• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

First renderings from new 3D CAD software & new computer...

Started by W.P. Rayner, July 04, 2011, 09:20:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W.P. Rayner

Been busy the past two weeks setting up my new computer, installing and configuring new CAD software. Had to stop using the old computer and Cobalt as it wouldn't handle the load anymore. It was taking just over 30 minutes to load some of my more complex drawings so it was obviously time for a change. And I did something I thought I'd never do... I moved from MAC to PC... :o, replacing the old Ti Powerbook with a 21.5" widescreen hi-def 64-bit desktop, much easier on my aging eyes, running Windows 7. I found that Windows 7 is the closest MS product yet to approach the intuitive elegance of the MAC operating system and it's the first MS operating system that I've ever found to be a pleasure to use. I also didn't have much choice because the 3D CAD apps I wanted to use are PC only. I could have run them via. Parallels on MAC but that seemed to be too awkward, might just as well go with a PC. I switched from Ashlar Vellum Cobalt to a 2012 Autodesk suite including AutoCAD, 3ds Max and Inventor Pro. The rendering below was created in Inventor, Autodesk's 3D CAD and digital prototyping app. Fortunately Inventor is able to import and convert my old Cobalt drawings with full editing abilities though it did take some time to figure out the best file formats and process to accomplish that. Presently clawing my way up a steep learning curve with the new apps but am making some progress.

Paul

mad gerald

Quote from: W. P. Rayner on July 04, 2011, 09:20:36 AM
... I switched ... to a 2012 Autodesk suite including Autocad, 3DS Max and Inventor Pro ...

... congrats, Paul ... I installed Autocad Inventor Professional Suite 2011 myself about 2 weeks ago ...

Quote from: W. P. Rayner on July 04, 2011, 09:20:36 AM
... Presently clawing my way up a steep learning curve with the new apps but am making some progress ...

... now making very little progress as completely new to CAD ...  :-[ ... but supported by Frithjof from time to time ...

Kind regards

finescalerr

Beautiful first effort. It can take a lot of time getting up to speed on both new programs and a new platform. -- Russ

marc_reusser

Sweet! They renderings look just as good as your Cobalt ones did. (Oh..and welcome the world of real computers..instead of an entertainment device. ;) :P :-X )

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

W.P. Rayner

Thanks guys... hang in there Gerald. You've certainly picked an excellent application for your first 3D CAD experience. Don't get discouraged, the end results will be worth the effort. I've been doing 3D CAD work for six years and the change to Inventor has been a little frustrating at times. The principles of course are essentially the same between my old much simpler application and the new, but the process is quite a bit different. Inventor is a much more complex and powerful application offering virtually limitless functions and creative opportunities. The challenge is in finding the process within the application that accomplishes what you need to do in as efficient a manner as possible, something that will only come through study and practice. You're right Russ, it can take some time to get up to speed on new applications but if you do it properly, it can be a continual and exciting learning adventure.

Marc: Yeah, I figured it was time to get serious about this 3D CAD business...  ;)

Paul

W.P. Rayner

Here's another one... this time a view of a complete Heywood Eaton Railway Freight Coupler...

Paul

Malachi Constant

I don't understand any of the stuff I'm reading here ... but I like what I see!  ;D  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

SandiaPaul

I have been using Inventor for about 6 years now, but have not done any rendering...I really need to spend some time learning it.

Nice work!

Paul
Paul

jacq01

Paul,

why built a model of the drawings?  your renderings are already art in itself.  ;D ;D ;D

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.