• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Feldbahnmodule with ship

Started by fspg2, April 21, 2011, 12:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hauk

Good to see that the mill is up and running again!

The results are fantastic as usual.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

fspg2

@Bernhard
QuoteI am always fascinated by these elegant old riveted construction, which are, after all, mainly made of sheet metal and angle profiles. Great implementation, Frithjof.

Thank you Bernhard - When I saw this rivet construction for the first time, I was blown away!
These few sheet metal plates, L- and U-profiles alone are surprisingly stable when they are soldered together.

@Hauk
Thank you!

At first I didn't quite succeed in twisting the soldered wire pins.
I had tried to finish the pins - without shortening them - with the finishing cutter. Apart from the fact that it took a long time to get the protrusions of up to 2.5mm to 0.6mm head height, quite a lot of heat was generated and the small milling cutter clogged up very quickly, so that it no longer showed any abrasive effect. Grrrr....
A small wooden stick every few roundings, which I pressed vertically against the milling cutter to clean, helped.
Also quite tedious and unsatisfactory when I think of the rivet heads still ahead of me....

The next attempts went much better when I shortened the wire ends freehand with the fordless side cutters.
However, the respective remaining lengths were slightly different in length, so that some millings were quite quick, but others - the longer the wire end was - more tedious.

In the end, various 0.3mm and 0.5mm thick spacer sheets were milled, which were drilled with 2.0mm holes in some places to allow the wire ends to pass through.

I put these sheets in the appropriate places as a test and the side cutters grabbed....

Traeger_Montage_63 (fspg2)

With 0.5mm sheet metal, the wire ends are still too long!

Traeger_Montage_64 (fspg2)

I got the best result with the thinner sheet metal, although the required rivet head height is 0.6mm.

Traeger_Montage_65 (fspg2)

Now it only takes a few seconds and the rivet head is rounded without me having to use the wooden stick to clean it up.

Traeger_Montage_66 (fspg2)

Traeger_Montage_67 (fspg2)

In between, the work was examined with a magnifying glass and a few spots were marked in red so that the hollow milling cutter can be used again.
From time to time the sheet metal was scratched a bit, but this is no longer noticeable after sandblasting.       

Traeger_Montage_68 (fspg2)

The five rivets of the right strap on the lower diagonal are not visible with the naked eye, only the photo shows the part mercilessly :) - well, I'll have to go there again.
Frithjof

Barney

Miniature engineering of the best
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

finescalerr

Bill Gill

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

fspg2

Thank you all!

Clicking on the individual images will take you to the gallery. Another click is enough to enlarge the image!

For easier assembly of the lower side parts, a left and a right laminated paper template were milled into which the gusset plates are placed in the corresponding recesses.

Traeger_Montage_69 (fspg2)

[size=85](Die Ausrichtung der lose aufgelegten U-Pofile ist auf dem Bild noch verdreht)[/size] ;-)

After all the brass pins and profiles were positioned, everything could be soldered together.
Here, too, the pins were shortened with the side cutter, whereby I achieved the different lengths of the wires with three brass templates of different thicknesses (0.3mm - 0.5mm - 0.7mm).

Traeger_Montage_76 (fspg2)

Then the ends were only slightly rounded.

Traeger_Montage_71 (fspg2)

The rounded wires have different lengths because they are inserted into the corner profiles, for example, and the rivet head must still be visible on the inside.

Traeger_Montage_72 (fspg2)

Traeger_Montage_70 (fspg2)

Now I was able to put the inside and the lower left side part together loosely to check the height of the rivet heads that were pushed through.

Traeger_Montage_73 (fspg2)

Traeger_Montage_74 (fspg2)

Heads that were too high were marked red and had to be put under the finishing cutter again.

Traeger_Montage_75 (fspg2)

Using the hard paper templates ensures that all four towers are identical before I can solder them in pairs to the cross members then.

But it will still be many hours before the individual prefabricated sheets and profiles are soldered to the wire pins...
Frithjof

Hauk

You can NEVER have too many rivets! Lovely work!
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

finescalerr

Your components always look as good as finished models. Beautiful work. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

I love the look of this style of construction, and your work perfectly duplicates it in miniature!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

fspg2

Thanks a lot!

Because the control of my milling machine failed again, I drew a little further.
For the two lateral portal supports I want to mill out a common base plate soon in order to put the entire lifting mechanism on a secure footing.

Portal_Bodenplatte_01 (fspg2)

Portal_Bodenplatte_02 (fspg2)

Traeger_Montage_mit_Schacht_01 (fspg2)

Traeger_Montage_mit_Schacht_02 (fspg2)

In the meantime I soldered together all the individual parts (except for the roof) for the first portal and shortened the wires and rounded them on both sides.

Traeger_Montage_77 (fspg2)

Traeger_Montage_78 (fspg2)

Since I can alternately solder, shorten, round off and also draw again, the missing milling machine doesn't distract me at the moment.
However, now I have to go a little more closely to investigate the causes of why the same axis is always no longer working the way I want it to.
Frithjof

finescalerr

Nobody would think you had any kind of problem, from the mill or anything else, because of the perfection of your work. -- Russ

fspg2

Hubbruecke_LEA_Ausschnitt (fspg2)

Copyright: Lauenburger Elbschiffahrtsarchiv

Since most of the individual parts for the two main portals have been soldered and the rivets wound, now I can free my floor from the around 5000 wire ends that have been pinched off so far.

In the meantime I have started to look more closely at the drawings for the main bridge.

Hauptbruecke_Grundskizze_01 (fspg2)

Hauptbruecke_Grundskizze_02 (fspg2)

Hauptbruecke_Grundskizze_03 (fspg2)

Then I created a 3D view from the three individual sketches - mind you, only half the length of the bridge is shown here. The total length of the movable main bridge segment is 112.44 cm in the model.

Hauptbruecke_Grundskizze_04 (fspg2)

I started with the page display (Hauptbruecke_Grundskizze_02).
I scaled this drawing to the model length with Photoshop and used it as a background for the first basic sketch.
I converted the original dimensions and drew in auxiliary lines for all the necessary elements.
I cheated a bit with some dimensions, so I drew an angle profile with the original dimensions of 100mm x 65mm (arithmetically at 1:22.5 this results in 4.44mm x 2.89mm) now with 4.5mm x 3.0mm, since there are corresponding profiles to buy

However, I was shocked by the prices from individual suppliers, e.g. a 1000mm/4.5mm x 4.5mm L-profile gross at a Provider even cost €19.43.

Hauptbruecke_Montage_A (fspg2)

Hauptbruecke_Montage_B (fspg2)

Hauptbruecke_Montage_C (fspg2)

Hauptbruecke_Montage_Knotenbleche_Animation (fspg2)

Most of you should know it: With a click on the respective picture you get to the corresponding gallery - a further click results in an enlargement, where you can see the details better.
Frithjof

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

Barney

Absolutely Mad but just excellent in all ways
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson