• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Free 250ml sample InstaBlak SS370

Started by eTraxx, April 27, 2011, 06:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eTraxx

This is a room temperature product to blacken stainless steel. Goto ..

https://ecommerce.epi.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=IB-SS3701

The drop down shows 1 gal for $133.70 .. click the drop down and select the 250ml sample.

Note under description: Receive a free 250 ml sample for the month of April! ..

that includes shipping .. IMO .. you can't beat free.
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

W.P. Rayner

Good tip Ed... thanks. Ordered my sample this evening. Also, thanks for the intro to the supplier. I'm looking for some oxidizing chemicals for an upcoming bike project.

Paul

SandiaPaul

Thanks for posting this...but I looked and looked, where do you order the sample with free shipping? The drop down has 2 "samples" and both have $37.50 charge on it.

Thanks,

Paul
Paul

eTraxx

Right here ..

Ed Traxler

chester

Thanks Ed, and free is free but when this offer and your supply of free runs out, give this a try. I have been using muriatic acid used for cleaning masonry available by the gallon at a reasonable price at home improvement stores and a 40% solution of hydrogen peroxide for etching. I stored it in a clear bottle and noticed that it was seriously degraded after a few weeks. Apparently the hydrogen peroxide is unstable and light affects it (turns to water). But what I did notice is that it turned things a delightful dark brown. Brass, copper and pot metals got a wonderful patina. So if you're looking for a cheap blackening/darkening solution it might be worth a try. Oh, the muriatic is nasty stuff so be careful out there.

SandiaPaul

Thanks...I hadn't had my espresso yet...(really!)

Paul
Paul

eTraxx

The 'sample' arrived while ago. Ordered on the 24th, shipped on the 25th and arrived today on the 29th. Sweet. Assuming I don't manage to spill it this 'sample' should last my lifetime ..

Ed Traxler

W.P. Rayner

I too am quite impressed with their service Ed. I ordered last night and received a shipping confirmation today along with the MSDS data sheets on the product.

Paul

eTraxx

I have a feeling they are trying for market share. Notice that I keep seeing their ads all over the place on the net.
Ed Traxler

Ray Dunakin

Chester, where do you get 40% hydrogen peroxide?
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

eTraxx

Did a quick attempt to see if it worked on other then stainless. Yeah, it works.  I just did a quick dip. The top razor blade was wiped off with a kitchen cleaner .. the bottom dipped in acetone. Note that the instructions have you first clean the stainless with their proprietary cleaner and then a dip in a 50% solution of muriatic acid so my attempts at 'cleaning' were half-a$$ at best

Ed Traxler

lab-dad

Got mine!
Works great on music wire and brass too!
The following took a dip in the solution for 20 seconds each.
.046" music wire & .125" sq. brass
I did nothing to either piece, took them from the metal bin and stuck 'em in.

Too bad the sample is no longer free! They caught on, $10.00 now. :(
-Marty

eTraxx

Marty. Figured .. they said just for April ..

BUT ..

Insta-Blak A384 Swab on Black Aluminum
https://ecommerce.epi.com/Insta_Blak_A384_Swab_on_Black_Aluminum_p/ib-a3841.htm

FREE 250ml sample for the month of May!! :D
Ed Traxler

Ray Dunakin

I couldn't get through in time to get the free deal the first time around, but I got it this time and also spent the ten bucks to get the SS blackener.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

jim s-w

Hi chaps

Is this stuff the same as/similar to gun blue?

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright