• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/4" C.H.B. Wilamette Loader

Started by lab-dad, May 01, 2011, 05:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Doan

Oil burner piping would be interesting to see....
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

marc_reusser

Quote from: Chuck Doan on May 02, 2011, 02:01:11 PM
Oil burner piping would be interesting to see....

Oh sure, push the matter....like I don't have enough to do this week. ;D

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

lab-dad

Does this look any better?
any suggestions on the color here?
A little late to repaint the whole thing. :(

-mj

TRAINS1941

-MJ

I'm not an expert.  But it looks pretty dam good to me.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Junior

I agree and what a GREAT kit..... ::)! All details seem to be there according to the books mentioned here earlier "In Search of Steam Donkeys" and the Wilamette reprint cat.

Anders ;D

chester

jacq01

Marty,

what is the reason for the different color of the cleaning access opening locks ?  
  Shouldn't the brake surface on the drums be blank metal ?  
  Will you add grease / oil on wear surfaces ?  
  It looks your kit had complete hinges for the hood. The hinges in both kits I have were damaged/not complete.

Here a photo of the unfinished kit. Still have to add the waterglas of the boiler, water and oil tank with piping.

The model was painted with Humbrol/Revell faded black. After an extended drying period   ;) , Abt 502 grease and oil have added to all wear surface like bearings, gears, etc.
 I hope to have the donkey on the 52'0" sled ready for the US-convention 17/18 October in Frankfurt.

Jacq

P.S. I have the Willamette catologue reprint and the book "In search of Steam Donkeys" + some other logging books with good photo's of donkeys in operation.

put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Chuck Doan

I think the color looks fine as a starting point. You might consider some gwosh weathering since it can be adjusted or even removed if you dont like it. You might test on something first.

Marc might have some ideas for oil paints. I haven't done much with them yet. And MArc take you time on the info, my project is at least 6 years on hold. But I am getting interested again...

I never got beyond the Hobby Black stage on mine.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

lab-dad

Jerry, Junior, Chester, Thank you.

Jacq,
Thanks. The brake drums are shiny/bare/polished, just does not show up good.
The crab claws are a different color because I have not done anything to them yet.
I kinda liked the different color (at first) but it is too much, again this is early in the construction.
They would only be rusty if they were leaking - not good!

I have not added any grease/oil yet, again it is not done.
More on my sled later also.....

On the bonnet mine was destroyed also.
I rebuilt the hinges in brass strap and used .5mm bolts to attach them to the castings.
Here is a shot of it open;

Chuck thanks for the gawsh suggestion, I "might" try that.
Looks like you have a good start on a sled too!

-Marty

finescalerr

I think it looks good, Marty. No nitpicks at this stage. -- Russ

marc_reusser

Marty; The coloring built model looks good...when all together and with some weathering it worked out. No way you built that overnight though...why the subterfuge. ;D

Jacq; I like the coloring so far, I think Chuck's idea of some fading, shading, and streaking is spot on, and will bring it to life.

Really glad to see that both of these got built into such lovely models, and will be put to good use. Better than just sitting on a shelf.  :)

Chuck; I really like the sled, graining and attention to detail are perfect. I have a bunch of logging blocks, tongs and such, (even fairleads...though those are more for a yarder) if you want/need them to hang on the unit.

Marc

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Frederic Testard

I love your model, Marty. It's more complicated than the AH&D so I won't try to scratchbuild one, I think. Makes me even more admirative for Charles Brommer fantastic work as a kit designer and maker.
The colors of the top of the boiler when the bonnet is open are wonderful.
Frederic Testard

lab-dad

Sorry Marc,
I was not going to post but Jerry kept asking so i figured what the hell.
I like to stay ahead of the photos in case I screw up.
Glad you all like the current coloring....more layers to come though!
nad I always appreciate feedback (even when I dont like it)  ;)

CHUCK What color would you suggest for the gawsh? Black? and/or?......

Fredric i agree i think some additional layers on your model will really bring it to life!

-Marty

Frederic Testard

They WOULD, Marty. The donkey was glued and covered by a shed... But I agree that on a more visible model, the kind of finish you've done is a great plus.
Frederic Testard

james_coldicott

Marty,

been watching your progress and I think your model will turn out great. Called to mind the attached photo's... obviously this loader is 'stuffed and mounted' but recent paint and a little weathering which hopefully might help with your weathering choice and I hope is close to the finish you were aiming for.

I think that modelling a machine in the early stages of use is much harder to realistically depict than something that has seen a decade or so of abuse in the woods. There is no where to hide errors. Brave!

hope the pics are of some use.

James