• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The Workshop and the inside out pump

Started by Barney, May 20, 2011, 05:07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malachi Constant

Wow!  That's one of the most concise SBS's I've ever seen ... and perfectly clear too ... thanks.  Simple approach with a really neat effect.  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Barney

After a break from the workshop to finish other projects off Odd bods and all that stuff for the Euro show - now back at it . Some of the machines painted but still a bit of work to do belts and pulleys and those brass oiler things plus still building more machines -has anybody any thoughts on what to use for the flat belts -paint used was Humbrol enamel -metal finished by dry brushing Humbrol Metal Coat polished steel over tank grey undercoat but I think I might try the AK metal colour on the next lot of machines enclosed photos of some of the machines.
Barney.

Barney

Smaller Lathe and grinder under constuction -both based on LEGO blocks

Gordon Ferguson

Amazing what you can build from a box of Lego these days ;D

Neat work as usual Barney ....................

"Belts" I have used masking tape cut to relevant width , with the gum taken off with nail polish remover (don't ask) the texture of the tape takes paint and dry brushing  ................. or have also tried the ribbon you can get for Xmas parcels it splits down into any width but its not so flexible as masking tape   
Gordon

Ray Dunakin

Those are incredible! One would never have guessed they started out as Legos. They look better than many commercial castings.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

pwranta193

Legos.  Fliippin' Legos... whodda thunk it.  I am so pillaging somebody's toy bin fro my next project.

I love these... and am both jealous and inspired... these came out aces, and you've done them up beautifully in the paint booth as well.
Paul

"Did I mention this is a bad idea?"

Junior

Fantastic work! What will the footprint of this shop be? The paper used for Tyvek/Dupont waterproof envelopes works great for belts. Very strong and great texture as well if your´e looking for the old leather belt style.

Anders  ;D

finescalerr

Chuck Doan

Those look great Barney!

I used Mylar for belts in my O scale shop. They have lasted 20 plus years.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Barney

Chuck
whats Mylar - No one knows what it is in England - can I use it on my Cheese and onion rolls ?
Thanks
Barney

Gordon Ferguson

You could .............. maybe a bit chewy

Think most modern draughting film is made of this, and I may have some, will try to find it
Gordon

Chuck Doan

Gordon is correct, drafting film. We used to do all our hand inking on it. Heat it up before eating though!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Barney

Thanks Chuck for the answers I will pass the info' onto the other Englanders - I forgot to ask Gordon but he is from Scotland !
Barney

Barney

Anders
Originally I was going to have a narrow gauge track running through the workshop but as you do a change of plan was put into action - by putting the track on the side of the workshop it gave me a bit more room for the machines and also gave me the opportunity to make the building a bit smaller if you get the meaning of making it bigger but smaller !!! - I think in the larger scales especially with buildings care should be taken not to go down the "Dolls House" road - so I intend to keep the buildings to lean-to type shacks and garage size type of thing and take a page or two from the Mr Ackles book of excellent buildings which also have "an atmosphere" about them - enclosed some photos of some of my thoughts so far -I think the footprint of the workshop will be about 10 inch x 6 inch. (can not understand all this mm stuff)
Barney.

Ray Dunakin

I like that rusty green, corrugated building! Definitely an interesting prototype.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World