• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Feldbahnmodule with ship

Started by fspg2, April 21, 2011, 12:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fspg2

I wrote
QuoteLater, a removable, appropriately curved 0.3mm roof with inner supports will cover everything. This will allow me to adjust the bevel gears and grease them later if necessary.

The inner supports were milled out of HPL and Pertinax.

Getriebegehäuse  Füllung 01 (fspg2)

Getriebegehäuse  Füllung 02 (fspg2)

The 3.0 mm thick Pertinax parts are precisely lined up with 1.0 mm brass rods and glued together.

Getriebegehäuse  03 (fspg2)

Getriebegehäuse  04 (fspg2)

They form a fixed unit and are also bonded to the roof panel.

Getriebegehäuse  05 (fspg2)

Another Pertinax gauge will help to bring the sheet into the desired bend.

Getriebegehäuse  Füllung 03 (fspg2)

Getriebegehäuse  10 (fspg2)

Contrary to the original idea of using a 0.3 mm thick sheet, I have partially recessed a 0.5 mm thick nickel silver sheet by 0.3 mm. The inner area then sits in the edge recesses of the side plates of the gearbox housing, while the 0.2 mm thick edge protrudes laterally by 0.2 mm. This prevents water from penetrating into the inner box.

Getriebegehäuse  Dachhülle 01 (fspg2)

The nickel silver sheet was annealed before bending. I used the recessed area with the 2.5 mm hole to align it with the gearbox. This ensured parallel rounding of the outer edges when bending over the box.

Getriebegehäuse  Dachhülle 02 (fspg2)

So that I can also remove the roof, it was shortened on the back above the 2.5mm hole.
A corresponding 0.2mm thick nickel silver sheet is soldered to the back of the gearbox before the protective tube for the 2.0mm silver steel axle is soldered in. This makes the protrusion appear even from the outside.

Getriebegehäuse  Dachhülle 03 (fspg2)

To solder the small protective tubes (with a wall thickness of only 0.2 mm) at right angles to the walls of the box, a Pertinax jig is once again used.

Getriebegehäuse  06 (fspg2)

Getriebegehäuse  07 (fspg2)

Getriebegehäuse  08 (fspg2)

Getriebegehäuse  09 (fspg2)

Frithjof

Sami

I am always impressed by the precision of your work.

Bernhard

I would also say that's really impressive!

Bernhard

fspg2

It continues with small steps.

Getriebegehäuse  Dachhülle 04 (fspg2)

A 2.0mm Pertinax sheet was used for the "interior fittings... However, I had to sand individual pieces flat on a board covered with sandpaper to achieve the desired total width of 18mm for the 9 individual elements arranged in a row. The board had a wall thickness of 2.14mm.

Getriebegehäuse  Dachhülle 05 (fspg2)

I then pressed everything into the outer Pertinax jig again with the vice.

Getriebegehäuse  Dachhülle 06 (fspg2)

Getriebegehäuse  Dachhülle 07 (fspg2)

As I have already described above, the removable roof plate should have an extension made of 0.2 mm nickel silver sheet soldered onto the rear wall.

Getriebegehäuse  Dachhülle 08 (fspg2)

In order to be able to screw the M 1.6 Allen screws into the collar of the 4.0 mm diameter bevel gears, I fixed them on a long M2.0 mm screw and carefully drilled through the center one after the other with 1.0 mm and 1.3 mm drill bits. With a few drops of oil, it worked wonderfully.

Kegelzahnrad Modul 0,4  _04 (fspg2)

Kegelzahnrad Modul 0,4  _05 (fspg2)

Frithjof

finescalerr

From now on I should hire you to build my models. -- Russ

fspg2

@Russ
QuoteFrom now on I should hire you to build my models. -- Russ

Good idea, but unfortunately it will probably be many, many years before I have some breathing space. There are about 15 other projects in my boxes that are waiting to be completed. And I haven't even thought about all the ideas that are just buzzing around in my head. So please be patient. ;)  :)

I am always very pleased when things sometimes work out as desired.
Just recently, for example, it turned out that a protective tube had to be routed from the engine inside the crane housing to the elevated gearbox. This requires a 2.5mm hole to be drilled through the roof.

Once again, a little Pertinax lesson helped.

Bohrlehre 2,5mm  01 (fspg2)

Bohrlehre 2,5mm  02 (fspg2)

Bohrlehre 2,5mm  03 (fspg2)

It consists of three parts, which are inserted into each other and precisely aligned by the roof bow frame to define the position for the 2.5 mm drill bit.

Bohrlehre 2,5mm  05 (fspg2)

Bohrlehre 2,5mm  06 (fspg2)

Bohrlehre 2,5mm  07 (fspg2)

It worked :)

Bohrlehre 2,5mm  08 (fspg2)

Frithjof

fspg2

Today there was only one small part - a bearing block for the 2.5/2.0mm protective tube on the underside of the crane housing roof.

Lagerblock Schutzrohr 01 (fspg2)

The 2.0 mm silver steel drive rod is guided by ball bearings at both ends of the protective tube.

Lagerblock Schutzrohr 02 (fspg2)

Lagerblock Schutzrohr 03 (fspg2)

A 6.0 mm deep and 8.0 mm wide pocket was milled into an MDF board and an 8.0 mm MS58 tube section was inserted. I fixed the ends of the tube with superglue so that nothing moved when I cut through it with a 2.0mm solid carbide cutter.

If you look closely, you can see that there is a radius on the right-hand part. It corresponds to the lower curve of the crane roof.

Lagerblock Schutzrohr 04 (fspg2)

As the tube had an internal diameter of 4.0mm, the underside for the lower ball bearing was "drilled out" with a 6.0mm milling cutter. After cutting to the final dimension, a 4.0/2.5mm piece of tube was soldered onto the top. This gave me the vertical alignment of the protective tube. Drilling through a brass rod with 2.5mm and 6.0mm would certainly have been a bit quicker - but I only had a suitable tube ;)

Lagerblock Schutzrohr 05 (fspg2)

Frithjof

finescalerr

Beautiful ... as usual. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World