• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 scale Sandwich Shop ... already in progress

Started by Malachi Constant, April 29, 2011, 11:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Looking good!

I'm picturing bright red nail polish for the "feet" on the stove.   ;)

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

So is the "decal" actually white paper with the artwork printed on it? -- Russ

Malachi Constant

Russ --

No ... the decals for the stove and coffee grinder were printed on Testor's clear decal film.  Also did some little red stripes for the coffee mugs, but not sure how those are going to work out yet.

The decals that I did for the framed photos & clock were done on white decal paper.  Will also use that to make the potato chip can.

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Malachi Constant

Time for some more background decals ...

-- Dug out some Reality-in-Scale "Small Cans" that I'd gotten a while back and those proved to be slightly disappointing.  They're only "small" if you're feeding an army!  Only the smallest of the four sizes is what you could call "grocery size."  Also, the printing on the decals is mediocre ... suitable for background items (which I'm doing here) but not as sharp as the Dio-Art paper labels shown below.

-- Also in the stash, some Verlinden cans (yellowish resin) from their "Bottles, Crates & Cans" set ... the two smaller sizes of these worked well alongside the smallest R-i-S cans (gray resin). 

-- Dio-Art printed labels are nice and sharp!  But, I also "used up" the Reality-in-Scale decals, since these cans are very much going to be background "corner-of-the-eye" details ...

-- Some small and medium "grocery size" cans next to a super-jumbo, mega-Cosco size bottle of Testor's cement!  ;D  The sharper labels are from the Dio-Art sets ... but these will all go on a top shelf in the very back corner.  Should be just a barely-noticeable bit of detail to add some depth ... unless I screw up all of the actual focal points!  ;D  8)  Boxes were from one of the other Verlinden sets ... I think it was the Workshop & Warehouse Stuff set or something like that.  PS -- Yeah, the cans are pretty crooked here ... it's like tiddly-winks ... until they actually get glued down, you can't straighten one without knocking over the rest!

Malachi Constant

-- Next up ... a plate shelf something like this ... without the ornamental column detail.

-- A few big pieces of styrene and a LOT of little pieces!  :P

Malachi Constant

Some of those little dowels are a little  ::) but I'm definitely too  :o to straighten then out at this point!  Just tell yourself that they'll mostly disappear when the rack is filled with dishes!  ;D

Those "corner of the eye" grocery items will go on the top of the dish rack ... so they'll literally become "disappearing" background items, but hopefully add a little depth.  Of course, we might not need that in the end ... looks like there will be about 40 zillion stupid little details in here before it's all done!  8)

Lighting is pretty harsh and uneven here ... that's a future project!  ;)

Cheers,
Dallas

finescalerr

Dallas, you have lost your cotton pickin' mind. But if you finish the model I would love to publish an article. -- Russ

Younger

Dallas, how about something behind the stove to keep the nice painted wall from getting grease splatter from the cooking?
-Younger
-Younger

Gordon Ferguson

Dallas,

That plate drying rack is a little piece of plastic magic :o

Younger, great idea ........ Dallas I reckon about 36 , 6" square tiles ..... of course all individual and hand painted please
Gordon

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Malachi Constant

Russ -- I'd be delighted!  Can't imagine when the term "finished" might be used here, but maybe we'll make enough "progress" on the interior or something to suit an issue?

Jerry / Gordon -- Oh crap, another project!  Yeah, I suppose a bit of tile back there would be the thing to do!

Ray -- Thanks!  Forgot to say that your suggestion of painting toe nails on the oven's claw feet cracked me up!  ;D

Cheers,
Dallas

finescalerr

It would go in the Modelers' Annual, Dallas. You have almost a full year to mess with it. -- Russ

Malachi Constant

Quote from: finescalerr on October 25, 2012, 12:31:57 PM
It would go in the Modelers' Annual, Dallas. You have almost a full year to mess with it. -- Russ

Ah, piece of cake!  Conveniently ignoring the fact that I've been building and re-building this stupid thing for a year-and-a-half already.  ;D  But, it does seem like we're on a bit of a roll here now, and that's certainly a good incentive.  (Damn fine incentive actually, and very pleased you've asked!)  I'll contact you privately about some of the particulars ... I've been shooting progress photos with my old Nikon D40 ... but dear-old-Dad has a D5100 (or probably something even better by now) that I can borrow when the time comes to shoot high-rez pix ... we'll get into that.  Meanwhile ...

Your thoughts & ideas, please!

Before I get too deep into the (excellent) backsplash idea and screw it up too badly, let me ask for your help up front!  ;D  Now, I really, really, really don't want to have to cut into the wall ... because of the way it's constructed and the likelihood of causing disaster there.  However, there should be a number of ways to approach this.  Some thoughts:

-- install an asbestos panel floor-to-ceiling behind the stove (and hood?) and frame in a tile back splash ...
-- or whatever variations y'all can imagine ... and, if you can imagine them well, as much detail in your description as possible please!  Example photos are okay -- don't worry about hijacking here!  (Thanks in advance!)

I've already downloaded a bunch of tile mosaics ... here's one that looks reasonably suitable stuck in place with some poster tack ... and a few unfinished stove-top details loosely placed.  Think the teapot will get a copper finish, the cooking pot will get a blue spatterware finish and the coffee pot will get a tarnished steel/aluminum or whatever that would be finish.  The griddle area will probably get some near-finished hamburgers toward the rear and one with cheese melting near the front with that little spatula shown before ready to serve-it-up.

Once "the plan" is worked out, then some effort would be made to snazz up the image, create the impression of grout lines, surrounding tiles and/or whatever!

PS -- Please don't limit yourself to trying to make "this" idea (mosaic tile backsplash) work ... any/all thoughts, ideas, alternatives, etc. are welcome!  Sometimes, I like to just "try" things, knowing they might have to get re-done ... but it's also really nice to get some things "right" the first time, and your help is very valuable there!  ;)

Thanks!
Dallas

Younger

Dallas, if you really wanted it simple, a stainless hood and a sheet of stainless for the backsplash would do it. Not very creative, though.
-Younger
-Younger

marc_reusser

This whole project just,....well....continues to confirm my thoughts that you are insane in the membrane! ;D :P
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works