• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The former blacksmith shop in Rickarum, Sweden. 1/35 scale,

Started by Junior, May 09, 2011, 02:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior

Thanks very much, Gordon, Dallas, Michael, Frank and Don  ;D!

I agree on the corrugated Don, wouldn´t look so great on a model. New pictures coming up soon......have been asked to speed it up.....will do!

Anders  ;D

DaKra

finescalerr

The backplate almost looks like a happy face. Go stand in the corner. -- Russ

Frederic Testard

Wonderful job, Dave. You should simply not say European since there are many different sorts of plugs in Europe (that being said, I have absolutely no problem with you calling it European)...
Frederic Testard

Junior

Dave, the design is very accurate just like in the pictures I sent you. As you explained to me there is a problem with a very rough surface when you laser cut pieces in 3D and resin would be a better choice. Think I can get rid of some by over spraying with glossy black.
Happy face ;D... or not the plug look like it´s been in a fire.... ;D ;D. Anyway I think they will be fine.

Thanks Dave,

Anders

DaKra

No there is no 3d engraving and the rough surface is the matte paint I brushed on for the test.   

Dave

danpickard

Anders,
Just giving this one a nudge...finished yet :)

Cheers,
Dan

Malachi Constant

I hope he didn't burn the place down trying to wire those laserboard sockets!  ;D  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

finescalerr

Anders recently told me that the diorama is nearing completion; he just has been unable to keep up with photo documentation. -- Russ

Junior

Time for an update!

Nearing completion? Still a long way to go but no fires caused by lousy wiring so far. I´ll guess with the dump site included sixty percent is done of the diorama.

So why has it taken so long? Well 1/35 scale is much more demanding than my usual work in 1/87 scale. Also I have been quite busy testing new techniques and of course re-doing tons of stuff and secondly been a bit lazy with the camera. Usual scale......not sure I will return to 1/87 scale in the near future at least not for dioramas as I already have quite specific plans for a new one in 1/35 scale. It´s easy to get addicted.

I have changed the concept a bit so intstead of having a guy work on his car in a garage it´s now a small motorcycle repair shop set in the early 1960´s and that means of course a lot more work as well. Have more or less finished the walls for the main building and the add on building except for the texture on the inside and some detailing on the stones on the outside - quite a bit to do here. The first space in the add on building will feature a paint shop with a compressor, spray gun etc. Not really sure what to do with the space next to the paint shop but I have a few ideas - have to see when all walls are up how visible that space will be.

Haven´t started on the small cottage yet that will be located at the very back of the diorama but that should go pretty quickly to finish as I will slice it in half in order to reduce the depth of the diorama and also it looks like the prototype is not very weathered and that means less work as well.

The large grey work desk is from Verlinden but completely re-worked with an open drawer and small shelf - thanks Spencer P. for some great ideas. If I would do it again I would scratchbuild one - a lot easier! The metal shelves are also from Verlinden and are just temporarily in place. The steel work bench, cabinets, shelves etc. arer all scratchbuilt. The Verlinden drill press has also been re-worked. Dallas showed a few neat ideas in his thread that I couldn´t resist to copy - also added a serial no.plate plus a few other details. The black electrical outlets and light switches were custom made by Dave at Vectorcut plus some other parts that will be used later on in the build. Fluorescent lights were provided by Bill Satore at Microlumina and will be installed last. Thanks guys! Still reman things to correct, replace details etc. on these first interior shots.

So far only two walls are permanently installed on the main building. Along the second long wall there will be among other other things a lathe. Maybe a bit too much for a small bike repair shop but let´s say he bought it second hand at a bargain price! ;D. Guess it could come in handy for re-working damaged cylinders etc.

From now on I`ll do the final texturing, coloring etc. on the inside of the walls when I know where everything will be located. Spent a couple of hours on the long wall with the tool board and about one square inch is visible - waist of time.

Some pictures about four times actual size. All sorts of input appreciated  ???!

Anders

Junior

Junior

Junior