• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 scale Sandwich Shop ... already in progress

Started by Malachi Constant, April 29, 2011, 11:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Huh?...what project is this?

Glad to see you making some progress again!...very spiffy!

Gordon ol' chap......what you are experiencing is "the curious case of the suddenly no longer visible attachments".  Mine happened on the PC back when the original thread discussion occured, and never rectified itself....though I lack the spiffy iPad....with me they work on my Android phone.

The one ddety with it is that on my laptop....also a PC....every now and then the pics show...sometimes if there aare multiple attaached images some will show as links while the others show as pics.....no rhyme or reason. Think of it s just another quirk of an already nutty forum.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

Dallas, I'm glad you found some time to work on something for yourself again. The window and door add immeasurably to the model. -- Russ

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

TRAINS1941

Good to see you working on the project again.  Nice window and dorr.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Malachi Constant

Well, life has been crazy and modeling time was really hard to come by for a long while there ... so a big THANK YOU for your support and encouragement as I get back into this!  ;D

But ... I think y'all really let me slide on that door ... at least I hope so ... cuz I'll just look like a big dumb jackalope for what follows otherwise.  (Wouldn't be the first or last time for that, though.)

Okay ... crappy old door is shown at left below ... built a new door frame using the same techniques as the windows ... layered styrene bits on the inside to make it nice and square followed by stripwood trim, etc.  BTW, looks like it has a black backing here, but that's just the black styrene interior of the building showing ...
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Malachi Constant

The door is also a sandwich of styrene and stripwood bits ... cut the middle of the sandwich from black styrene (then added some white strips around the edge because it wasn't big enough)  ::) ... added a backing to that (not shown), so the middle wood bits would have a nest ... then painted, weathered & layered the stripwood pieces ...

Malachi Constant

Wanted one of those old-fangled door knobs with a flattened-oval profile ... so I rolled a whole bunch of balls out of Sculptamold ... then mashed those with a finger tip ... let those harden a touch, then soaped the finger tips to rub out any fingerprints on those.  Made a whole bunch more than shown here hoping there would be one or two in the bunch that had the desired shape.  ;)

Made the strikeplate (or whatever you call it) from .005" styrene ... sure is tricky cutting a tiny key notch under a #78 hole!  :-X  Screw heads embossed with a dulled-down thumbtack.  Cut slots in those later (actually just scored the paint on them.)  ;)

Malachi Constant

Don't worry, I'm almost done torturing you for today!  ;D

Here's the crappy NEW door to replace the crappy old door!  Molding was done by adding .015" styrene rod around the inset panels.  Originally planned to put some putty in the grooves to make it quarter-round ... but, as you (hopefully) see in the photo after this one, those little grooves (seem to me) to produce little shadow lines that I would have painted in ... so I think I'll let it go at this ...

Almost forgot to add the inset that proves that I tried to slot the stupid little screw heads!   8)  Yeah, guys, I know they would/should be flathead screws in beveled insets ... YOU try that!  ;D

Malachi Constant

Last one for today!  ;D  :-\  :P

Here's the crappy new door in place ... also went over all the green siding with a variety of water color pencils to add a little more tonal variety and shading there.  Will continue to tweak coloring as all the components come together.

Thanks again for the support & encouragement (but don't hold back on anything that needs attention!)

Cheers,
Dallas

Chuck Doan

That looks great-specially that finish! Of course, larger pics could be nice... :)
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

Malachi Constant

Quote from: Chuck Doan on July 17, 2012, 02:55:20 PM
That looks great-specially that finish! Of course, larger pics could be nice... :)

Oops ... I was trying not to be too obnoxious there!   (Well, then there's also the thing about all the bumps and warts that show up in the larger photos.)  ;D ::)  :P

Here are larger versions of the last two photos ... if anyone needs more info on the build (kinda doubt that here, but ...) let me know which pix are needed. 

While I'm at it ... and looking at the larger pix here ... you'll see there are some hints of pinks, blues and purples in the white ... and I'm curious about any/all thoughts you have there.  Here's the thing ... when I look at Marcel Ackle's work, it seems like I see a whole rainbow of colors in seemingly unlikely places that really make it "work."  Now, I certainly don't have to tell anyone that I am not Marcel, but I've been trying to put a slight bit of that into what I'm doing in hopes of maybe getting some similar effects (eventually, with practice, yaddy-yaddy!)

Cheers,
Dallas

Chuck Doan

finescalerr

billmart

I agree with Chuck; the crackle finish on the door is great.

Bill Martinsen

Ray Dunakin

Great work on that door, the finish looks awesome.

Someday I want to figure out how to get a good crackle finish that won't fall apart outdoors.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World