• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 scale Sandwich Shop ... already in progress

Started by Malachi Constant, April 29, 2011, 11:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malachi Constant

Chipped Bricks on Toast ... continued from bottom of previous page

The "Picket Fence" (white) crackle was toned down a bit with some of the Black Soot crackle ... then washed with Reaper Bone Shadow (warm, putty/gray) and Shadowed Stone (darker gray) and diluted Vallejo black ink ... the wet coats facilitated some chipping ...

Black bricks were washed with the same Reaper colors ...
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Malachi Constant

After the paint was chipped, I let it dry thoroughly for a couple of days ... then used various diluted reds and inks to add more variation in color to the exposed brick in the chipped areas ... then a couple fairly heavy coats of Krylon clear flat, hoping that would "glue" the crackle paint in place and prevent further unwanted chipping (and that did work!)  ;)

Mortar was laid in with thin bands of Sculptamold (like Milliput) shaped with a plastic toothpick ... still needs coloring on the mortar ...

Malachi Constant

Next up:  Color & discolor the mortar a bit then have a look to see what's needed for final coloring / weathering.  This photo is about 4x actual size on a 19" monitor.

Cheers,
Dallas

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

That could have turned out a lot worse. -- Russ

Junior

Quote from: finescalerr on September 04, 2012, 12:46:14 AM
That could have turned out a lot worse. -- Russ

That could have turned out a lot better too... ;D! Just kidding looks great to me. Will the Sandwich Shop be located next to Mudgeon´s Garage?

Anders

Malachi Constant

Anders -- The garage may end up being a short walk from the sammich shop ...  ;)

Now, who's going to be the first to try laying wonky bricks like these?

Malachi Constant

It's actually an effect known as "the cafe wall illusion" -- all of the bricks are square/rectangular and the mortar lines are parallel ... if you don't believe it, hold a straight edge against the screeen!  ;D

I definitely will NOT be doing the side wall like this!  ;D  -- Dallas

Ray Dunakin

Ray Dunakin's World

mad gerald

Quote from: Malachi Constant on September 04, 2012, 10:37:20 PM
...Now, who's going to be the first to try laying wonky bricks like these?
... now that's really weird ...  ::)
Quote from: Malachi Constant on September 04, 2012, 10:39:08 PM
I definitely will NOT be doing the side wall like this!  ;D  -- Dallas
... oh come on, don't be such a spoil sport ...  ;D

BTW: your "sammich shop" (wall) already looks the part!

Malachi Constant

No big earth-shaking news here ... (not that you'd expect that anyway!)  ::) ... but it's always nice to make a little progress ...

Some construction work underway ... the outside of the long black wall will get covered in bricks.  I've made a couple thousand of those, which should be enough  ??? ... or at least a decent start.  :P

Starting to mess around with interior bits and making sure everything will fit in the cramped little shop ... the missing long wall will be attached to the top floor panel to form a pull-out "drawer" interior ... more on that later.  ;D

Cheers,
Dallas

Ray Dunakin

Good to see some progress. I'm looking forward to seeing how you do the pull-out interior for this structure.

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Malachi Constant

Thanks guys!  Now, hold on to your hats ... time for a massive update!  (Well, massive for me anyway)  ;D

I've been on manic overload at work ... which is actually a nice change ... and entails many, many hours making resin castings at a couple of other workbenches.  During that time, my mind sorta wanders a bit ... and recently it worked out all this crap for me!  :D  So, this stuff all came together remarkably fast when I got to the modeling bench ...

First, a couple of construction pix ...

Malachi Constant

A copy of the linoleum pattern that I used, in case anyone might find that useful ...

I stitched the pattern together (copy-n-paste) and made a sheet larger than needed ... printed on regular paper ... allowed ink to dry ... several coats of Krylon clear flat ...

Installed on floor before side wall was placed to avoid impossibly awkward situation!  ;D  :P