• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Micro-Mark Pro-Etch Photo Etch System (Export Version)

Started by DarBeck, July 18, 2011, 12:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarBeck

Hi all!
I'm thinking of buying a Micro-Mark Pro-Etch Photo Etch System (Export Version), but I need advice from you. Is this a good device. Is the quality of plates is sufficient. Do you have experience with this device.

respects

Darius Beck

JohnP

I bought one a few years ago in the US (it came with the chemicals). It has everything you need to make a small amount of etched parts.  it comes with a few small pieces of sheet metal, but you can use sheet brass from anywhere you find it.

A quality etch depends on the even distribution of the etchant on the metal. That is why they include the bubbler. It provides a mixing action to the etchant so the metal surface is presented with fresh acid constantly. However, the bubbles are not enough so it is best to keep the metal moving as well. A commercial etch machine uses spray heads that provide force to the acid to speed up the etch and evenly distribute it; it makes for a predictable process. With the bubbles, you will need to keep checking the etch progress.

Thinner metal works best with this kit. I found it hard to judge the exposure of the pattern on the resist using light bulbs, but as I recall it worked OK. It is easy to wrinkle things in the heat laminator press so be careful.

The biggest challenge is to line up the patterns of a two-sided etch. You can figure that out, maybe with a folded pattern, or use tiny drilled holes as fiducials.

I believe Micro-Mark should be commended for offering this set. It does work with attention from the user.

John

Please be careful with the chemicals! Sodium hydroxide can be dangerous.
John Palecki