• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Feldbahnmodule with ship

Started by fspg2, April 21, 2011, 12:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernhard

You are a real perfectionist! Anyone else would have just left the first version, because no one looks that closely anyway.

Bernhard

Bill Gill

You're right, as small as the changes are, new version looks even better than the first. 

finescalerr

Silly me. I thought the first one was perfect .... -- Russ

fspg2

@Bernhard
Sometimes things go a little more perfect. It is not important to me to finish as quickly as possible ... I would also be annoyed if I had finished something half-heartedly.

@Bill
Sometimes it's the little things that make a big difference.

@Russ
To err is human ;-)

Some parts have already been put together for testing ...

Drehschiebebuehne_163 (fspg2)

I still don't like the wheels - they are being redrawn and printed. The tread is simply too narrow!

Then a few fiddly jobs followed,

Drehschiebebuehne_164 (fspg2)

Drehschiebebuehne_165 (fspg2)

... I shortened the M0.6mm screws before assembly. Once again, a 0.5mm thick sheet metal helped, in which 0.5mm holes were drilled and then the 0.6mm thread was cut.
After the required hexagon screws with a 0.3mm thick washer each had been mounted, the threads on the back of the sheet were cut off and sanded flush on a sandpaper tray.
Now all threads have a length of 0.8 mm and could be screwed into the axle bearings and soldered without the axles being obstructed.

Drehschiebebuehne_166 (fspg2)

When it comes to the braking system, I want to see whether I can make it work.

When comparing some of the prototype photos it was noticed - again only at the "second look" - that I had milled the base plate on the brakeman's side a little too short to fit all the small parts with reasonable distances.

Drehschiebebuehne_167 (fspg2)

The wheels are markedly oversized in the picture above. They are later turned to final dimensions with a steel section.

So the base plate gets an artificial extension of 1.0mm. For better durability, I milled the part on the underside with two protruding surfaces from a 2.0mm MS58 from two sides.

Drehschiebebuehne_168 (fspg2)

The guide block for the brake lever will follow!

Drehschiebebuehne_169 (fspg2)
:!:
Frithjof

Hauk

Those bolts are pieces of jewelery!
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

finescalerr

Ray Dunakin

I love watching your progress on this project. The precision and attention to detail is fascinating.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Barney

Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

fspg2

The main thing that bothers me about the wheels is the width of the wheels. Especially since the brake pads on the original have significantly more contact surface.

Drehschiebebuehne_175 (fspg2)

Drehschiebebuehne_176 (fspg2)

The retaining tabs of the brake yoke were milled from 0.4mm nickel silver.
The respective kinks were milled in on both sides with a 92˚ box graver 0.2 mm deep. click
The four 2.0mm rivets ensured the exact positioning of the two sides.

Drehschiebebuehne_170 (fspg2)

The retaining tabs were pressed into shape with the help of a small brass gauge.

Drehschiebebuehne_171 (fspg2)

Drehschiebebuehne_172 (fspg2)

Drehschiebebuehne_173 (fspg2)

Drehschiebebuehne_174 (fspg2)

Frithjof

finescalerr

fspg2

The parts are slowly coming together.

The axle bearing of the brake lever was put together from 3 small milled parts and the side limit stop was soldered on from a 2.0mm half-round rod.

Drehschiebebuehne_183 (fspg2)

Drehschiebebuehne_177 (fspg2)

The brake lever crossbar still required two lateral 0.5mm and 0.8mm holes. For this purpose, the rod was inserted vertically into a corresponding cutout and fixed with adhesive tape.

Drehschiebebuehne_178 (fspg2)

The small brake lever consists of a milled base body into which the 1.5mm axle and a rivet with a head diameter of 3.4mm were soldered.

Drehschiebebuehne_184 (fspg2)

Then all finished parts were sandblasted, cleaned under soapy water with a toothbrush and dried on the heater. Then the browning took place.

The proportions seem to fit.

Drehschiebebuehne_179 (fspg2)

In order to facilitate the precise alignment of the tracks for driving over from the turntable to the siding, I milled a 0.5mm recess on the underside of the transfer platform (Fig. 177).
A 6.0mm neodymium magnet is glued in here.

Drehschiebebuehne_180 (fspg2)

Magnets have also been glued into a central groove under the rail bed.

Drehschiebebuehne_181 (fspg2)

For the exact positioning of these four lower magnets, the transfer platform was fixed with a track gauge and the corresponding magnet was inserted into the longitudinal groove. The exact positioning was made by the magnet already glued into the stage. Glue did the rest.
If I now move the transfer table with slight pressure from the side, the next track can be reached precisely.

Drehschiebebuehne_182 (fspg2)
Frithjof

Bill Gill

Using magnets for the precise alignment is an excellent solution.

finescalerr

WP Rayner

This is absolutely outstanding work Frithjof... it's like watching George Daniels build a watch.
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: Bill Gill on November 15, 2021, 05:39:48 AM
Using magnets for the precise alignment is an excellent solution.

I agree -- it's very clever!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World