• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Feldbahnmodule with ship

Started by fspg2, April 21, 2011, 12:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fspg2

@Russ + @Sami, many thanks!

Actually, I wanted to be a bit further along with the assembly of the roof rack...

Dachträger Montage 21 (fspg2)

Dachträger Montage 22 (fspg2)

The inserted frame has a width of exactly 3.4 mm with the lateral U-profiles and the angled gusset plates. The four roof brackets are also only 3.4mm wide, so that the frame would have to be squeezed in without air when painted.
After the individual elements were soldered to the frame, I used a 3.0mm milling cutter to widen this gap within the four roof brackets by 0.2mm.

...shit happens... grrrrr: ( I managed to mill three of the four holders cleanly on the rip fence on the cross table... then it happened on the last pass - I slipped and the outer wall of the holder was damaged.

Dachträger Montage 23 (fspg2)

Should I leave it like this?

A night's sleep then brought a solution.
The damaged outer part was milled off - this time I secured the roof on the cross table to prevent it from slipping!

Dachträger Montage 24 (fspg2)

Dachträger Montage 25 (fspg2)

A new side plate was then quickly drawn and milled out.
It is still to be soldered and "secured" with the M1.0mm hexagon head screws.

Dachträger Montage 26 (fspg2)

Frithjof

Bill Gill

Even when stuff happens you find an elegant way to fix it.

Stuart

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

fspg2

Old photos show that sand was originally stored on the ground next to the Münzel crane.

Münzel Ausleger 03 (fspg2)

Muenzel_Kran_LEA_01 (fspg2)

Münzel-Kran_Lauenburg (Copyright W.Hinsch-LEA)

Later there was a double bunker under which the truck drivers could load the sand onto their trucks themselves by opening two levers.

Münzel-Kran (LEA) 02 (fspg2)

Münzel-Kran_Lauenburg (Copyright W.Hinsch-LEA)
Photo taken at the end of the 1950s

This is also to be created in the model. Unfortunately, the exact dimensions can only be guessed at from the few pictures I have. It will therefore be a double sand bunker similar to the prototype.

Doppel-Bunker 01 (fspg2)

Doppel-Bunker 02 (fspg2)

I was a little confused when I saw the following photo. I had actually expected to see two separate funnels in a double bunker. On the color picture, however, you can only see one continuous trough.

Doppel-Bunker 10 (fspg2)

Doppel-Bunker 03 (fspg2)

Doppel-Bunker 04 (fspg2)

However, in order to get all the sand out of the two lower slide openings, I milled 45° walls on the inside so that there are two funnels again. I assume that the prototype had a similar structure and that the outer walls were additionally welded with reinforcing plates.

Doppel-Bunker 05 (fspg2)

The two side and the middle folded 0.5mm MS58 sheet were completely milled out with a 92° V-milling cutter. This gave me the required 45° angle to the corresponding outer walls.

Doppel-Bunker 06 (fspg2)

In the following picture, the new parts are only loosely inserted as a test.

Doppel-Bunker 07 (fspg2)

There are two left-hand and two right-hand versions of the four side panels.

Doppel-Bunker 08 (fspg2)

The Pertinax gauge can be used as a soldering aid for both versions.

Doppel-Bunker 09 (fspg2)

Frithjof

finescalerr

Even with estimated dimensions, the proportions look perfect. It already looks good so I predict the completed model to be satisfactory. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

As Russ said, the proportions look right. The bunker will add so much more visual interest than the older "pile of sand" method.

Ray Dunakin's World

fspg2

The double bunker has three mirror-image L-profile connections with various gusset plates.

Here is the first of the three:

Doppel-Bunker 11 (fspg2)

To make assembly easier, I milled the first Pertinax gauge for the upper funnel support.
One left and one right variant can be inserted into this jig at the same time. I pre-tinned the 3.0 mm x 3.0 mm L-profiles and gusset plates at the joints.
The drill holes in the jig have a diameter of 0.9mm. This makes it easier to remove the parts with the 0.8mm rivet pins after soldering. Earlier attempts with the same diameter were very tight and could only be separated with a little force.

Doppel-Bunker 12 (fspg2)

Doppel-Bunker 13 (fspg2)

The four support elements have now been soldered and inserted into a base plate with eight 5.0mm x 5.0mm milled recesses as a test.

Doppel-Bunker 14 (fspg2)

All the wire ends still have to be shortened and rounded to form rivet heads.

It's always amazing how quickly a day of model building goes by.
Frithjof

finescalerr

Coming together nicely. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Ray Dunakin's World

Hauk

Die schöneste Doppel-Bunker in der Welt!
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Stuart

Very convincing. A nice addition.

fspg2

Gentlemen, thank you!

Just a little update for the weekend today.

All the panels were milled from the upper edge out of 0.5mm MS58. They had 1.05mm wide and 0.15mm deep grooves milled into them to position the 1.0mm thick reinforcement struts.

Doppel-Bunker 20 (fspg2)

I milled 24 reinforcing struts out of 1.0 mm MS58 sheet metal for the front and rear ...

Doppel-Bunker 17 (fspg2)

... and provided a groove at the lower edge for the 5.0 mm wide cover plate. This 0.5mm thick sheet was also given a 45° inner edge with the V-groove cutter.

Doppel-Bunker 21 (fspg2)

Later, the two upper edge plates are soldered to the lower end walls at the feet of the struts, which are angled at 45°.

Doppel-Bunker 18 (fspg2)

Three sets of 2 gauges were made from a leftover piece of Petinax to make it easier to fix the individual struts when soldering.

Doppel-Bunker 15 (fspg2)

Doppel-Bunker 16 (fspg2)

It took just under an hour to solder and then clean up and sandblast the first unit.

Doppel-Bunker 19 (fspg2)

Frithjof

finescalerr

Ray Dunakin

Ray Dunakin's World