• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Rivet transfers

Started by DaKra, June 14, 2011, 12:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaKra

Saw these in the MM catalog that arrived yesterday.  At the price its worth getting some to try. 

http://www.micromark.com/HO-Scale-Surface-Detail-Rivet-Decals,9968.html

Believe these are thermoprinted, the same way better quality business cards are made with raised plastic lettering.   

Dave

eTraxx

Dave. I have purchased the Archer transfers. I can remember being 'shocked' at how small the single decal sheet was. These are quite large .. and there are two sheets per.

Here I managed to get a little bit of '3d effect' in this photo. This is two of the O scale rivet sheets ..

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

DaKra

Yeah the MM sheets are big, assuming the quality is good, it looks like a good deal to me.  Plenty of rivets to practice and experiment with.     

How did the Archer rivets work for you?

Dave

Ray Dunakin

Are those hemispherical, or even close to it? In the photos it doesn't look like they stand out very much.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

eTraxx

Ray, nope .. neither the Archer or these are true hemispherical. They do protrude a bit from the surface though.

Here's the Archer decals applied w/primer coat. Methinks they look pretty good. Ha. When I first looked at this photo I was like .. *meh* .. the .010" styrene melted and .. 'Oh Darn' .. but then decided that it was simply great modeling .. showing old damage on the critter's cab. :)

Ed Traxler

JohnP

I saw those and thought to try them. My rivet embosser tool is good for strips and rivets at a panel edge but sometimes I need to have them in the middle of a panel. Now that I see the Ed's photos I will order.
Thanks guys!
John
John Palecki

marc_reusser

MM doesn't really show a lot in the photo so I cant really tell, but it seems like the MM ones offer far less variety in spacing and off-set than is available from Archer. Also MM notes they are HO scale.....Archer offers multiple scales, and special purpose rivet layouts/patterns.

http://www.archertransfers.com/SurfaceDetailsMain.html

BTW...not all rivets are true half round or conical (despite what Grandt Line and Tichy wants you to think)...sheet metal rivets can be far less round to almost flat.....some rivets are also countersunk or partially embedded.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

chester

I've been meaning to try these for a long time. Rivets are always a problem in 1/87 scale. To date, I have been using gel super glue and trying to control position and size at the same time with limited success (very limited) Marc is right of course, rivets are not always perfectly convex. Similar to the discussion, I always liked the look of the handmade carriage bolts on big old barn door strap hinges, never one perfectly round.

mabloodhound

Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

eTraxx

Quote from: mabloodhound on June 15, 2011, 04:57:18 PM
MM also has 'O' scale rivet decals. http://www.micromark.com/O-Scale-Surface-Detail-Rivet-Decals,9967.html

If you look at the top right edge of the 1st photo I posted .. it says "O sca......."
Ed Traxler

NGPhil

I've been meaning to get this posted but haven't had a chance until now.  Not all rivet transfers are made equal!  I've been using Archer transfers for a while and love them.  The variety of sizes etc. available are excellent.  The Archer transfers have a much nicer three dimensional quality to them compared to the MM ones. 

Take a look at the following high resolution scan of the MM product.  This hasn't been altered in any way and the product was straight from the package.  What is decieving about showing far away shots of the MM product is that there are massive variations in the resin vs the printed (black) details.  You can somewhat see this on the image that eTraxx posted.  Basically, the black printed lines/dots are nice and clean but the resin is a mess.  When you prime/paint your model w/ the MM details, this is a huge problem as the rivets are only half there half the time.

I'm guessing MM just started making these and haven't got the technology working 100% correctly yet and the resin is distorting after it's laid down.  Hope this helps someone who is looking at both trying to decide.

Phil Light

chester

I see what you mean Phil. Thanks for showing that, looks like I'll be buying the Archer brand.