• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 Paper Structure Vignette

Started by marc_reusser, May 23, 2011, 04:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRAINS1941

Marc

Great info.  And some dam nice work.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

finescalerr

marc_reusser

Working on this thing takes FOREVER....its like watching grass grow!

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Wesleybeks

Mark that just simply blows my mind. The textures and colours look so realistic.
Kind Regards
Wesley

Modelling in sunny South Africa

Mr Potato Head

Marc
I had some time and coffee and reread your SBS and now I too can read English.
I totally understand the paper tissue backer. I now see with your latest picture the acid wash effect, very nice. It gave me this idea : what about for texture placing the tissue on the front side and when the plaster was still green embossing it in and it would give the surface booth texture and tooth? I am going to try it, thanks you've given me the tools.
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

JohnTolcher

The stains and colours of the concrete really show up nicely in this latest image, looks exactly like the real thing IMO. Brilliant!

Cheers
JT
Cheers
John in Australia

Chuck Doan

Very interesting process and an excellent result.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

A couple of days ago I was kidding you about using paper instead of plaster for the sidewalk. I really don't think it would be feasible to get that kind of result from paper no matter what you do. In fact the sidewalk now looks more real than the bricks. -- Russ

marc_reusser

Thanks guys for the kind comments and interest.

Gil,
Not sure what you are suggesting would work...if you are planning on just pressing the tissue paper in, and then lifting it back off, I dont think that will give you any good texture as the paper is pretty smooth (might get a spalling look where the paper and plaster bond, and you lift off some of the plaster surface).....also if the paper starts to fall apart from moisture, it could leave tissue fibers in/on the plaster, that could haunt you later. Something like a sandpaper will give you a better embossing texture...but it als has a greater possibility/risk of lifting the surface (maybe to a positive result) when you lift the sandpaper back off.

If you were planning on embossing/pressing it in an leaving it as the finished surface, that definitely won't work, as the tissue paper on top will not allow the cracks to be seen, and when it comes to coloring or staining, tissue paper is a horrible medium, and does not take staining well, so I dont feel you would get good coloring.

M-Works

mad gerald

Marc,

I second what the other chaps said ... but I also have a question:

Comparing these two pics below it appears to me, as if you treated the "concrete" with another layer of a yellowish colour or wash ... am I right? And if so: what did you do/use? Or is it just caused by a different light arrangement ... or white balance? Sorry, if I overread it somewhere in your SBS/building report ...

Quote from: marc_reusser on June 30, 2013, 01:56:48 AM

Quote from: marc_reusser on July 03, 2013, 04:36:17 AM

Cheers

marc_reusser

Gerald,

The  top color does have a slight bluish tint, but yes,......in the second photo, I had done some of the initial greenish and brownish shading washes along the walls, and some of the larger cracks, or where lichen/moss/algae would begin to show, or discolor the surface,due to dampness. I used some acrylic color washes for this. (You didn't miss it, as I didn't post it, as it is part of the upcoming AK article on moss/lichen).

M-Works

marc_reusser

Just more of the same...except that today is 'Giant Penny Day'...and I am finally done with the first round of weeds in the concrete, and can now move on to the first round of stuff on the walls....yay.

M-Works

Andi Little

Excellent progress as ever Marc' ............... it looks to be coming together very nicely. I honestly think that now with this level of modelling excellence one has introduced, wittingly or not? A further element into the arena - a non the less tangible element but one that is far more esoteric ... and that is time.
It's been said often that these dio's are snap shots in time - but now, with this and Chucks "Store" scene, it is being modelled, physically!
If you only start to consider the season the scene is placed in that's a current platitude, but it's taking on so much more an aire of portent - even now I'm weighed heavy with the setting of the scene: awaiting the story to unfold.

Sounds pretentious? Not so much ...............I really do think these little scenes are now realising their true pathos as "snapshots in time".
KBO..................... Andi.

finescalerr

I am anxious to see what magic you weave with the brick finish.

This little diorama is so elegantly simple and simply elegant.

Russ

SandiaPaul

Marc,

This is just superb. I can't add anything more.

Paul
Paul