• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 scale Sandwich Shop ... already in progress

Started by Malachi Constant, April 29, 2011, 11:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malachi Constant

Thanks guys!  Kinda fun to see the changes in the stove there ... look forward to putting some burgers or something (pancakes?) on that griddle.  

Ray -- The burner bits weren't really complicated ... just a bit of repetitive action with two pair of tweezers!   Before starting, I thought "what the heck are burner grilles supposed to look like?" ... and just as I was about to surf the web for some photos, I thought "oh yeah" ... then went to look at the gas stove in the kitchen here.  ;D

Frederic -- Great idea!  It occurred to me after the pieces were together that I could have planned ahead for some flickering LED's, etc ... managed to let it go as "just an idea."  ;)

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

k27rgs

I don't think some modelers ( not including forum members ) ...know how much work is involved in getting the Verlindin castings cleaned and ready for finishing.

They would have to be the worst castings I have ever purchased ( i have a large range  ), but when completed, they are great.

Dallas...   i've been lurking and watching your progress....

cheers mate     "M"

Malachi Constant

Quote from: k27rgs on October 10, 2012, 04:59:42 AM
I don't think some modelers ( not including forum members ) ...know how much work is involved in getting the Verlindin castings cleaned and ready for finishing.

They would have to be the worst castings I have ever purchased ( i have a large range  ), but when completed, they are great.

Well said!  I make castings every day ... and on the rare occasion when I make one with surface bubbles or a thick, ugly backing ... that goes straight into the trash and the customer never sees it!  :)  The Verlinden stuff is hit or miss ... but there is a lot of useful stuff at a low price.  The cabinet that I used for the base of the sink had a completely wonky top, which I cut off.  The stove needed minor repair of bubbles, replacement of some incomplete handles (which look better with wire) and leveling of the claw feet (which are a cool detail).  But ... that kitchen set has a LOT of stuff that I'm putting to use and it's a LOT quicker than scratchbuilding every little bit.

Meanwhile, I chopped the top of the wash basin base from the Verlinden set and added a new styrene top to make it a work counter.  (That particular Verlinden casting was completely good!)  Primer on the stove with some flat black on top so I don't have to get a paint brush underneath the delicate parts ... just pick out the details ... (but first it needs a bit more flat black from the front).  8)

Also ... both Frederic Testard and Bill Gill were kind enough to send me "straightened" versions of the Dan-Dee potato chip can that I posted earlier ... making some progress on re-working that to produce a miniature version.  That's just a "test" print on the counter there ... will try to make the actual canister a little bit better!  :D

Mailman brought some neato-boffo pre-painted photo-etch kitchen accessories from Eduard.  Set #36185, available from Lucky Model in Japan with free shipping:

http://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=36185

Bunch of close-up photos posted here:
http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=1518.msg37264#msg37264

Cheers,
Dallas

k27rgs

I actually made a few RTV moulds of the Verlin castings down to the sprue.  I then ended up with much cleaner  product.
It might sound crazy or a lot of work.  It was simple and quick. 

Malachi Constant

Just a couple LITTLE things this time ... didn't find a spatula in either the Aber or Eduard photo-etch kitchen sets, so it's time to get out the nippers and some scrap brass ...

Malachi Constant

Happened to notice that these little micro-brushes could be used to clean the glasses ...

Malachi Constant

There are LOTS of useful parts in the photo-etch and resin sets on hand ... but it's fun to fill in the missing pieces.   (Honestly, I think my giant fake coins are getting more realistic all the time.  Pretty good tarnishing on this one, eh?)  8)

Cheers,
Dallas

finescalerr

Dallas, either you have shrunk or your modeling skills are terrific. Nice work, although I secretly suspect you've lost your cotton pickin' mind. -- Russ

lab-dad

Dallas,
I must admit you are the nuttiest one of this bunch.
I had hoped to win but you have us all beat.
Congratulations!
BTW nice utensels.
Marty

Malachi Constant

Well, if it that's true ... the only reasonable response is to up the ante before someone tries to steal the crown from King Nutty!  ;D

Malachi Constant

Okay ... so the mouse trap isn't really "fine scale"   ::) ... but this little scene will go beneath the high-boy fridge.  That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!  :P

Cheers,
Dallas

Gordon Ferguson

As one who has recently been involved with some work where my 1/35 scale plants roots , all of 2 to 3 mm long were picked up for insufficient taper I can well appreciate how this road leads to insanity.

Dallas, we may well be on the same road, you are just a few miles ahead of me  ;)

But it's great work Dallas  and very entertaining !
Gordon

Ray Dunakin

LOL!! You have indeed upped the ante, and provided some laughs as well!

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Malachi Constant

Thanks guys!  That was definitely fun, but it's time to work on something a little bit bigger!  ;D

The boxtop photo for the Verlinden kitchen set shows some ornamental trim on the stove doors -- apparently hand-painted, which didn't seem like a job that I wanted to tackle!  So, I downloaded some clip art patterns and messed around with those a bit.

Set shown below is 4x actual size used ... brown set used on the stove ... blue set is for the coffee grinder shown in the Verlinden photo, which I haven't done yet!  8)  And, of course, anyone who wants to is welcome to use the decal pattern ... that's why it's here!  You can open the PNG file in PC Paint (etc.) and set it to print at 25% on the "page set up" tab.  ;)

Malachi Constant

Here's the stove painted and decaled ... or at least the first round!  Will see how it looks in context ... when there is more context ( ;D) ... and decide if it needs anything else ... well, definitely a few doo-hickey details on top and some burgers on the griddle, but we'll get to that!  8)

Cheers,
Dallas