• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The former blacksmith shop in Rickarum, Sweden. 1/35 scale,

Started by Junior, May 09, 2011, 02:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Stunning! I don't know what it is that you think needs fixing, because it all looks great to me!

What I really like is the fact that, despite a MASSIVE amount of detail, it doesn't look overly cluttered or "busy". I've seen too many models with piles of details that are visually overwhelming and don't quite look "right". Yours definitely looks right!

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Malachi Constant

"Amen" to what Ray just said!  Lots of times you see all sorts of un-related details in and around modeled buildings, few of which ever fit the scene.  Anders' shop is FULL of all the stuff that BELONGS there ... and it looks like the natural mess that accumulates in a busy work place.  Any little corner of this shop would make an impressive diorama by itself.  The more you study it, the more you discover.  And every one of those hundreds or thousands of parts has been carefully painted and suitable weathered.  Mind boggling!  (But very pleasing to the eyes)

BTW, I'm curious about Anders' "next project" that "won't have any tools" ... wonder if he'll go into withdrawal?  Or maybe just tremendous relief at not having yet another dang wrench to paint!  ;D  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

finescalerr

The garage needs chains, antlers, and a really hideous, phony looking wash of orange paint to represent rust (especially on the wood and stone parts). What's wrong with you guys? -- ssuR

Junior

Thanks very much guys and as usual much appreciated  ;D! Special thanks to Barney for helping out with the lathe and great fun to see the Norwegian language here!

Gordon.

The final step for the floorboards isn´t done yet. I usually wait until I know where everything will have it´s final place so I don´t put a small dirt pile where there eventually might be an oil drum etc. More stains will be added and finally sifted dirt (powder like) will be rubbed in between and on the surface of the boards to get a dusty look but it won´t make them gray. A few subtle footprints will also be added - just waiting for my new little "toy" from Calibre 35.

Bexley.

On page 15 there´s info on the metallic paints used for the bikes and other parts with a metal finish. In addition to the ones shown I also used
Polished Aluminum. Some chrome parts have tiny chipping done with a 5/0 brush, Abteilung oils etc. Finally I used washes and filters from A.K. Interactive such as Engine Grime, Engine Oil, Fuel Stains and some that I made up myself.

Dallas.

Next diorama will be urban with maybe one tool - a sledge hammer  ;D!

Anders  

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Malachi Constant

Do this ... if you can stand it!  Go look at the MUCH LARGER pix on Mario's site:

http://modvid.com.au/html/body_anders_malmberg.html

It'll blow yer mind!  -- Dallas

finescalerr

EZnKY

Anders, I don't want to be "that guy", but in the spirit of these forums, I have to say something.
First off, your work is fantastic, and as several have pointed out, what makes the shop so impressive is the believability of the stuff.  So many models just look like things have been placed randomly to create clutter, but you have none of that.
Second, it took me a long time to figure what bothered me, and its the wood floor.  The color is great, but its too uniform.  The floor in my grandfather's shop had a dark worn path in front of the workbench from the constant back and forth movement.  And there were visible paths to the most used machines, parts bins, etc.  In a way the floor revealed the history of movement in the shop, and your floor is missing this chapter in the story.

For what that's worth...
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

Malachi Constant

Eric --

Anders mentioned that the floor isn't finished and hinted at things to come in that regard:
http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=1453.msg32311#msg32311

Cheers,
Dallas

Frederic Testard

Wonderful progress, Anders. The bikes, but also all the environment around them, are totally awesome.
Frederic Testard

Junior

Thanks again guys  ;D much appreciated!

Eric your idea of the worn areas is great hadn´t thought of that and will add that as well.

Anders

Franck Tavernier

Anders, as they say here in France, "It's top moumoute!" ;D ;D ;D ::) :P ;)

Franck

EZnKY

Sorry about that - thanks for pointing it out Dallas.
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

Hauk

Skitbra!

Are you bringing this beauty to Norra Sandby in October?

Would love to see the project live!

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

pwranta193

Anders,

Apologies - I am late to the table... I didn't see this one come across the finish line. I think one of your wrenches is crooked.

Other than that, Wow.  Just pure Wow.  I could sit and list my "favorite" little details for an hour - but to repeat the thoughts of others - the fact that there is this much detail in this, but to have it all come together and fit so well... amazing execution...

The finish on the hot water heater... the paint booth and the tarp... the work on the tools - rubber handles, different screw drivers, you name it... the pipe and potato chip bag... the bikes - individually and as a grouping...

You should stick with 1:35 - it suits you.

Thanks for this - I second the centerfold idea!  ;D
Paul

"Did I mention this is a bad idea?"