• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Feldbahnmodule with ship

Started by fspg2, April 21, 2011, 12:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior

Superb work from all points of view :o!

Anders

fspg2

Russ, Hauk, Marc, Anders,

Thanks for the acceptance :) I am glad to get praise from you.

Next, the doors have been provided with a circumferential angle belt. Then all parts were blasted, conscious mottled black finish and brushed with a dirty gray heavily diluted broth as a base coat. Under exfoliated paint there should no bare metal shine through later!

Münzel-Kran_084 (fspg2)

Before I am going to recreate the interior, first the upper door rails are soldered.
A 0.5 mm aluminum sheet (which was 0.3 mm longer than the door) served as a soldering help to get the exactly parallel distance to the lower rail.

Münzel-Kran_083 (fspg2)

The inner riveted angle sections (counterparts to the externally visible rivets bands) will follow, because through the open doors and the front windows it will be quite able to see the interior - and even then it should look like "real". Since I unfortunately have no interior views of the original crane, I'm probably will copy a little bit from the demolished Hamburg harbor crane:

Hamburger_Hafenkran_050 (fspg2)

Hamburger_Hafenkran_052 (fspg2)

Hamburger_Hafenkran_053 (fspg2)

Hamburger_Hafenkran_051 (fspg2)

Hamburger_Hafenkran_054 (fspg2)

Today I drawn on the claw.

excavator-Museum-of-work-HH11-4 (fspg2)

Photos were used as a template from the Hamburg "Museum of Work". Two nice fellow had photographed such a grip there.

The gripper has a width of approximately 1300mm above all, the open blade measures approx 2500mm. So the results in 1:22.5 are 57.8 mm width and 111mm open.

In Photoshop the images were scaled accordingly and provided with guide lines.
In order to get the exact measurements the photos should be taken at right angle. Also, the taper to the rear perspective be considered in order to obtain the most accurate data.

Before I get the milling data it is already a long time, but is rewarded by the fact that the milled parts will fit without further treatment!

Münzel-Kran_087 (fspg2)

Münzel-Kran_085 (fspg2)

Münzel-Kran_086 (fspg2)

Münzel-Kran_088 (fspg2)

Frithjof

finescalerr

It is a pleasure to watch this project develop. -- Russ

artizen

Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

marc_reusser

WOW! I really look forward to seeing all this interior detail anf the clam-shell come to life!

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

fspg2

A small but important detail: the small sprockets are machined from 2mm brass sheet. They serve to open the clamshells even.

Münzel-Kran_089 (fspg2)

Münzel-Kran_090/B] (fspg2)

Münzel-Kran_091 (fspg2)

Münzel-Kran_092 (fspg2)

Münzel-Kran_093 (fspg2)
Frithjof

lab-dad

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Where can I order my kit!!!!!!!
Just awesome!!!!
-Marty

fspg2

Marty,

Only one kit? ;)

Other clamps parts have been cut out and the first blade half was soldered together.

Münzel-Kran_094 (fspg2)

For easy mounting I have milled grooves in the individual parts.

However, I have discovered an error. :'( :'(

In an old drawing I found the width of the blade of 1300mm.

Yesterday I got more dimensioned photos from Gerald (many  thanks to you!). There  you can see the width of 1100mm.

Münzel-Kran_095 (fspg2)

Otherwise the length of the gripper is also incorrect!

Münzel-Kran_096 (fspg2)

So I'll scale everything once again. And the milling machine has to do a new job! 

Frithjof

billmart

Fabulous work!  So neat and clean.

Bill Martinsen

Ray Dunakin

Stunning! As Bill said, very neat, clean work!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

lab-dad

Yea, only one kit  ;)
I will take the "mistakes" though!

Just beautiful machining!
Why does the material look almost "cast" what is it? Or are you doing something to it?

-Marty

fspg2

Bill, Ray and Marty,

It is certainly a neat way of working. However, it costs a little bit more of time!
But it satisfies me much more if I build properly! The way is the destination :)

@Marty
The parts are milled mostly from brass or nickel silver. All parts are sandblasted. So the surface gets this look. It just looks cleaner.
Frithjof

lab-dad

Quote@Marty
The parts are milled mostly from brass or nickel silver. All parts are sandblasted. So the surface gets this look. It just looks cleaner.

Yes it does!!!!!!
What media are you using and how are you spraying it?

-Marty

fspg2

@Marty
I´m using a sandblasting booth an very fine sand blasting medium

Right now it goes on in small steps.

The blade dimensions have been adjusted and everything is milled again.

Münzel-Kran_097 (fspg2)

Münzel-Kran_098 (fspg2)

The next parts are the U-profiles, the cover for the pulleys and the two blocks for the joints.

Münzel-Kran_100 (fspg2)

Since I had no suitable 8mm x 3mm U-profile, it was milled from a 3mm brass plate.

The cover to  protect the two pulleys is made of two parts: a shell of 8mm MS 58-flat section

Münzel-Kran_099 (fspg2)

Münzel-Kran_102 (fspg2)

and a cover plate made of 0.5 mm MS58-sheet, which is provided peripherally with a groove. Thus, the lid fits the pot.

Münzel-Kran_103 (fspg2)

For comparison, the picture below shows the sizes of the old and the new shell.

Münzel-Kran_101 (fspg2)

Now I am looking for pulleys, which are similar to the drawing: 15mm - 16mm outside diameter with recesses.

Münzel-Kran_104 (fspg2)

Either I have to go the way of Helmut or I will mill the recesses in a purchased pulley.
Perhaps there are those ready to buy.
Frithjof

Hauk

Quote from: fspg2 on May 18, 2012, 12:01:58 AM

I´m suffering from a serious case of CNC-mill envy.
But the cure is too expencive!

Regards,
Hauk
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past