• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

a couple of firsts

Started by Jed C, April 30, 2011, 09:54:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jed C

this is my first post so go easy  ;)
i have been lurking for a while now and find some of the work posted here unbelievably good. i also like the variety  of subjects you guys discus and build, so well done to all.
a little about myself then: my interests lies in European trucks and more towards 1900's to the mid 1980's than the present day ones. i had a 25 year spell away from building like most and only got back in to modeling again about 2-3 years ago only to find so much had changed, including the prices of kits  :o
i am a very, very slow builder so i have only built a couple of builds of the last few years, which i will get round to telling you about in other threads.
but for now on to my second first, weathering LOL

the chassis i am using for practicing the weathering is a test build chassis for another project which can be seen HERE (hope that is permitted Admin)  i am just about to start the proper chassis for that build.
this left me with the test chassis spare along with a couple of badly cast cabs which has given me the opportunity to have a go at weathering for the first time.

i wanted the chassis to have a very old and rusted look so my intentions was to paint the chassis a rusty colour then use the hairspray and salt technique to reveal the rust colour under the painted top coat. i also took this opportunity to try out some Model Air paints for the first time and also some colours i want for a future build.

anyway i used various browns and rust colours and finally a matt clear over the top to give me this

i then gave it a couple of coats of hairspray and added the salt

well its all going to plan so far so after leaving it for a couple of hours i gave it a few coats of colour. i left it for an hour sat in the glorious sun shine we are blessed with at the moment. then i got a stiff brush and started to remove the salt.
this where it all started going wrong and why there are no pics
the top coat just started to peel of in one big lump   >:( >:( >:(
so in a fit of rage and upset i stripped the chassis
if anyone has any ideas on why this should happen let me know. i think it might be the paint i used ???

back to the drawing board   ::)
i re-primed it then decided to go about it in a different direction and gave it a splash of top coat

at this point i realised this colour might be right for the future build i have planned but not the best for weathering   ::)
this time i applied the mig powders and stippled various browns and rust colours onto the top coat to give me this

well thats one side completed and its not exactly what i was looking for but it will do.
it would probably be best suited for a military build. ho no i have another idea   ::)
i intend on giving the salt technique another go on the cab but i won't use the hairspray and hope the paint works.
if not then i know for sure its the paint and not the hairspray   ;)

well the chassis has stood for a couple of weeks and i picked the cab up and had a play with that.
some time ago i stumbled upon something that at the time destroyed the part i was using. i wanted to strip enamel paint off a part and in my ultimate wisdom decided to use some paint stripper. well it ruined the finish on the resin part and i made a mental note not to do that again. well as i am trying to create a wagon that is decaying i thought i would splash some paint stripper on the cab and see how it turned out.

i left it for a while then washed it off. i did intend on taking photos but i got carried away and before i knew i had primed and got a coat of rust on it. on top of that the only pic i did take wasn't the best   :-[

i didn't have much luck with the hairspray so i took a different approach. i used liquid mask to cover all the areas i wanted the rust to show through.

i then applied a coat of colour and peeled away the liquid mask. now i don't know why but this build is looking more and more military as it goes on. it wasn't my intention its just the way its turning out LOL

here it is with its first washes and pigments applied

i left alone for a day or two and went over things again. although it seems to stand out in the pics it is a bit more subtle in real life

i still need to go over it again but will wait until i have built the wagon up a bit more. so this is my first attempts at weathering. if you can give me any help or advice fire away
hope you like

marc_reusser

Jed,

Welcome to the forum. I do have some ideas, and hopefully helpful comments on what may be happening and how to fix it...unfortunately I can't type fast enough to do it at the moment (need to runn out). but wanted to ask, what scale am I looking at (looks like 1/35 or 1/32)...and did you use Humbrol (acrylic?) for all your painting?

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Malachi Constant

Hi Jed --

Welcome aboard!  (Was that easy enough?)  ;D

The pitted effects on the cab look interesting ... we'll probably need to know more specifics on the salt/hairspray problem (including what was used underneath and over top) to help you sort that out ...

The link to your project doesn't quite work, as that forum requires membership ... so perhaps you could post the relevant photos or info here.

