• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 Paper Structure Vignette

Started by marc_reusser, May 23, 2011, 04:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

Excellent "dry run". I like the coloration, discoloration, and moss. I like the slight variation in surface texture. I don't like the warped corner bricks near the top (which won't be a problem when you do the wall for real) or the apparent lack of mortar at the inside corner. It makes me think you miscalculated a little when positioning the bricks on this mockup. That won't be a problem on the next version, either. Altogether I would consider this experiment very successful. No way would I have guessed from the photos of the painted bricks that I was looking at anything but, uh, bricks. -- Russ

mad gerald

Quote from: marc_reusser on June 12, 2011, 12:35:28 AM
Gerald; Thanks for that SBS. those punched bricks work quite well, and give a good result.

... thx, was fun/a pleasure ...  ;)

Quote from: marc_reusser on June 12, 2011, 12:35:28 AM
1. Base color of Vallejo acrylic, painting surfaces and in cracks between.
4.  Randomly dry brush/dab Tamiya and Vallejo colors onto the individual bricks.

... Marc, would you mind naming the Vallejo/Tamiya colours, as I'd going to see if I can find similar colours among my supermarket acrylic cheapos ... ::) ... apart from dabbling with the idea to buy some, because they seem to give a better result ... just in case of eventually repeating this experiment too ...

Malachi Constant

"Wow" on the results ... and thanks for the run-down on the approach.   Helluva warm-up!  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

marc_reusser

Gerald,

Base color before varnish was a mix of Tamiya XF-10 (Flat  Brown) and XF-3 (Yellow).

Dry brushing and dabbing after grouting was done with:

Tamiya XF-10,  XF-64 (Red Brown), XF-69 (NATO Black)

Vallejo (Panzer Aces)  #310 (Old Wood), #301 (Light Rust),  #302 (Dark Rust)

......other colors that could be used or incorporated: Vallejo # 310 (Leather Belt), Tamiya XF-9 (Hull Red).....I just happened to be out of them at the moment.

Marc

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Junior

Excellent colors Marc. I´ll guess the only limit with this material is if you want to break a brick but you will probably get away with that as well.

Anders  ;D

chester

Thanks for the color choice used Marc. Exceptional look you achieved!

marc_reusser

Thanks guys.

Anders; I am working on more broken and chipped bricks, as well as odd construction, on the final (though I will likely catch Nicks ire for doing so  ;D).  I am also considering attempting to cast some full bricks out of paper...so I can create a pile (or a least a couple of loose ones) and some broken pieces.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

shropshire lad

Quote from: marc_reusser on June 13, 2011, 08:52:55 PM
Thanks guys.

Anders; I am working on more broken and chipped bricks, as well as odd construction, on the final (though I will likely catch Nicks ire for doing so  ;D).  I am also considering attempting to cast some full bricks out of paper...so I can create a pile (or a least a couple of loose ones) and some broken pieces.

Marc

Don't worry , Marc , I am used to you doing things the hard way . I must say though , you have got the colour of the bricks on you're test piece down to a tee . I have bricks in my house virtually identical in colour . So you are doing some things right ! Te ,he .

If you ask nicely I might post a picture of the brick piers I'm building using scale bricks made out of , would you believe it , brick .

Nick

finescalerr

Nick, you ol' rascal, if you want to impress us you will have to modify your (rather splendid) house with 1:1 paper bricks. Now go stand in the corner for old time's sake. -- ssuR

TRAINS1941

Marc

That is some excellent coloring.  That is about as close to the real thing as I've seen.  Like Russ said if you didn't know it would have to be the real thing.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

nk

The colours and texture of the bricks are spot on as is the moss and dark discolouration at the base of the building. One thing I have noticed around Boston is that the half-bricks occur on every fifth row. I don't know if this is regional or not. I am looking forward to seeing the final product now that you have done a dry run.
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

Chuck Doan

Nice work, Gerald. Marc, those are quite amazing. Super coloring and texture. Lessons to be learned here!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Barney

To all you brick crack counters (its the same as the rivet counter brigade) are your brick corners correct and your gaps straight ? photos enclosed that give you permission to do what you want under the modellers artistic licence act
Barney

Barney

Pic 2