• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 scale Sandwich Shop ... already in progress

Started by Malachi Constant, April 29, 2011, 11:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior

Dave did it again! Excellent team work from the two of you. Those little flowers you are planning to use are real neat I used them for the Krakow diorama.

Anders  ;D

Malachi Constant

Definitely!  Really appreciate Dave's help here and with various other aspects of the project ... I just hope I remember stuff from seeing all the neighborhood ladies do flower arrangements when I was a kid!  ;D

Layering the dentil trim ...

These pieces will be painted with the mustard trim color ...

The center or background piece will all be painted green, including the inset/raised panels ... with a little highlighting and shadow there just to bring out the relief ...

Playing "fiddle sticks" with all the loose bits.  Top lip, corbels and dentil trim will all get the mustard color ... the background "panel" will be green. 

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Junior

Shaping up to one heck of a cafe ::)! What a difference from the "first" cafe. Only shows it´s worth going back to improve and fix up details here and there.

Anders  ;D

Malachi Constant

Slowly plodding along painting & chipping individual corbels, adding dentils, etc ... got to this point ... and, obviously, need to do some additional shading, blending and/or coloring work to make the mustard trim pieces look right ... but it was getting really hard to judge all that "in context" with so much of the context missing.  :P  (At this point though, all those tiny little nails do seem to be showing up as a more subtle detail now.)

Thoughts & opinions WELCOME here!  So, I did some computer fakery to rough out some context and make a sort of "working plan" to help judge the bits and pieces as this proceeds.  There are still bits of dentil work and other trim missing at the corners, etc.  Still additional coloring and shading, etc. to do ... but any/all thoughts ... including random thoughts and fleeting impressions ... are welcome here.  Still have to do the corbels and dentils for the front, so there's plenty of time to work things out along the way ...

VectorDave was kind enough to "upsize" some of the flower box fronts used on his HO scale Stanton Street diorama ... smaller one for the kitchen window ... and larger one for the other window.  Thanks Dave!

And here's what the original (tiny!) version looks like on Dave's Stanton Street diorama, well worth a visit:
http://www.vectorcut.com/Diorama

Cheers,
Dallas

finescalerr

You do plan to build up the doors and windows, right? -- Russ

Malachi Constant

Doors & windows?  Yes!  Those big ugly plastic things will go bye-bye.  I'll scratchbuild some nice working windows with thin mullions (muntins, muttons or sumptin's) and glazing ... and I think I've worked out a way to make a raised panel door with the proper "sculpted" inset panels and the correct assembly that will appear to have the right woodworking joints ... gotta finish up the rest of the corbels, dentils and get this trim painted first.

Definitely need the computerized fakery to "see" where it's going so I can color things properly ... mostly wanted to see how it would look with the mustard trim around the windows & door and white sashes and actual door.  Gets a bit tedious at times handling all these dang parts individually, but seems to pay off ... need to have a bit of a "preview" to see what needs done and how to prep the windows and all that junk ...

Cheers,
Dallas

Chuck Doan

That is a good way to figure out what you want to do.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Ken Hamilton

Quote from: Chuck Doan on February 03, 2012, 02:54:37 PM
That coving came out great!
I'll second that.  Great technique.  Thanks for sharing.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

Junior

Brilliant but where is Curt Mudgeon these days ??? ??? ???

Anders

Malachi Constant

I ran a promo on my website that went rather well, so Mr. Mudgeon will be busy helping me crank out On30 kits for a few weeks ... then, with a little luck, he'll get a visit from a cousin from a distant land ... or something weird and fun will happen!  ;)  -- Dallas

I did cast the rest of the corbels needed and made a few other bits, but haven't gotten any farther than that yet ...

Malachi Constant

Holy Crap! Brace yourself ... yup, I've made a little bit of actual progress. Heck, I'd better brace myself ... before I fall over in disbelief! 

Got started on the windows for the sammich shop ... basically a combo of techniques described by Ken Hamilton and Frederic Testard:

http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/model_how-to/how_to_build_window/

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35452&whichpage=29

Malachi Constant

Used Frederic's approach of sandwiching the bits that make up the interior channels ... but used styrene, thinking that would allow a thinner profile of the divider between channels or at least less worries about wood fuzz on tiny bits ...

Malachi Constant

Little window just about ready to install ... framing for bigger windows underway ...

Malachi Constant

Holy Crap! A little bit of actual progress. (Yeah, I said that before, but I still can't believe it!) 

That clunky door will get replaced ... built a frame for that ... more, whenever ... meanwhile, stuff is laid out to build three more windows as time allows.  ;)

Cheers,
Dallas

Gordon Ferguson

Like it Dallas, nice tidy work ........ Good to see you making progress on this, must do the same myself!

As an aside, and I know there was thread/book on this subject when I look at this thread on my home PC I just get links to the pics but if I look at it on the IPad the photos show direct ???
Gordon