• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Museum Diorama Exhibition

Started by nk, June 14, 2011, 12:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nk

Currently there is an exhibition of dioramas at the Museum of Art and Design in NYC. The quality of the models looks amazing.

Here is a link to the exhibition

DIORAMA EXHIBITION

And a review from the New York Times

NYT REVIEW
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

shropshire lad

Interesting stuff . Just the sort of exhibition that should be displaying Chuck's latest creation .

Nick

finescalerr

A few of the entries are worthy of this forum. -- Russ

k27rgs

Alan's work always stands out.   
Some interesting concepts thru out.   
Wish I had time to explore the web 24/7 and seek out more, but then I wouldn't get anything done. >:(

Mario

marc_reusser

Thanks for posting this.

My wife had torn out an article about this exhibit for me, and asked if I wanted to see it...but all they talked about was Alan Wolfson....who for some reason does not overly move/impress me....but seeing that there are works like those by Oliver Boberg, Frank Kunert, Didier Massard and Paolo Ventura, would make the trip worthwhile.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

BKLN

I had at least 15 people email me links to this show. And everybody is telling me "your stuff should be in there" bla bla bla. I have really mixed feelings about this. Because it has a lot to do with how we define our work. The level of craftsmanship in this forum is far higher than any of the work in the show, BUT "they" define themselves as artists and that's what makes the difference.
Don't get me wrong, a lot of their work is very inspiring, but I have hard time with these definitions. When does a model railroader become an artisan, when does an artisan become an artist?

finescalerr

Getting to exhibit in an art show requires "walking the walk and talking the talk". In other words, it's BS. Being a genuine artist requires talent and skill and has nothing to do with shows or labels or popularity or acceptance among the "in crowd". Many of you on this forum are true artists in every sense of the word and several have created scenes that would embarrass most entries at an "art show".

Always remember to separate human politics and social pecking orders from creativity and artistry. One has nothing to do with the other.

Russ

chester

I can only say what I see on the local scene and that is that it's not so much what you do or how well you do it but who you know.

DaKra

I'm pleased to see models/miniatures are now considered a potential art form.    Even if the label "art" has lost a lot of meaning over the years, its good that a wider audience is willing to accept and appreciate what we do. 

Dave

nk

I just went to the show, and I can tell you that it is really worth a look...lots of great stuff and great ideas all portrayed in miniature. Its wonderful seeing so many people using this medium to achieve so many different effects. If you do go, make sure not to get hung up on technical aspects of modelling...that is not what it's about.
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

marc_reusser

I have to agree with Narayan.  I saw the show this morning, and found it well worth the time and admission. The show is not about the nminiatures...it is about perceptions of the world we see, feel and remember. It is not about model building. The miniatures are only a means to an end, many were built solely for the specific purpose of creating a photograph, or scene to be viewed from a viewpoint. The scenes are meant to tell a story...one that is different for each viewer.  Some of the models/exhibits were incredible, others were (to me at least) fairly uninspiring or unsucessfull......(though obviously the artist felt differently).

One caused my wife and I to get a good 5 minutes of laughing because it was so fun to watch; several Others incredible constructions that just amazed and made one wonder how it was done, while others yet were conceptually unique, created wonderment, and presented in very creative, original twists on objects we are all familiar with. I actually have to say that though well executed,a nd great attention to details, Alan Wolfsons was not really "creative" compared to most of the others.

Anyhow...if in NYC, walk over to Columbus Circle and check it out. Thursday afternoons till 9-pm are free...otherwise I think it's $22 per person.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

BKLN

I finally went to the show and I was very impressed. There is a huge variety of approaches and concepts, good and not so good craftsmanship. But the amazing thing is that even the sometimes "not so impressive" craftsmanship doesn't matter because the results are just really amazing. There are so many pieces that carry you into these creepy dreamlike worlds.

Definitely worth seeing.