscape and construction adhesive was made of?  
It looks like it was perfect for staining areas that accidentally had some glue residue on them.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get any precise information about the composition of the landscape and construction adhesive, except that it is based on acrylic.

@Hauk
QuoteBut this project is so complex I have totally lost track of how everything is supposed to go together in the final layout. Have you ever arranged all the components to show how everything fits together? I would love to see that picture.

Have a look on page 16 - post from 08-09-2015: click

Here you can see the dimensions (in centimeter) of the modules:

Module_Abmessungen (fspg2)

Module_12_06_08_1 (fspg2)

Module_12_06_08_3 (fspg2)

Module_12_06_08_5 (fspg2)

Modul-Montage_43 (fspg2)

Modul-Montage_44 (fspg2)

Modul-Montage_45 (fspg2)

There are also many other small projects, such as the Kemna Gigant 8 roller, the Gmeinder 10-12 light rail locomotive.

There are now a lot of projects for which I, as a pensioner, will now have more time - at least I hope so!

A little bit of progress has been made on my loco shed, so the previously loosely laid tracks in the shed were fastened with Old Pullman nails.

Dreh-Schiebebuehne_116 (fspg2)

To do this, holes had to be pre-drilled with a 0.8mm drill, otherwise the small wire pins would bend immediately. I used to have the same nails of a significantly harder quality!

Dreh-Schiebebuehne_117 (fspg2)

The angle profiles that are soldered on lie on the edge of the wall. They still have to be fitted with small hexagonal screws.

Dreh-Schiebebuehne_118 (fspg2)

Dreh-Schiebebuehne_119 (fspg2)

All tracks and their nails will later be significantly aged.,

Dreh-Schiebebuehne_120 (fspg2)

The wooden beams have been pretreated with various stains and have so far gone through several stages of aging with pastel pencils and various stone powders ...
but more powder is scattered. I sprayed the intermediate steps with the landscape and construction glue every now and then.

Likewise, some diagonal struts have to be installed and further imitation wooden dowels glued in.,

Dreh-Schiebebuehne_121 (fspg2)

Dreh-Schiebebuehne_122 (fspg2)

The corrugated sheets were placed here loosely - as an experiment - in order to get a small preliminary impression.

Dreh-Schiebebuehne_123 (fspg2)

Stay healthy!
Frithjof
Frithjof

finescalerr

I love the whole concept of your layout as much as the individual models. -- Russ

Lawton Maner

I enjoy the appearance of decay in the weathering of the wood beams and ties.  If I close my eyes I can almost hear the wood rot.

Hauk

The level of your craftsmanship would be stunning for a single diorama.
Building a layout consisting of 10-15 dioramas is just flabbergasting.

Thanks for sharing!

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

1-32

now Hi Frithjof.
After all these years following the pieces now seeing it coming together great.
But the sleepers in the yard are special.
cheers Kim.

Bernd

I just spent three days reading every post of this thread.

All I can say is

Frithjof what an excellent presentation of your work. I have never seen such excellent "model engineering" work done on a model forum. I like how you show the use of jigs and fixtures to produce beautiful models. I've picked up a few ideas that I will be able to apply to model work in the future. Having metal working tools is a great asset to model building.

I can't wait to see more post from you.

Regards,
Bernd
New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

fspg2

@Russ, Lawton, Hauk, Kim, Bernd

Thanks for your kind words!

Today four small axle bearing brackets for the rotary slide table were milled out of a 3.0mm thick MS58 plate.

Two pieces to "practice". It happens again and again, if I just do the exact number I need, strangely enough, a part disappears without a trace ...

28_FFM (fspg2)

Drehschiebebuehne_127 (fspg2)

Drehschiebebuehne_128 (fspg2)

Drehschiebebuehne_129 (fspg2)

Drehschiebebuehne_130 (fspg2)

To drill the 2.0mm blind hole for the stub axle, I clamped the milled parts in a 4.0mm collet and mounted it on the small Emco Unimat 3.

Drehschiebebuehne_131 (fspg2)

One after the other, 1.5mm and 1.9mm were pre-drilled ...

Drehschiebebuehne_132 (fspg2)

... and then rubbed down to the final size with a reamer.

Drehschiebebuehne_133 (fspg2)

Drehschiebebuehne_134 (fspg2)

Drehschiebebuehne_135 (fspg2)

The length will be shortened by 5.0 mm. I had placed the retaining bar at the flatter end while milling.

Drehschiebebuehne_136 (fspg2)
Frithjof

Bernhard

Nice detail, Frithjof. I always find valuable ideas for fabricating parts in your posts.

Bernhard

Ray Dunakin

That traveling turntable is pretty cool.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Another example of perfect fabrication. Ho-hum .... -- Russ

fspg2

@Bernhard
I am happy when some ideas are helpful!

Looking for wheels (diameter of the running surface = 10.5mm) for the rotary slide table I found diese Webseite found.

It's almost like the semiconductor chips ... ordered on Feb 6. 2021 - delivery came at the end of September!

The profiling of the wheel centers on both sides was important to me.
Even if the wheel width is much narrower on the prototype, I'll use it first.
Let's see, maybe I'll have them 3D printed accordingly later.

I wanted to insert the wheels into the four axle bearings with the inner stub axles shortened to 5.5mm.
A befriended model builder came up with the idea for attaching the wheels mounted in this way, which I was able to implement successfully.

Drehschiebebuehne_137 (fspg2)

For this purpose, the axle was provided with grooves on both sides and shortened to length with a cutting disk.

Drehschiebebuehne_138 (fspg2)

During assembly, a small, appropriately shortened, M0.8mm screw from the underside of the axle bearing will secure the axle stub against slipping out. From the bottom because there is a little more material for the tap (0.8mm compared to 0.3mm on the top).

Drehschiebebuehne_140 (fspg2)

Drehschiebebuehne_139 (fspg2)
Frithjof

Barney

ITS INCREDIBLE AND VERY NICE
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

fspg2

Thanks Barney  :)

I used a 4.0mm ER20 collet for the bore.

If I had clamped a 3.0mm x 3.0mm square, the 2.0mm hole would have been made exactly centric.
The bottom of my small parts was only 2.5mm wide, so the drill hole is offset upwards.
When setting up the four axle bearings, I made sure that the lower edge was aligned in the same way with the same lamella of the collet (see picture above: Drehschiebebühne_134).
As a result, all parts got their holes in the same position ... just not in the middle from bottom to top - the distance on the sides was then identical.

Today there was a trial session:
Drehschiebebuehne_141 (fspg2)

Drehschiebebuehne_142 (fspg2)

Drehschiebebuehne_143 (fspg2)

The wheel width is quite thin compared to the original!  :(
Frithjof

finescalerr

That is as perfect as fabrication gets. -- Russ