• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 scale Sandwich Shop ... already in progress

Started by Malachi Constant, April 29, 2011, 11:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1-32

hi dallas
i think you bring out the interior designers in all of us any way .
the range hood should be copper and the splash back mosaic tiles .what you are looking for is french or spanish country style  kitchens.
kind regards kim

Malachi Constant

Quote from: marc_reusser on October 26, 2012, 04:13:56 PM
This whole project just,....well....continues to confirm my thoughts that you are insane in the membrane! ;D :P

So, no new info, eh?  ;D

Quote from: 1-32 on October 28, 2012, 01:19:37 PM
hi dallas
i think you bring out the interior designers in all of us any way .
the range hood should be copper and the splash back mosaic tiles .what you are looking for is french or spanish country style  kitchens.
kind regards kim

Thanks, Kim!  Jerry and a couple others suggested stainless steel backsplash ... which is definitely "practical" and suitable for a 1940s setting, but my lurker buddy Bill Gill came up with a better suggestion:  pressed tin panel(s)!  That's equally practical, but a little more "telling" of the time frame and the modest setting.  I really like the mosaic tile look, but I think it will prove to be a little too "fru-fru"  ("froo-froo?")  for this setting ... so I've done some tests and it looks like we'll go with some miniature pressed tin.  And, you're spot-on about the copper hood ... will do!

Meanwhile, just another little "wall object" for the back wall by the sink.  Obnoxious close-up ... with an actual-size inset and a "normal" close-up ... think we've got roughly the right feeling here, but open to comments.  It's stuck to a grungy old piece of cardboard for now, so the glue could dry before I check it in place on the wall.  Also, picked up some spray paint needed for the dish rack ... which may have to wait until the hurricane passes.   ::)  :P

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Malachi Constant

Well, no glamor shots at the moment ... just reporting in.  Currently mired in some pesky little bits ... but I thought I'd go ahead and report that it initial attempts to add some shape to some of the "flat" PE parts in the Eduard kitchen accessories set looks promising ...

Used a "giant" hammer, some various pieces of styrene rod and some pressed paper board (Task Board) under the pieces and literally POUNDED some shape into the frying pans. Cut the points off a bunch of round toothpicks and used a bunch of those to pound some depth into each of the little muffin tin openings ... toothpick only lasts for one or two muffins!  ;D  Then ya gotta turn it over and straighten out the hole thing with fingers, steel rule, etc. Looks like this effort along with a little shading with some paints/inks will give enough depth/shape to these items ...

Another slow-moving bit: trimmed out a zillion little PE dishes, pounded some shape into those and printed decals ... no pix yet ...

Cheers,
Dallas

Malachi Constant

-- Not hard to imagine a little place like this having a mish-mash of plates from different sets as found in the Eduard PE set ... but that seemed a little too distracting for this background stuff ... so the plates all got repainted and decaled in a traditional, boring cafe pattern!  ::)  :P

-- Brushed Vallejo mat varnish onto the surfaces where the plates would sit/touch the rack ... it acts as an adhesive, but completely "disappears" (clear & flat). But, it doesn't set very quickly, so ya gotta be a little careful to get things where ya want 'em and not bump 'em too much while working.

Malachi Constant

-- Still have to add the smaller plates on the lower shelf ... but will leave some open space so y'all can decide if it's half full or half empty.   ;D

-- The place is ever-so-slowly fillin' up!  Stove backsplash will get replaced with pressed tin panels as soon as we find a scale hardware store that carries them.  ;)

Cheers,
Dallas

mad gerald

Dallas,

I've seen oversized coins for comparison many times before ... but oversized fingers/thumbs seems new to me ...  ;)

BTW: ... very nice work ... keep filling up the place ...  ;D

fspg2

Dallas,

Excellent task, ... now I wish for dishes in the scale 1:22,5 :)

@Gerald
It´s a photoshop gimmick ;)

Frithjof

Malachi Constant

Quote from: fspg2 on November 11, 2012, 02:11:05 AM
Dallas,

Excellent task, ... now I wish for dishes in the scale 1:22,5 :)

@Gerald

Well, I don't think YOU will have any difficulty making dishes ... but if you want to be "lazy" ... there are some made for the 1:24 dollhouse market ... and real plates do vary in size.  For example, these are glass:
http://www.virtualdollhouse.net/VDSTORE/Half-Scale-Finished.htm#Half%20Scale%20%281:24%29%20Linden%20Swiss

Maybe I should try to disguise the fake fingers better?

finescalerr

I find the absence of scale food on the supposedly dirty dishes an unforgivable oversight. -- ssuR

mad gerald

Quote from: fspg2 on November 11, 2012, 02:11:05 AM
@Gerald
...  ;D  ;D  ;D ...
@Frithjof
... long time no see ...  ;)

Quote from: Malachi Constant on November 11, 2012, 11:49:53 AM
Maybe I should try to disguise the fake fingers better?
... definitely absolutely ... but on the other hand ...  ::) ... do you really think it would work, disguising giant fake fingers with bulgy green eyes ...  ???

TRAINS1941

And your telling me Marty Jones is crazy??????

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Malachi Constant

Quote from: finescalerr on November 11, 2012, 11:56:06 AM
I find the absence of scale food on the supposedly dirty dishes an unforgivable oversight. -- ssuR

Ah, yes ... well, tonight I baked made-from-scratch chocolate chip cookies with my two lovely little nieces ... and I can tell you everything there is to know about dirty dishes, pans, bowls & floors ... and smiling facing smeared with gooey chocolate chip cookies and ice cream!  Suitable miniature mess will follow ...

Cheers,
Dallas

shropshire lad

Quote from: Malachi Constant on November 11, 2012, 08:02:30 PM
Quote from: finescalerr on November 11, 2012, 11:56:06 AM

Ah, yes ... well, tonight I baked made-from-scratch chocolate chip cookies with my two lovely little nieces  ... and smiling facing smeared with gooey chocolate chip cookies and ice cream! 

Cheers,
Dallas

And your nieces got a bit on themselves , as well !

Junior

As usual great work Dallas, looking forward to much more from your magic hands!

Anders

Malachi Constant

Well, somebody was waaaaayyyy overdue for a personal modeling break ... so, tonight I made a nice, safe asbestos mat to put under that big clunky stove ... and a tin backsplash to keep the crap ... er, grease & stuff ... off the wall. You can see all the irregularities in the homemade tin when you look this close (first photo) ...

But, I think that once all the "foreground" stuff shapes up, it will become "just" a background texture as intended. Think I'm gonna cut the height down by about a row ... and, in case it isn't incredibly obvious ... everything's kinda jury-rigged and crooked and stuff at this point!  ;D