• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 Paper Structure Vignette

Started by marc_reusser, May 23, 2011, 04:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

artizen

Really nice!

So what is sand and gravel fixer? Is it a glue for sticking down leaves and stuff?
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

finescalerr

The first try turned out better than you thought. The "save" really worked. You may want to nitpick yourself but in reality there's nothing to criticize. -- Russ

marc_reusser

Thanks Ian.

Yes, it is some sort of clear enamel based solution from AK-Interactive.

Plus side of it, I that it seems to have zero surface tension issues, and wicks well.

Downside, is that it can tend to leave a ring if used on smoother surfaces (such as armor, or on my roof)...and in doing so, cam leave shiny areas.......some of which dissapear in a day or so, but some seem to stay.

I have started messing with mixing the enamel based fixer with Dullcoat (lacquer based) in a 50/50 ratio, and then mixing this 50/50 with Mr Color thinner (similar to the Tamiya yellow cap lacquer thinner).......then applying this with a fine brush. I used this miz on the concrete slab areas of my scene to fixdirt and weeds in the cracks and joints, and it drieddead flat, and left no marks or discoloration or stains on any of the surrounding areas, neither the concrete nor the manhole/grate covers.

Don't ask me about the chemistry of this...I don't even know if it is supposed to work......I was just trying to come up with a quick fix for the shine and ring issue. :)
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

Thanks Russ.
Problem is if I don't nitpick myself,  I won't know what to do with myself.  :)

M-Works

nk

Nice save Marc. That looks great now. So much better than before.

One tip that I have found for making foam coffee cups is to use the foam label on Gerolsteiner mineral water. because it is thin foam it cracks in just the right way for crushed scale coffee cups. Another thought for your coffee cup is to do something local to the scene rather than the ubiquitous MacDonalds...for example in Boston Dunkin Donuts is much more common than anything else, and in South Boston there is a v. popular place called Doughboy which all the long-time locals/cops/tradesmen go to, so the choice of labelled trash in a diorama can be a reflection of a very specific demographic. Just a thought

You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

Chuck Doan

I think it's a whole lot better now. Super job on the leaves!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Franck Tavernier

Stunning job Marc, as usual!  ;)

Where does the tire come from? Verlinden?

Franck

Ray Dunakin

I think the discoloration is one of those "disasters" that can be used to advantage with a little extra effort, which is what you've done quite nicely.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

Thanks guys.

Narayan,

Funny you should mention Dunkin Donuts and Boston....the construction crew there leaves the darn cups all over the project site.....so last month when I did a site visit, I asked them where the Dunkin Donuts shop was, and they all looked at me like I was from anpther planet....till one realized what I was asking and said "Oh...you mean  'Dunkies' "......they did forgive me for the error of my ways, putting off to me being from "Cali", as they seem to think its called. (Guess ineed to go find my old Tone-Loc cassette) ;D ;D

I absolitely agree with your reasoning. In this case however the reason for the McDonalds cup was actually not arbitrary, or because it was an easy out...I chose it, because it actually doesn't define geographic location.....I have seen and beenin McDonalds all over the world (in Argentina, for instance, it was the only place you could get change for the large bills the atm machines gave you; and in Paris, it was the only place you could get a cup of coffee and something to "eat" at 6 or 7 am, .....I could go on  ;D...) secondly, a client/friend of ours is heavily in with McDonalds....so sort of a poke in good humor, and thirdly there was actually McDonalds trash at this place in Berlin...granted it was a bag....never the less :) .....there were also Curry Wurst wrappers....but again, I am trying to do the scene to have a feel/touches of, familiarity for a wider range of people.

Thanks for the styro cup trick tip, will definitely have to give that a try.

Frank, the tire was a piece that Gordon cast and fabricated.

M-Works

marc_reusser

Thanks Ray...it was a bit nerving to fix...but I think it worked out okay in the end.

M-Works

pwranta193

Nicely done on the roof... while I know it wasn't what you were looking for, I have to echo Russ and say that your first go wasn't anything I would have called out as an oops.  We have so many different stains and splotches on our surfaces around here that something like that would have been considered tidy.  That being said, the final result is pretty darn sporty.  The plank and leaf set up is top drawer.

Micky Dees... Yep - pretty much ubiquitous.  I've seen bags and cups strewn from Bangkok, and eddying up in the dust dunes in Kuwait  ;D

Getting to be about that time to step back from the project?
Paul

"Did I mention this is a bad idea?"

Malachi Constant

Well, now that you've had a "happy accident" ... all you need is a pet squirrel and some curly hair to be a "true" artist!  ;D

PS -- I didn't prod nk to suggest the foam cup ... but since he did ... nudge, nudge ... -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

BKLN

Marc,
if you are going for a Berlin Hinterhof / Werkstatt feel, you clearly hit it spot on! I can just smell the tar from the roofing, the musty wood and the wet brick by looking at this diorama.
As far as trash goes, I would think that the most likely thing to find would be empty beer cans or bottles, hidden beneath the leaves.

marc_reusser

Thanks Paul, Dallas, & Christian,

Had to cram some time in today to get the doors moving (still a a couple of details missing)....they aren't great...and the conc block is definitely lacking,..it's all unraveling on me......but, between me wanting to bin it right now, and the fact that time has run it's course, it will all have to do.

Still have the moss and leaves to add, then it will be called done.

M-Works

finescalerr

Suggestions:

1. Replace figure with Mr. Mudgeon

2. Take a couple of days off and look at it again. It's way cool. By then you may realize that.

3. Then trash it.

Russ