• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Feldbahnmodule with ship

Started by fspg2, April 21, 2011, 12:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Amazing how much passion we manage to pour into constructing obscure corners of history!

Inspiring stuff.

Lawrence
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

Sami

An impressive amount of detail !

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

fspg2

Thank you all!

My storage is slowly filling up.

The gusset plates shown in the following two overviews I milled for the side parts 4 times...

Knotenbleche_aussen_innen_0,4mm_01 (fspg2)

and 1 time for the underside:

Knotenbleche_Boden_0,4mm_01 (fspg2)

Knotenbleche_Vorrat_0,4mm_01 (fspg2)

The side legs of the Z-profiles were additionally drilled with 1.0mm holes for the outer and inner gusset plates.
Two opposing Z-profiles were placed in a correspondingly milled groove in an MDF board.

Profile_fraesen_06 (fspg2)

Profile_fraesen_07 (fspg2)

Profile_fraesen_08 (fspg2)

A 2.0mm brass stop ensured congruent alignment. In addition, a small wooden stick and the crepe tape gave a secure hold when drilling.

Profile_fraesen_09 (fspg2)

Profile_fraesen_10 (fspg2)

Because my stock of 3.0mm sheet brass was no longer sufficient for 4 identical roller guides on the portals,
I milled the base plate from 2.0mm. This received a 2.0mm wide and 0.4mm deep groove in the middle.
The 2.0mm x 1.5mm thick square rods that are soldered into the groove now give me the required thickness of 3.1mm.

Rollenfuehrung_fraesen_01 (fspg2)

Rollenfuehrung_fraesen_02 (fspg2)

Frithjof

finescalerr

What a complicated model! -- Russ

Bernhard

As always, absolutely perfect and inspiring.

Bernhard

Ray Dunakin

This is beyond modeling...it's more like engineering in miniature!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

TRAINS1941

A work of art!  Beautiful work and the patience to go with it!!

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

fspg2

@Russ
There are certainly more complicated things.
Although I often think that I have interpreted everything correctly so far, I keep discovering new things in the original scans that I had previously overlooked or incorrectly drawn in later, in supplementary CAD drawings.

@Bernhard, @Ray, @Jerry
Of course, I could certainly get to a result much faster if I didn't take accuracy so seriously.
Unfortunately, there are enough examples in many other forums that look great at first glance, but when you take a closer look, e.g. at an exhibition, the first impression is unfortunately often put into perspective. I don't want to offend anyone, it's a hobby - and it should be fun. Only I personally feel sorry for the time and the material, if I could have done it better.... with a little more patience. I don't have to be finished tomorrow, the journey is the reward  :)

It went a little further now, so I have the four weights

Gewichte_15 (fspg2)

built into the main bridge and which checks the position of the deflection rollers. I had already converted and drawn these in 2016 according to the original drawings.

Gewichte_01 (fspg2)

Now that the main bridge has been drawn, I had to move two pulleys sideways by 0.8mm so that the ropes are exactly aligned.

Rollenmontage_02 (fspg2)

Seilfuehrung_01 (fspg2)

Hubbruecke_komplett_02 (fspg2)

In order to mount the longitudinal and transverse girders of the movable main bridge,

Hauptbruecke_Montageschblone_Bodengruppe_06 (fspg2)

I drew an assembly template...

Hauptbruecke_Montageschblone_Bodengruppe_01 (fspg2)

... and milled in MDF. The respective grooves are 2.5mm deep:

Hauptbruecke_Montageschblone_Bodengruppe_10 (fspg2)

In the following picture you can see different colored gusset plates (half each as right and left version). These are milled from 0.4mm and 0.5mm MS58 sheet metal.

Hauptbruecke_Montageschblone_Bodengruppe_05 (fspg2)

The gusset plates are saved as a copy and are given a radius of the respective material thickness + 1/1000mm on the outside edge and a radius of 1/1000mm on the inside.

