• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Feldbahnmodule with ship

Started by fspg2, April 21, 2011, 12:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fspg2

In the meantime I was able to mill out a few more parts.

Since there is no U-profile with the dimensions 13.0mm x 4.0mm to buy, I had already received 15.0mm x 4.0mm profiles from Hassler (http://www.hassler-profile.li/ ) in 2016 and separated them in the middle with a 1.5mm cutter.

Quertraeger_trennen_01 (fspg2)

Quertraeger_trennen_02 (fspg2)

Quertraeger_trennen_05 (fspg2)

After I soldered the two bent halves back together with the help of small holding blocks, I got a height of 13.5mm.

Quertraeger_trennen_06 (fspg2)

However, when I recently tried to slide the four profiles into the side gantry beams on a trial basis, the corresponding openings were unfortunately too narrow by 0.5mm.

Hauptbruecke_Montage_Portal_009 (fspg2)

What could I do?
a) cut the parts that are too wide again in the middle with a 0.5mm milling cutter,
b) order new profiles and cut them in the middle with a 2.0mm cutter,
C) Mill out the required profiles from a 4.0mm MS58 flat material.

I chose the third option. Even if the lateral bevels of the two profile legs and the roundings are missing, it will hardly be noticeable afterwards, as they are covered by the bridge parts.

As I recently wrote:

So all the HDF/plywood panels were converted from 3D view to DWG to DXF to job and finally to tap files, which eventually go onto the router.

...I was asked what you can imagine by that.

Two portal cross member profiles (yellow) were arranged in a 3D file so that they fit on the 250.0mm x 40.0mm x 4.0mm MS58 flat material (green) and had space for a 2.0mm milling cutter all around .

This file was placed in a DWG drawing and colored the different edges and holes with different colors. So I got different layers for the tap file derived from this, to which I could assign the corresponding drills and milling cutters with the respective parameters (diameter, speed, feed, immersion depth and immersion type, starting point, direction, holding webs,...).
Portalträger_05 (fspg2)

Portalträger_02 (fspg2)

Portalträger_03 (fspg2)

Portalträger_04 (fspg2)

The milled parts were first straightened out a little after the small retaining bars had been separated.

Now a few 0.8mm and 1.0mm mounting holes were missing on the upper thigh surfaces.

A milled groove (cyan) with two cross stops (blue) in a HPL scrap sheet and two additionally inserted brass profiles helped to align the profiles at right angles.

Querträger_Portal_Löcher_Schenkel_oben_01 (fspg2)

In addition, I inserted a 3.0mm thick flat profile to avoid wobbling while drilling.

Querträger_Portal_Löcher_Schenkel_oben_02 (fspg2)

Querträger_Portal_Löcher_Schenkel_oben_03 (fspg2)
Frithjof

Bernhard

That's what I call uncompromising model making!

Bernhard

fspg2

@Bernhard
Sometimes I try to get as close as possible to the prototyp, even if it's not the fastest way to get to the goal.

Next, a number of details for the two portal cross members have to be made.

Querträger_Details_04 (fspg2)

As in the animation already shown recently,

Auflager_Nebenbrücke_02 (fspg2)

the four supports for the secondary bridges were milled from six individual parts each and soldered together. Instead of the red roller in the animation, I milled a fixed bearing block with a 3.0mm hole. Corresponding bolts on the underside of the two adjacent secondary bridges will be securely positioned here later.

Auflager_Nebenbrücke_07 (fspg2)

Also here I have made one part more, you never know  ;)

Auflager_Nebenbrücke_08 (fspg2)

Auflager_Nebenbrücke_09 (fspg2)

Today, the eight (+1) U-profiles connecting the two portal cross beams were added.

Querträger_Details_01 (fspg2)

Querträger_Details_03 (fspg2)

Querträger_Details_02 (fspg2)
Frithjof

fspg2

Even if the work steps are always similar, every small angle of the two portal crossbeams has different lengths and drill hole spacing.
Here four 3.0mm x 3.0mm and 3.5mm x 3.5mm L-profiles were milled several times as right and left versions.
As before, the legs were inserted into a 1.0mm wide and 3.6mm deep groove back to back.
Since the legs of the 3.0mm x 3.0mm profile have a thickness of only 0.4mm (instead of 0.5mm for the 3.5mm x 3.5mm profile), a 0.2mm sheet metal strip was inserted tightly between them. In the milling drawing it had been considered accordingly, so that the 1.0mm holes were also drilled at the correct position.
After the first leg was drilled, the two profiles were swapped and the second leg received its deviating holes.

Querträger_Details_05 (fspg2)

Querträger_Details_06 (fspg2)

During the first positioning test with the 19.3mm long connecting U-profile, there was nothing to complain about.

Querträger_Details_07 (fspg2)

Slowly the box is filling up with the details for the two portal beams.