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Jed C

Hi guys thank you for replying, i will try to answer some of the questions

scale is 1:24 and the paints used were
Halfords plastic primer then a mixture of different Vellejo model air acrylic browns and the top coat was also Vellejo model air acrylic

QuoteThe link to your project doesn't quite work, as that forum requires membership ... so perhaps you could post the relevant photos or info here.

oops sorry  :-[
i intend posting the build so Adin can alter the link to new thread then  ;)

Jed C

to add to the above post i think the problems with the chassis are due to the top coat. i did the cab top coat with Tamiya acrylic and that did not go the same way.

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

artizen

It's all looking really good to me. Love the pitted rust effect on the cab and the second attempt at the railway wagon is very realistic. But then, I am a lurker, not a finescaler. I have a Bedford 1:24 truck nearly finished but in a more pristine condition as it is supposed to represent a rebuilt vintage vehicle not an abandoned wreck.
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

marc_reusser

Jed,
Just as a note...I have the tact of a freight train...it's nothing personal...just how I am....SO...
First lets discuss the paint you used. If you are going to do the Hairspray chipping, Tamiya is definitely the better acrylic paint to use....this has to do with its chemical composition and the way it forms/bonds as a layer....and chemical composition is why Vallejo acrylics (and other acrylics) can be a problem. They can work, but you need to practice and take care how you work the chipping.  When doing the HS method, it is best to work with a thin overall paint coat...the thinner the better the technique will work. Based on what I see in your photos, your paint coats seem very thick and heavy. When you apply Vallejo like this they form a thick sheet, which when doing the HS method, when wetted all over will release in large chunks and pieces.  You also need to take care not to apply the color too wet, because this could cause mixing and bonding issues with the HS layer.

You should also take care not to shoot too wet when using the salt technique...because the salt will start to dissolve and cause issues , unwanted/out of scale textures, discoloration of the paint, or bonding with the paint.  Though some effects like this may be of interest in areas of a model, unless you know what you are doing, and can control and contain them, they will quickly become a problem.

Lastly is removal of the salt and HS. I usually  just use a brush(es) to remove the salt...it generally falls right off. then to start doing the HS chipping I wet only a small area at a time....this way I can control where I want the HS to release and how much chipping I want....if it is not wet enough, you can always come back and wet it more...but if you over-wet, especially with Vallejo and such, you will stand a far greater chance of large pieces/sheets coming off, instead of small fine chips.

So...in summary I would guess you sprayed too heavy, used a difficult paint to do this with for your first time, and used far too much water during chipping.

On your follow-up posts as to the truck looking military...well I think that is due to your final color choice, and the way your resin damage from the stripper looks like shell pockmarks in armor. I understand that you are simply trying to utilize and experiment with the damage that you already have on the cab....but doing this is not doing you any favors...if you really want to use this as a learning experiment I would putty fill those so you get some semblance of a normal cab....and then...here is the important part.....browse the web, find and print out some reference photos of the effect you are trying to achieve....and then start your weathering experiment.

Marc

M-Works

jacq01

Jed, 

welcome. 

Looking at the pitting , particullary on the roof, they appear too deep. They look more like dents.
Remember, the sheet thickness of the roof plating in cabins is max 1mm., in cars even 0,7mm.  and the paint thickness is around 0,1 - 0,2 mm.

regards
  Jacq

put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Jed C

thank you again for the welcomes and the info  ;)
i think you are perfectly correct Marc i didn't use the right paints especially for my first attempts, we live and learn. i will stick to the Tamiya acrylic for future weathering and see how that goes. i will push on with it as getting another can isn't a problem. at least i can compare the differences between them and how much i have progressed or not LOL
Jacq i was trying to get the effect that the roof was virtually rusted through but again your possibly right as its a bit out of scale now

it is coming on and i am learning, i will post a photo later  ;)

marc_reusser

Quote from: Jed C on May 02, 2011, 12:02:19 PM

i will push on with it as getting another can isn't a problem.

Aaahh.....WAIT!....did you say CAN!?....are you using the Tamiya spray paints?.....those are a whole different animal from the jar paints. You need to use the Tamiya jar paint and airbrush it on.

Marc

M-Works

Jed C

HAHA no sorry typo! should of said 'cab' LOL