• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 scale Sandwich Shop ... already in progress

Started by Malachi Constant, April 29, 2011, 11:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malachi Constant

Thanks guys!  A little bigger bit of silliness this time ...

-- I'll be using a bunch of stuff from the Verlinden #888 Kitchen set ... but that wash basin seems a little too "rustic" for this project!

-- The other cabinet should provide a suitable sink base ... cut the top off of that and a bit extra to allow a recess for the sink in the counter top ...
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Malachi Constant

-- Increased the width (or depth?) to match the other cabinet ... added a couple little drawers and that stupid little dummy plate you find under most sinks ...

-- No granite here!  Only the finest Grade A Styrene will do here.  8)

-- Laminated those pieces ... added a backsplash and some other styrene bits ... then flooded the top very liberally with styrene cement, which (a) melts all the styrene joints together and (b) forms a fillet that should hopefully (c) make it look like a one-piece enamel-coated cast-iron top.  (If you do the flooding-with-cement thing, wait a good long while before touching or handling ... then wait a little longer ... to avoid finger prints and other nasty distortions.)  ;)

Malachi Constant

-- Picked up the Verlinden #946 Bathroom set ages and ages and ages ago to provide a sink and toilet for the garage ... eventually!  ::)  Meanwhile, robbed the spare bathtub faucets for this project ...

-- Some little detail parts from the bathroom set ... the doodad in the middle is an old-timey shaving brush.  Combined that and the bottle on the left to make a soap dispenser ...

Malachi Constant

Added some putty to round out those pesky corners in the sink ... wouldn't hurt to round out the bottom edges a bit more, but I have a sneaking suspicion the sink will become filled with dirty dishes and that won't matter!

And, of course, the reason for this particular nonsense:  on a project like this, seems like it would be just plain silly to do everything but the kitchen sink!  ;D   (Where's the groaning smiley?) 8)

Cheers,
Dallas

chester

Gordon Ferguson

That is all really neat Dallas, must have a go at this 1/35 stuff again

Inspirational  :) :)
Gordon

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Frederic Testard

The 'sink cabinet' is really outstanding, Dallas. I'm just wondering what details you're still gonna add there...
Frederic Testard

Malachi Constant

Thanks guys!  Sink has received a base coat of paint and will get some more coloring, etc.  Meanwhile ...

Today's Episode:  A stupidly simple way to amuse one's self for a little while!  ;D

I got some of this Makin's Clay to try out.  It's supposed to be an air-dry (no-bake) alternative to polymer clays:

Got it here ("while supplies last"):
http://www.dickblick.com/products/makins-clay/#description

Here's the company's web site and it appears that Hobby Lobby carries the stuff:
http://www.clayfactory.net/makins/makinsclay.htm

Malachi Constant

Decided to start with something simple using the lightest tan in the "earth tones" set.  Found that the tiny amount that I wanted to use was drying out too quickly.  Instructions say you can mix acrylic paints into the clay for coloring, so tried adding a drop of the American drying-time extender (acrylic medium) and that seemed to work.  Kept bigger portion and smaller working portion in little zip bags to seal.

Rolled a bit into a little snake, nipped off bits with a knife and mushed/rolled with the sculpting tool shown.

Malachi Constant

Searched for some images of vintage potato chip tins and will make one of those when I get a chance ... meanwhile, somebody's happy for a change!  Kettle cooked, too.  ;D

Cheers,
Dallas

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Wesleybeks

Trying to suggest something smaller for you to make, but not much is coming to mind.

Maybe a mouse. lol.
Kind Regards
Wesley

Modelling in sunny South Africa

finescalerr

Just wondering if you tasted them. They certainly look real .... -- Russ

Gordon Ferguson

Dallas, you are completely nuts  ::)

Actually that is it ....... If you have crisps(sorry, chips) you must have some salted peanuts
Gordon