• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 scale Sandwich Shop ... already in progress

Started by Malachi Constant, April 29, 2011, 11:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

QuoteSomeday I want to figure out how to get a good crackle finish that won't fall apart outdoors.

Why not just paint it with cheap paint and wait???? ???

Seriously, Lovely finish! Can I assume you used the art store "crackle" paint or?..........

-marty

Junior

Good to see you back at the work bench. Now just make sure Mr. Mudgeon will sober up so we can see some action here ;D ;D.

That´s a great looking door and very nice work with the knob and the plate.....excellent!

Why do you want to copy Marcel Ackle? He has a very distinct colorful style that is immediateley recognized as his. It fits in to his potato cellars etc. but probably not to your café so just keep up the good work and you will have a very personal café........just my honest opinion.

Anders

Malachi Constant

Quote from: lab-dad on July 18, 2012, 06:10:42 AM
Seriously, Lovely finish! Can I assume you used the art store "crackle" paint or?..........
-marty

Yes ... the Ranger / Tim Holtz "Distress Crackle" that we've discussed here a number of times ...

Only thing I did slightly different was to do two layers of crackle ...
-- First layer:  browns & grays ... smears of brown crackle paint ... and smears of black & white mixed together ... then knife and flake that a bit ... idea there is just to have a little more "old color" show thru where the top coat cracks.
-- Second layer:  white ... with some diluted acrylic inks for coloring ...

Quote from: Junior on July 18, 2012, 08:07:48 AM
Why do you want to copy Marcel Ackle? He has a very distinct colorful style that is immediateley recognized as his. It fits in to his potato cellars etc. but probably not to your café so just keep up the good work and you will have a very personal café........just my honest opinion.  Anders

Thanks for the input!  I don't really want to "copy" Marcel ... but there are elements there that appeal to me in a way that seems to fit in with my own "style" (if I can call it that) ... so putting some subtle colors in the white door creates a result that I find appealing, and that's my take on how to adapt things that I like from his style ... if that makes sense!

There are also stylistic elements that I'd like to copy/adapt from YOU & Chuck, etc ... but that's going to be a little tougher!  ;D

Thanks all!  Gotta do three more windows for the upper story & finish the cornice ... then on to the rest of the crazy project.  

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Gordon Ferguson

Dallas, just catching up!

Great door, love the finish and that door knob and the key plate are great  ...... tried this slotting of screw heads in 1/35 before , mine ended looking like they had been attacked by overly large screwdriver, yours look perfect to me .

To get stuff that good I would need to move up to 1/16 scale  ....... now thats an idea  ::)
Gordon

Malachi Constant

And now ... a silly little side trip!   ;D

Got to thinking about that open window ... you see, we're not planning to put a detailed interior on the upper level.  So there was some concern about the viewer's attention wandering too far.  Sure, we can add curtains ... and we will, but maybe we could add something on the window sill to stop the viewer's attention there.  Hmm.  Ripening tomatoes?  No, too tricky.  What we need here is something "easy as pie."

Malachi Constant

Put a blob of "pie filling" in the pan... roll out the top crust with a really gigantic rolling pin and cut it into strips ...

Malachi Constant

Go watch a video about making lattice pie crust in 1:1 scale.  Briefly consider why we're making a silly little inedible pie instead of a nice tasty real one.  ::)  ???  :P

Malachi Constant

Finish the crust around the edges ... and don't forget "the money shot"  8)

Malachi Constant

In our next installment, we'll bake our lovely little pie ... this might take a while ... we're still waiting for the light bulb to warm up!  ;D

Cheers,
Chef Dallas

Malachi Constant

Hey kids, it's pie time!

Malachi Constant

Easy come, easy go ...  ;D

BTW, if the text looks fuzzy ... CLICK the photo names to enlarge!  ;)

Cheers,
Dallas

Ray Dunakin

LOL! Tell Mr. Mudgeon to save a slice for me!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Malachi Constant

Bricks?

Curious what y'all might think, so ...

ALL thoughts, comments & criticism welcome (and invited!)

Thanks in advance!
Dallas

Malachi Constant

FYI:  Scale is 1/35 ... photos appear 3x to 4x actual size on a 19" monitor.

Thanks again!
Dallas

Malachi Constant

Alternate coloring ... still working on it!   ???  8)  :P