• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Feldbahnmodule with ship

Started by fspg2, April 21, 2011, 12:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gill

Your level of design and execution is so far beyond anything I could conceive of that I can only look on in awe. All your fabrication is precise and meticulous and 'gorgeous', if such a term is appropriate for a bridge.

fspg2

@ Russ, Ray, Allan, Bill  Thanks for your recognition

@Volker

QuoteWhich speed did you chose with the cutter? I know they work well with hand tools but what not aware They fit for machining, too.

Yesterday I got new ,,Finier"cutter (TwinCut). Now the results are much more better.

The ,,Finier"cutter is described here .

recommended speed: 2500-7000 rpm
speed range: max. 20,000 rpm

I used the drill stand and the Pertinax gauge only for vertical alignment. For accurately positioning I´m using a headband magnifier!

Halter_Finierfraeser_05 (fspg2)

The engine is not running - the chuck I rotate with my left hand - felt 10 RPM. With my right hand I can regulate the height varies slightly.

Halter_Finierfraeser_06 (fspg2)

Halter_Finierfraeser_07 (fspg2)

Halter_Finierfraeser_08 (fspg2)
Frithjof

fspg2

The 3x6mm U crossbeams had got 1mm holes already. My first attempt hard-soldering the rivets was not satisfactory. Although I used 0.5mm silver hard-solder wire sparingly, it was still too much.

Beng_Loetpaste_01 (fspg2)

left with 0.5mm silver solder wire  -  right with brazing paste

A friendly model builders gave me a great tip: brazing paste
So I put 1.5mm long rivets into the holes (a real game of nerves ... using 5 rivets .... 2 rivets landed somewhere around the room) ... and coated all with the brazing paste from the back. Then the flame fixed it in no time. The protruding shanks I separated at my small Böhler saw and I smoothed all surfaces on a sandpaper board..

Beng_Loetpaste_02 (fspg2)

above with 0.5mm silver solder wire  -  below with brazing paste

The first long beams were combined with the casted gusset plates and the small vertical angels of brass.

Knoten_A-Gussbaum-neu_010 (fspg2)

The diagonal braces were center marked in a small Pertinax gauge (similar here). So I can press the rivets positioned accurately.
Previously 3x3mm brass profiles were annealed with the flame. Thereby they were soft, otherwise the rivet heads could have been forced out.
At the first bridge I soldered four diagonal struts .... indeed, I need a third hand.
The solder tweezer came not as good to the right position. So I'm going to build new angled soldering tips.

Knoten_A-Gussbaum-neu_011 (fspg2)

Knoten_A-Gussbaum-neu_012 (fspg2)

Knoten_A-Gussbaum-neu_013 (fspg2)

Knoten_A-Gussbaum-neu_014_ (fspg2)

Ansicht von unten

Coming a little bit faster to the target assembling the next 20 diagonal braces, I milled two small auxiliary gauges (again from pertinax).
The profiles got 1mm holes in the center.  It was soldered with an 1.3mm rivet (shaft 1mm) and an 0.4 mm shim . Now the profiles joint in an exact angle of 57.49 degrees.

Knoten_A-Gussbaum-neu_015 (fspg2)

Knoten_A-Gussbaum-neu_016 (fspg2)

diagonal braces view from bottom side

Frithjof

Hauk

Inspirational and educational as usual!
Incredible work.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

lab-dad

A hundred years from now modelers will be referencing your work and trying to achieve the same results but falling way short.
Always a pleasure to witness such precision.
The brazing paste is a good tip too!

-Marty

finescalerr

I agree with Marty. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Marvelous precision and a joy to follow along!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

fspg2

@ Hauk, Marty, Russ, Ray
I am pleased that you like it :)

Up to now I was concerned with the 4 subbridges, but now the beams of the main bridge shall be prepared.

Traeger_Montage_20 (fspg2)

Since the original drawings were photographed very wavy, you can see mistakes especially at the top end.

Hubbruecke_Portal_1 (fspg2)

Copyright: WSA-Lauenburg/Elbe

Traeger_Montage_Grundskizze_frontal_1 (fspg2)

Copyright: WSA-Lauenburg/Elbe

With Photoshop I could compensate some inaccuracies in the vertical and horizontal scaling individually. The original dimensions of the drawing have been converted to 1:22.5, then compared with the dimensions of the copy and adjusted if necessary .
In this way prepared I composed the drawings in 3 levels.

Traeger_Montage_Grundskizze_3D_01 (fspg2)

Traeger_Montage_Grundskizze_3D_06 (fspg2)

Traeger_Montage_Grundskizze_3D_05 (fspg2)

The blue intermediate layer characterize the position of each angle section.

Traeger_Montage_05 (fspg2)

The blue lines mark the location of the corner profiles.

Traeger_Montage_06 (fspg2)

In the following animation the procedure can be seen:

Traeger_Montage_00 (fspg2)

Traeger_Montage_15 (fspg2)

Traeger_Montage_17 (fspg2)

The holes in the sheets and profile angles will pick up rivets later. I think it will give more stability - even if I have a lot more effort.

At the drawings I have read the dimensions of the ground and the upper edges of the two outer corner profile bends, also the height between the levels. Then I converted it to 1:22,5.

Traeger_Montage_21 (fspg2)

By the help of a 3D sketch I connected the respective vertices. The four corner angle (red) I extruded in the height.

Traeger_Montage_22 (fspg2)

Frithjof

finescalerr

Impressive. It would take me six months to figure out how to interpret those drawings and I'd probably still do it wrong! -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

I agree, very impressive, and quite interesting! Also, I really enjoy your animated drawings! Very helpful for seeing how you plan to assemble things.

Ray Dunakin's World

Hauk

This project will go down in history as one of the most fantastic modeling projects ever!
You just have to love it.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

fspg2

@Russ
Six month are very quick - indeed I needed more than one year  ;)  Thereby I discussed with Volker and other guys of Buntbahn forum.

@Ray
Such animations you can get with Photoshop timeline for example.

@Hauk
Thanks for the kind words  :)  In Germany we are saying: "We all are cooking with water only".  ;)

Although it is not really clear until now, how the angles of the corner profiles were made out with the prototype of 1900, I will use a milled and folded 0.4mm brass frame for the base. This ensures that all four sockets quickly obtain the same dimensions.

Bodenrahmen_01 (fspg2)

Brass MS58 can be milled better, but I have used MS63. Most dealers sells MS58plates from 0.5mm thickness only. MS63 is more soft and can be bent better. I milled with addition of cutting oil.

Bodenrahmen_02 (fspg2)

I annealed the sheets before bending. This ensures that the edges didn´t break (depending on the rolling direction).

Bodenrahmen_03 (fspg2)

In several steps the angle were bent. Thereby oblique grooves -  sawn in a beech wood slat - helps to bent the profiles.
From stage to stage the angle was inclined more and more until the result was reached. A brass block and a plastic mallet helped during bending.

Bodenrahmen_04 (fspg2)

Triangles made from 1.5mm brass MS58 serves as base feet.

Bodenrahmen_05 (fspg2)

Bodenrahmen_06 (fspg2)

This 16 feet and the four frames are only a small step until the completion of the bridge – As you know, the way is the goal . Certainly it will take a few years until I'm done .

Currently I´m drawing the top girders of the bridge.

Oberhaupt_01 (fspg2)

Oberhaupt_02 (fspg2)

Oberhaupt_03 (fspg2)

Traeger_Montage_32 (fspg2)

Frithjof

finescalerr

I have the feeling Frithjof knows what he is doing .... -- Russ

Bill Gill

Ray Dunakin

Ray Dunakin's World