• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 Paper Structure Vignette

Started by marc_reusser, May 23, 2011, 04:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Gordon...it is those same issues I was waffling with.  :)

Yes, it was intended as both a visual stop,  and to pull over the debris idea from the left. I know the tire on the roof routine has been done over and over, mioriginal thought had been to have an accumulation of silt and small detritus around it...then do weeds on the interior...but as the leaf thing came along on the left, the new intent was to place the tire in an accumulation of leaves....and maybe a McDonalds cup, or discarded Vodka bottle.

The real workshops had some old barrel roof tiles and loose bricks laying around....I could do this...but it isn't quite clicking....or my other thought was to make a simple cinder bloch, and just have that sitting in the leaves. (was also thinking of doing a cinder block to hold the door shut at the bottom.)
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

Iain...that is part of what is bothering me as well.

Worst case, I know a guy in France I can ship the tire to. :)

M-Works

Malachi Constant

Well, here's a thought ... you did the modern bucket to justify the aging on the structure ... and that works nicely ...

What ends up on garage roofs?  Frisbees, dammit!  8)  (Not to mention kites, model airplanes and so forth) ...

Of course, this may be over your head (so to speak) ... I don't think Verlinden makes a Frisbee.  ;D  :P
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

danpickard

Marc,
The time marking with the bucket is good for explaining the rest of the buildings age.  And as Dallas suggested, once you pull back from the shot, the bucket then isn't such a big focus.  As more little micro scenes come into play, I'm sure we'll all lose interest in the bucket :)
Tyre on the roof...not sure.  Yup, bit cliche.  Not finished yet, I know, but something feels wrong to me, and I think its the combo of multiple round features (manhole, bucket, and now tyre).  I know groups of three are good, but something doesn't feel right about it.  Wondering if something like a collection of pipes would be better?  A selection of sizes, lengths and age, and a good collection point for more of those leaves.  I reckon it also needs a discarded cigarette packed and some butts collected in the damp corner.

Dan

lab-dad

How about a used condom?
Nevermind,....thats round too.

danpickard

Marc...best leave the tyre there ;D

Dan

jim s-w

I've often seen shoes or trainers discarded is such a place.  Usually only one.  Result of a practical joke I guess?

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

Wesleybeks

Perhaps an old cardboard box on the roof. Or some left overs scraps from the tar paper roofing guys.

I love the cinder block as a door stop idea.
Kind Regards
Wesley

Modelling in sunny South Africa

mabloodhound

Excellent!   I just don't see the real problem with the bucket but understand the comments.   It does do the job you intended.
The tire on the roof, not so much.   I never understood those models with tires on the roof.   And that tire has too much good tread left on it to be a junk tire.
8)
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

finescalerr

Nice roof.

Why not cut a round skylight in it and use the tire as trim?

Russ

nk

look at how you handled the compositional placement of the manhole, now tell me why the tyre doesn't work...
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

lab-dad

Have any of you ever tried to actually "throw" a
tire 8 or 10 feet in the air onto a roof?
And why would you?
Its a silly thing, sorry but just my opinion.
Mj

Arno Boudoiron

I already put tires on a real roof, but on a tin roof, to make it heavier against the wind! It was a hen house... hey I'm a country guy!  ;D

Chuck Doan

I have seen a lot of rural buildings with tire hold downs.  It stands out on our models since the roof is so prominent unlike when we look up at it in real life.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

marc_reusser

Here's a nice F-U to wake up to......just knew my luck couldn't hold out.

Before going to bed, decided to add the first layer of leaves and dirt to the roof. Used some Gravel & Sand fixer to hold everything in place, and some Turp, to try and ease any gard edges, or glossiness that often occurs......woke up today to find that all the coloring where it had been applied had washed-out. Granted, it w...as my fault, because I spaced out on sealing the roof with Dullcoat first, and I was pretty much working enamel over enamel.

After staring at it for a while, I felt the back area actually could work better than my original finish....especially if I can figure out how to eas, soften those hard edges on the reamining dark grey areas.....but those light spots on the front ....those are really troubling, especially since this piece does not seem to be washing out in the same manner (IE underlying/remaining pattern and color, as the back pieces). ARGHHHHHH!

Thanks to some reassuring comments and suggestions from Rick and Chuck, and though it took all day, and a few spots still damp, I think I will call it fixed and good enough....though it could use a paper McDonalds cup in the left corner leaves. Decided also not to do any gutter pieces...just the old hangers.

M-Works