• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 Paper Structure Vignette

Started by marc_reusser, May 23, 2011, 04:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Potato Head

OK then ::)
I'll wait for the finished product,.......................
yes bring it to the convention, i'd like to see it
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

marc_reusser

Boy, trying to keep pace with Alex is a job in itself.

Slow going, still working on "the back forty"....but at least I have finished a bucket I can cross off my list.

Bucket interior was made by adding a disk 3/4 of the way up, and sloping it to counter the bucket/ground-plane angle. This was painted with a greenish gray color; when dry, leaf debris was added.

AK "Engine Grease" mixed with "Wet Effects" was added in layers, with a brush, until enough of the "leaves" were covered/below the surface,to create the look/effect I was after.

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

jim s-w

Really enjoying this build.  You mentioned earlier you will probably bin it when it's done, I hope you have changed your mind?

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

marc_reusser

Thanks Jim.

No, I won't bin it. I plan to save it in case I need parts, or as a test piece for a future build/finishes.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

Ground cover looks splendid, nice colouring and variety of textures.

Not for me your realise, but think somebody else will be interested in the source of that "modern" plastic bucket .... Or did you make it yourself
Gordon

Alexandre

Quote from: gfadvance on July 10, 2013, 03:56:05 AM

Not for me your realise, but think somebody else will be interested in the source of that "modern" plastic bucket .... Or did you make it yourself

I don't know what you mean  ;D

Splendid work Marc indeed. It looks fabulous in this close-up, from the brick to the ground cover to the bucket. I love this bucket.
These white and yellow lichens on the stone look fabulous too.

pwranta193

Wandering in here... Some really excellent work across the different mediums, Marc.  I love the lichen effect on the rock, and the creep of the moss/mildew.  The one thing I would suggest is going one gauge smaller on the bucket's wire handle (if possible) - it looks just a little bit clunky?

Love the knackered ironwork... But I agree that the door is wanting some love - not sure what, as I think the blue finish is solid looking, but the little final jump outs are still waiting.  Great little study.

Paul
Paul

"Did I mention this is a bad idea?"

Mr Potato Head

Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

finescalerr

Looks terrific overall. As good as anything I've seen on this forum.

Here is a really tiny observation: To my eye the cardboard bricks don't quite measure up to the other materials. Not the finish or the weathering but the material itself. In that magnified close-up you can see how some corners have a raised ridge thus making the adjacent part of the brick look sort of concave. Possibly the overall texture is a little smooth (although I have seen brick of almost any texture so maybe that doesn't count).

I can say this because I know the brick is paper. If I didn't know I might never have noticed the imperfection. Also, there's been a lot of stuff here recently about bricks from other materials (but also in larger scales) so I suppose the constant comparison has made me hypercritical.

I'm curious about your take on it.

Russ

1-32

hi all
russ because you know it is paper makes the difference.
i think it is a terrific exercise in weathering.
kind regards kim

mad gerald

Quote from: finescalerr on July 10, 2013, 11:56:55 AM
... Here is a really tiny observation: To my eye the cardboard bricks don't quite measure up to the other materials. Not the finish or the weathering but the material itself. In that magnified close-up you can see how some corners have a raised ridge thus making the adjacent part of the brick look sort of concave. Possibly the overall texture is a little smooth (although I have seen brick of almost any texture so maybe that doesn't count).

... that's exactly what I tried to say here ...

Quote from: mad gerald on June 05, 2013, 01:26:30 AM
Quote from: marc_reusser on June 05, 2013, 12:00:04 AM
...and the requested macro. :)
... thanks ... even the (paper) surface structure looks convincing (like bricks) ...  :o ... my only nitpick could be (if it's not to blame on my aging eyes), that some cornerstones seem to have a tiny, almost invisible notch ... as they seem not having bent around the corner, but eventually constist of 2 pieces glued together?

...even "notch" might not have been the exact matching term, but I meant the position, where the chip board has been bent to fit 'round the corner ... but Marc promised, this "... will/should not be visible in the final piece ..."

Nevertheless an outstanding piece of modelling and weathering ... and already one of my favourites ... !

Cheers

BKLN

The moss / lichen is really nice! It adds such wonderful depth to the whole thing.

Chuck Doan

Only a modeler would have "build a bucket" on their bucket list.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

chester

Wonderful work Marc. I too think the wire handle is a bit beefy though. Love the ground cover and algea green.

nk

This is looking pretty bloody good Marc. I really like your method of controlling the cracking of the plaster. Its something I will try myself. I think the groundcover looks spot on as does the bucket, except the slightly overscale wire handle...before you change it I like the think that some things look right to the eye and its only in a photo that something like pops out (at least that's what I tell myself when I see a photo and my gut looks overscale!)
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/