Querträger_Details_08 (fspg2)

Now the leveling units have to come from the 3D printer first, before I can solder the four short connecting U-profiles to the two cross beams, otherwise the M0.8mm connecting screws cannot be mounted. The 1:22.5 scale is sometimes a little small after all :)

Nivelliereinheit_10x_Druck_101% (fspg2)

On the following picture, the rivets at the left support of the side bridges are not yet rounded.
The M0.8mm screws have a wrench size of 1.3mm... I needed the headband magnifier for that  ;)

Querträger_Details_09 (fspg2)
Frithjof

finescalerr

Satisfactory. And I hope visitors, who may not belong to the forum but see your work, truly appreciate it. -- Russ

Bernhard

As always, absolutely precise and perfect work.

Bernhard

Bill Gill

If the dictionary had a photo for an example of "Scracthbuilding" your work would be it.
it really is impressive to follow along.

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

fspg2

Thanks to all
@Bill
It goes on with the ,,scratchbuilding".

The next part will be the connecting rod between the float cylinder and the lift bridge.

Verbindungsstange_Schwimmer zu Hubbrücke_1 (fspg2)

Verbindungsstange_Schwimmer zu Hubbrücke_2 (fspg2)

For this I was able to persuade the milling machine to spit out a number of small parts in the last few days.

Verbindungsstange_Schwimmer_zu_Hubbrücke_04 (fspg2)

After the required parts were milled out of 0.3mm and 0.5mm nickel silver sheets, they were freed from the remains of the adhesive foil on the back.
With the help of a homemade sandpaper file (wooden stick with clad 1000 sandpaper) I then removed the slight degree formation that occurs when drilling and milling through on the underside.

Verbindungsstange_Schwimmer_zu_Hubbrücke_05 (fspg2)

The connecting rod consists of two lateral 6.0mm x 3.0mm U-profiles that are connected to the diagonal braces with wire pins.
To do this, 100 rivet imitations must be fitted for each of the four connecting rods.
As before, I clamped a 0.8mm MS58 wire in the Emco lathe and rounded it on one side with a Twincut hollow cutter and then cut off pieces about 5mm long in each case (as shown here).

Verbindungsstange_Schwimmer_zu_Hubbrücke_07 (fspg2)

In order to allow the resulting rivet heads on the inside of the U-profiles to dip evenly with only the rounded end, two different stops were milled from 5.0mm HPL sheets. The first stop inserted into the U-profile allows the rivet heads to dip by 0.4mm.
For the opposite side, the second stop has a corresponding cutout on both sides.

Verbindungsstange_Schwimmer_zu_Hubbrücke_08 (fspg2)

Verbindungsstange_Schwimmer_zu_Hubbrücke_09 (fspg2)

Verbindungsstange_Schwimmer_zu_Hubbrücke_10 (fspg2)

Verbindungsstange_Schwimmer_zu_Hubbrücke_11 (fspg2)
Frithjof

Barney

Very impressive - I just love it
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

finescalerr

Frithjof is a virtuoso. -- Russ

fspg2

It goes a little further step by step.

You can hardly believe how long just the small parts require time.
The four small curved holders for the floating cylinder suspension served as an example.

Schwimmzylinder_Aufhängung_08 (fspg2)

They were milled out of a 3.0mm brass flat in pairs - one more pair to be on the safe side.

Schwimmzylinder_Aufhängung_04 (fspg2)

Two 20.0mm x 23.0mm Pertinax half-shells with a center-milled 1.0mm slot are used to accurately position a 1.0mm drill.

Schwimmzylinder_Aufhängung_05 (fspg2)

Schwimmzylinder_Aufhängung_06 (fspg2)

Thus, the upper hole was drilled at both ends.

Schwimmzylinder_Aufhängung_07 (fspg2)

Then the parts prepared in this way were placed tightly in a recess with stops on both sides and the 1.2mm holes were drilled. A 1.5mm cutter then separated the two holders.

Schwimmzylinder_Aufhängung_09 (fspg2)

One holder each is later attached to the mounting bracket of the float cylinder.

Schwimmer_80 (fspg2)

Schwimmzylinder_Aufhängung_01 (fspg2)

Schwimmzylinder_Aufhängung_02 (fspg2)

The mounting brackets are now waiting to be soldered together.

Schwimmzylinder_Aufhängung_03 (fspg2)

Schwimmzylinder_Aufhängung_10 (fspg2)

Ten days after ordering, the 3D-printed brass leveling units arrived yesterday.
After I sanded the slightly visible layer steps with a sandpaper file, the sandblasting gun smoothed out the rest.

Nivelliereinheit_10x_Druck_101%_02 (fspg2)

A scroll saw was used to cut off the bottom casts and smooth the bottoms on 400-grit sandpaper.

Nivelliereinheit_10x_Druck_101%_03 (fspg2)

The fiddling work now consists of installing the M0.8mm screws and nuts and the many 1.0mm rivet pins. Patience will be required here.

Nivelliereinheit_10x_Druck_101%_04 (fspg2)
Frithjof

finescalerr

The smallest parts always seem to require the most time. As for the results: Satisfactory. -- Russ

Bernhard

And again a few more perfect parts!

Bernhard

Bill Gill

I think the only prototype thing you have not replicated is mining and refining the metal.
The care and the precision you take with all the processes of your work is outstanding and the result is very evident ithroughout the entire model.