• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Reference material for old engines?

Started by Ray Dunakin, May 27, 2011, 09:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Can anyone recommend a good source for plans, drawings, and/or photos of old automobile engines? Or truck/tractor engines?

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Mobilgas

Ray,   I have found lot's of old car engine pictures and old stuff your looking for on E-bay  ;)
Craig

Malachi Constant

Ray --

There are a bunch of engine drawings in the google book that you posted the other day:

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on May 27, 2011, 09:10:37 PM
Here's another one that may be of use to those modeling early autos:

http://books.google.com/books?id=_xZWAAAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=automobile+engines&hl=en&ei=p3TgTaT3FoTTiAKOzMW8Bg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CFQQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Go to page 101 (end of section) and page down from there (because they start page numbers over again in the new section and that screws up the google page count) ...

There are quite a few cross sections and various elevations of engines in there ...

EDIT:  When viewing that specific book on Google, it's a bit of a mess ... because each "section" of the book starts with a new Page 1 ... so it's hard to go to a specific page easily.

If you saved a copy to your computer, open THAT with Adobe ... the section on engines starts on Page 134 (of the pdf file) and you can navigate there by typing that number in at the top ... the first overall engine drawing is on Page 135 ... then there are a bunch of internal components ... and you'll find a series of drawings showing the overall view of several engine types starting on Page 163 (of the actual pdf file)

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

chester

Do you have a specific engine in mind Ray? I have a lot of engine photos from old flat heads to newer diesels.

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: chester on May 30, 2011, 01:39:33 PM
Do you have a specific engine in mind Ray? I have a lot of engine photos from old flat heads to newer diesels.

Not at the moment, but there are some projects I plan to do eventually that will need engines, and I'd rather not be restricted to whatever I can obtain from the limited selection of plastic car kits available. (Not to mention the cost factor of buying a kit just for the engine.)

And if I need a tractor engine it gets even trickier due to the total absence of kits.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

lab-dad

I think (depending on scale) you can use some modeler's license and scratch build them.
As long as it looks right not too many people will call you to task (even here). fairly basic shapes
Keeping the overall proportions is what will make it feel correct.
When you look at early engines they are fairly basic shapes.
Like this;

-Marty

TRAINS1941

-MJ

Looks like a fine example of rust to me!!!

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Carlo

Marty -
This little rusty engine is just what I'm looking for. I am starting a new 1:12 model critter, freelanced, but somewhat like the one shown below. Are there other pics of this engine? Others like it? How about a few major dimensions? I think I can cobble together some wood, plastic, and wire pieces to approximate this one.

Chester - re: our off-line conversation,
I think maybe a Ford flathead V8 might be overkill here. Something like this small simple one is more what I need.

Regards,
Carlo

Gordon Ferguson

Carlo,

I have an ongoing 7/8ths scale 20 HP Hudson Hunslet on the bench, the photos here may be of interest to you

http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee275/gfadvance/20%20HP%20Hudson%20Hunslet/

Here is my first attempt at modelling this engine

Gordon

finescalerr

lab-dad

Carlo,
A few more pictures can be found in the Winter 2009 Modeler's Annual.
if you dont have that issue i might be able to scrounge up some dimensions.
Basically I just went with what seemed right based on other items of known size.
FWIW the "cylinders" are 1/2 tube.
The block and head are blocks of ABS
-Marty

Carlo

Gordon -
Thanks a lot! This is just the encouragement I need.
What do you mean... "My first try.."?  Did you make a 2nd? If so, it must be even more outstanding, and you could just give me this old one...  :D
Wasn't there a SBS thread on this somewhere?
Carlo

Gordon Ferguson

Hi Carlo, its on the 7/8ths forum! .... when I say first try I mean I have modified since these in progress shots were taken.

The all the pipe work has now been redone, the name  Aisa Craig (engine manufacturer) has been redone on cylinder head  and is now readable and a few other bits sorted ............ lettering used is similar to this ....... which is also for this model 
Gordon

chester

Marty, sweet little engine.
Gordon, beautiful work as always, hope to see the finished piece.
Carlo, sorry, forgot what scale you were working in.

Give Google Patents a try and just type in the item you're looking for.
http://www.google.com/patents?q=engi...atents&rview=1

Chuck Doan

Nice stuff Gordon! And of course Marty's neat engine.

I will look through some of this, I might be looking for and early twenties Dodge truck engine.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/