• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Feldbahnmodule with ship

Started by fspg2, April 21, 2011, 12:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fspg2

Hi, everyone,

Since my CNC milling machine is currently defective, it was very convenient for me that Volker created a 3D file for a Schottel sloop recently. Thank you again for that!

Schottel_Schaluppe_01 (fspg2)

Through a tip from a model building friend, I came to an Italian supplier who offers interesting graduated prices.
The price varies depending on the desired delivery date!
Although I had chosen the longest time (approx. three weeks) and therefore the cheapest price, the package arrived from Italy today - after only six days!

The hull has been chosen for 3D printing in natural gray with brackets.
Gray resin ABS like was used as the material.

Bildschirmfoto_2022_02_10_um_14_20_22 (fspg2)

(Click on each image to enlarge it!)

If I had ordered today, I would have paid almost €2.00 less. Postage and German VAT will then be added!

Bildschirmfoto_2022_02_10_um_14_31_44 (fspg2)

The model was separated so that the resin can drain out of the cavities under the front and rear "metal plates" during printing.

Once the two "tin plates"...:

Schottel_Schaluppe_02 (fspg2)

...and the body:

Schottel_Schaluppe_03 (fspg2)

A day later, after uploading, a warning message came from the vendor because some of the printed parts had a wall thickness of less than one millimeter: (some only 0.4 mm, 0.6 mm and 0.98 mm).
I was given the choice of uploading a modified new file or printing at my own risk.

It was worth the risk  :)

Now the many small retaining bars must be separated carefully and the attachment points lightly sanded.

Schottel_Schaluppe_04 (fspg2)

Schottel_Schaluppe_05 (fspg2)

So the first ship has arrived to live up to the title of the thread  ;)

Oh, by the way, I'm not related to the manufacturer... - I'm just enthusiastic about the speed and the quality :)
Frithjof

finescalerr

That will need some very delicate work but the result will be outstanding. -- Russ

Bill Gill

That looks very good and extremely thin and fragile. But it does look like the risk of trying to print it was worth it.

If you squint and look at the photo it could be a small ship on the ways preparing for launching. 

1-32

Hi Frithof.
Impressive, Volker did a very good job with the drafting and I am sure that you will do a great job but it is so thin.
cheers Kim

fspg2

Volker really did a great job :)

Some parts are very thin indeed - although the scale is 1:22.5. A wall thickness of 1.0mm in the model is already 2.25cm thick at the prototype! The small boat must have been very heavy then :-)

By the service provider for 3D printing, I could have also chosen a version "without brackets", but then the print would have been about €20.00 more expensive.

So I only started with a small cutting disc to separate the holding webs. However, it was too dusty for me, so I quickly grabbed a small, wade-free side cutter and clipped through what felt like around 300 thin bars from below, piece by piece carefully.

Then I got on board to rehearse:

Schottel_Schaluppe_06 (fspg2)

The casts, which are still visible, were then carefully sanded with 240-gauge wet sandpaper.

Schottel_Schaluppe_07 (fspg2)

My left hand held the camera for the above shot. I usually hold the object to be sanded in my hand so that I can better control the pressure with the sandpaper.
Frithjof

finescalerr

That boat is a perfect example of why every serious modeler in the future will need a 3-D CAD program and a 3-D printer. Look at the beautiful results! -- Russ

Bernhard

Yes, excellent work, Volker and Frithjof. I know how difficult it is to model objects with such freeform surfaces in 3D.

Bernhard

Ray Dunakin

Amazing that such a thin-walled object could be printed!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

fspg2

Hello everyone,

a few sheet metal parts have been milled again in the last few days - it is a pleasure that the control of the milling machine could be repaired again
As a friend said: "There is life without a milling machine... but it would be more pointless - at least a little!"

0_4mm_Blech_01 (fspg2)

Knotenblech_Gruppe_4_fach (fspg2)

...and drilled many holes in L and U profiles (of different lengths).

The individual U- and L-profiles of a portal side wall were lined up with a distance of 2.2mm and saved as a file.

For the U-profiles, 1.4mm grooves were milled into an MDF board and 3.0mm x 1.5mm U-profiles were inserted and fixed with masking tape. Then 1.2mm holes were drilled and the individual parts were cut to length with a 2.0mm cutter. This was done four times for each side wall.

