• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 scale Sandwich Shop ... already in progress

Started by Malachi Constant, April 29, 2011, 11:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

I think that means he would have preferred you build it from Legos. -- ssuR

Malachi Constant

Thanks, Nick ... good idea.  Larger radius and/or 3/4 bricks would make an improvement there.  Think I might also tighten up (thin/reduce) the mortar lines on the herringbone bricks.  Largest lines there are the same as the mortar joints in the Diorama Debris wall section.  Looks good on a wall, but a little large on a stoop ... but that effect might go away with some dirt & weathering.  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Chuck Doan

Glad to see some progress-an interesting design.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Junior

Great work on that entrance - kind of Art Deco style and great for a Sandwich Shop. I wouldn´t worry about the spacing of the bricks and as you said just some weathering would take care of it. Windows look great too!

Anders

Malachi Constant

A little planning and a start on the next bit ...

Malachi Constant

Junior

Looks great Dallas! Is that where the main window will be located (last pics.)? Can also see you upgraded the DioPark chair a bit.....neat idea!

Anders

Malachi Constant

Hi Anders --

Yes, there will be a bay window over the brick portion shown in last photo with a table and chairs inside ... the DioPark chairs are nice, but I added a couple strips of styrene to the back of each so my little guys wouldn't fall thru the back!  :)

Cheers,
Dallas

Malachi Constant

PS -- Prototype inspiration for the storefront section ... decided that I prefer the brick colors reversed as shown at right ... also, I'll be framing the windows with woodwork and back-dating the roof, signage, etc.

On this prototype, the colored bricks are actually glazed like tiles ... decided that painted brick would better suit the humble nature of this little shop.  Cast the bricks for this section in Durham's water putty, as that takes paint well ... and you can use the crackle paint and familiar chipping methods on it ... more to follow (as things progress).

Cheers,
Dallas

Malachi Constant

A little more progress on the brick bay ... mitered corners ... prep for peeling paint.  -- Dallas

Junior

Great to see those prototype pictures and your brick work looks very accurate! It´s fun to work with those little bricks however I had an easier ride with mine as the brick walls on the Bike Shop were in bad condition and also over painted.

Now we are all waiting for those FREAK sandwiches to be displayed in that big window  ;D ;D! You already have the Tamiya tomato that Chuck referred to as a stale muffin  ;D ;D!

Anders

marklayton

Dallas -

I've eaten there - decent cheese steak.  My old shop was off Union Avenue, down the hill from Falls Road.

Mark
He who dies with the most tools wins.

Malachi Constant

Mark --

Don't know if that one's still there ... Bella Roma at Falls Rd and 36th makes a better cheesesteak and a real good pizza ... but their building is boring!  8)

This one had a sign out today offering soft shell crab sammiches -- mmm!  Had already eaten ... might have to drive by tomorrow and see if they still have them.

For those who don't know, it's kind of a local thing (Baltimore, New Orleans, couple other places) ... as blue crabs grow, they shed their shells and grow new ones.  Right after they shed the old shell, the new shell is just a thin, slightly leathery coat that fries up real nice!  Not for the squeamish I suppose, but dang good.  ;D

Cheers,
Dallas

Ray Dunakin

Beautiful! I like the new direction you're taking with this structure.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Malachi Constant

Chipped bricks on toast!

-- Experimented with using the Ranger / Tim Holtz Distress Crackle paint on plaster bricks and that didn't work so well ... the plaster sucks up the paint too quickly ...
-- So, I made the bricks for the front bay with Durham's Water Putty ... which does NOT take stains very well.  That's a drag for making exposed brick, but works well for doing painted brick ...

-- Mixed several shades of the Ranger Crackle to make the base coat:  Fired Brick + Broken China (scary bright light blue, which shifted the color over toward purple a little) + Black Soot (which brought it back around to a maroon color.
-- That coat was put on heavy enough to crackle and peel a bit, which put on some base texture and exposed some of the color cast into the Durham's bricks ...