Knotenblech_praegen_01 (fspg2)

An unrolling is generated from this. At the bend edge (between the red dashed lines) a groove of half the material thickness is then created on the router with a V-milling cutter (here a 91° box graver).

Knotenblech_praegen_02 (fspg2)

Knotenblech_praegen_03 (fspg2)

Knotenblech_praegen_04 (fspg2)

After milling out, the small gusset plates were annealed with a gas burner so that the rivet head does not press out when the rivet is stamped.

Knotenblech_praegen_05 (fspg2)

The milled parts were then positioned under the embossing stamp with the help of a milled sheet of brass and some transparent adhesive film. In doing so, I used the tip to touch the points previously punched 0.2mm deep on the back with the V-milling cutter.

Knotenblech_praegen_06 (fspg2)

The adhesive film had to be changed after about three passes.
Before the subsequent bending, the slightly crooked parts are straightened again.
Frithjof

finescalerr

fspg2

Tomorrow, small "frogs" (here shown here in red), whose original dimensions are about 40mm x 40mm, will be milled out of 2.0mm x 1.0mm L-profile to fasten the rail profiles on the movable bridge.

Hauptbruecke_Montageschblone_Bodengruppe_06 (fspg2)

Hauptbruecke_Montageschblone_Bodengruppe_07 (fspg2)

The screws are M0.6mm, with a wrench size of 1.0mm... there are 136 of them... sure, that may be crazy, but you'll see them later.

Hauptbruecke_Montageschblone_Bodengruppe_08 (fspg2)

By the way, the rails are not insulated because I will be driving with a battery.

Hauptbruecke_Montageschblone_Bodengruppe_09 (fspg2)

In addition to the gusset plates, I milled the outer longitudinal beam elements from 5.5mm x 2.0mm U-profile.

They received 0.15mm deep markings on the outside with the V-milling cutter - these are later used to position the rivet embossing stamp.

Profile_fraesen_11 (fspg2)

Profile_fraesen_12 (fspg2)

The ends that grip the insides of the cross members have been shortened 0.7mm deep. So they are flush with the top. In the MDF gauge, I work overhead to make it easier to achieve this conciseness.

Profile_fraesen_13 (fspg2)
Frithjof

finescalerr

Frithjof, you are what we would call an "advanced modeler" and your work is satisfactory. -- Russ

Bill Gill

Frithjof, "advanced" as in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stuart

We're talking museum quality work here.  Absolutely amazing!

Stuart

fspg2

Well, don't overdo it - it's just a bit of modeling :)

I need the gusset plates in 5 different variants, in which both the height and the rivet pattern differ.
Today I milled out new gusset plates from 0.5mm nickel silver and pressed the rivets. However, I left the individual gusset plates with retaining bars on the plate. This made positioning under the embossing stamp much easier.

Knotenblech_praegen_07 (fspg2)

The remaining fluff from the adhesive film is washed off with spirit before the parts are bent.

Knotenblech_praegen_08 (fspg2)

In the meantime I have milled the mounting board again on the back....
First I have to solder the rivets on the vertical Z-profiles in connection with the crossbeams and round the wires, because later I can no longer get between them vertically with the finishing cutter.
However, the Z-profiles now needed through-holes through the MDF board. In addition, the inserted wooden limit rods had to be moved outwards on both sides by 0.65mm (wall thickness of the Z-profiles + 5/100th of the air). This allows the Z-profiles to protrude downwards through the plate when I solder the crossbeams to the solebars and the gusset plates.
I machined the through holes in the board on both sides with a 10.5mm long 2.0mm milling cutter, since the MDF board is 19mm thick.

Hauptbruecke_Montageschblone_Bodengruppe_11 (fspg2)

Hauptbruecke_Montageschblone_Bodengruppe_12 (fspg2)

The recesses in the mounting plate are slowly filling up... a few gusset plates are still missing...

Hauptbruecke_Montageschblone_Bodengruppe_13 (fspg2)
Frithjof