Traeger_Montage_40 (fspg2)

Traeger_Montage_41 (fspg2)

The 3.0mm x 3.0mm L-profiles were placed back to back in pairs in an 1.0mm wide and 3.2mm deep groove. Since the legs are 0.45mm thick, I inserted a 0.1mm sheet metal strip between the legs. After that, maskig tape came to the rescue again.
The two sides of the thigh were drilled and milled differently. Then the two legs were exchanged with each other and the opposite side was machined. A small brass stop was milled into the MDF board on one long side so that the two profiles could also be processed congruently.

Traeger_Montage_44 (fspg2)

After the 404 L- and Ui-profiles were ready, the MDP panel looked like this:

Traeger_Montage_52 (fspg2)

The profiles that belong together were sorted into small boxes and labeled.

Traeger_Montage_50 (fspg2)

I will start with the assembly of the four inner side parts of the portal.

Traeger_Montage_48 (fspg2)

The lifting bridge will reflect the riveted condition of 1901.... so the consideration was whether it would make sense to use real brass rivets.

However, this would result in several disadvantages:

On the one hand, 50 rivets cost around €5.30 with a minimum purchase of 1000 pieces. Since I need 2712 pieces (+ quite a few more, which are distributed somewhere in the room during assembly...), that would be around €300.00.

Secondly, one side would have a wonderful semi-circular head, the opposite side would have a significantly smaller diameter after rounding with an appropriate hollow cutter (also finishing cutter) - e.g.: head = 1.3mm and the shank only 1.0mm.

Volker had shown an ingenious way with his Oesterbrücke: click (scroll down further in this post!)

Advantage: with this amount of rivets required, I come to 18.00 €
Disadvantage: both sides have to be wounded... there are only 5424 ends.

First attempts with existing wire and finishing cutters made me doubt whether my wire was perhaps too soft (MS63?). The hollow cutter immediately clogged.
New MS58 wire was ordered... and the first test gives me courage. Likewise, Volker had also achieved great results!

The first few meters of wire were cut into 5.0mm long pieces on the sheet metal cutting machine.
Due to the bevel, the 1.2mm thick wire pieces should "slide" more easily into the 1.2mm holes, which works well in some cases......
...but, the wire has slightly different diameters due to the manufacturing process. Threading in at 1.22mm next to 1.19mm is not always fun.

Traeger_Montage_54 (fspg2)

This can be remedied by a conical square reamer, which has been given a stop limiter by a tube that has been pushed on, so that I don't ream the holes too far.

Traeger_Montage_53 (fspg2)

There is again a Pertinax gauge for easier assembly. At the points where the wire pins are pressed in, 2.0mm deep holes with a diameter of 1.3mm are drilled so that the pin has enough length on the underside for later rounding.

Traeger_Montage_51 (fspg2)
Frithjof

finescalerr

All of us must be very glad that your milling machine works again because it is so satisfying to see your designs turn into reality. -- Russ

1-32

Hi Frithjof.
How did you survive without your milling machine, you use it so well.
The fabrication is coming along very well great update about the rivets.
Cheers, Kim.

Ray Dunakin

I'm very happy to see that you are once again making progress on this great project!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Bernhard

What a Sisyphean task! But perfect and instructive as always.

Bernhard

fspg2

Thank you for the kind words

Even if it's like a Sisyphean task, it's just fun to make some progress with the lifting bridge project.

Clicking on the individual images will take you to the gallery. Another click is enough to enlarge the image!

So I was able to solder the first two parts together in soldering jigs.

Traeger_Montage_55 (fspg2)

Traeger_Montage_57 (fspg2)

Front and back of outer main beam panel. Some rivets were pressed with the rivet stamping machine to make assembly easier later.

Traeger_Montage_56 (fspg2)

Traeger_Montage_58 (fspg2)

To make things a bit more varied, I can start by twisting the rivet heads in addition to assembling the other side parts.

Traeger_Montage_59 (fspg2)
Frithjof

Bernhard

I am always fascinated by these elegant old riveted construction, which are, after all, mainly made of sheet metal and angle profiles. Great implementation, Frithjof.

Bernhard