• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Crawler 1/35 scale freelance design with a touch of the Holt about it!

Started by Gordon Ferguson, July 24, 2011, 01:48:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon Ferguson

Ken & Andi thanks :)

Completely beats me why Marc just won't let me slap some paint on and then a quick dry brush with some white paint ........... ah the good old days.

Anyway just to break the monotony of the "green machine"  I gave the tracks their first coat  .............. hoping that it will be a good base for using some of the Games Workshop metallics which I found in the cupboard last night before applying some rust stains and gunge, etc, etc, ..... depending how it goes there may be a lot more gunge than I originally planned.

A better shot of what it looks like, tried to improve the lighting this time

What these pictures show is how thick  20thou (thickness of the tracks) is when you blow the image up to this level ......... need to work on that for the next one

Gordon

PuckHog

Hi Gordon,

Would not have thought this kit would work in 1/35th but it looks terrific!

Randy

michael mott

Hi Gordon, the model looks great so far. what I am wondering is whether yo are going to pop the rivets into the holes in the tracks? In your close up picture it shows the two domed rivets which I am assuming (dangerous I know) that they are to hold components on the underside of the track.

Just asking.

Gordon Ferguson

Hi Michael,

no the plan is to leave the holes as I like the character it gives, they say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing therefore the Caterpillar officiandos will probably correct what I am going to say here.

Tracks were cast as one piece to include the underneath linkage , from the info I have the holes were to allow you to bolt on additional rubber shoes to improve grip or protect tarmac road surfaces. Guessing here but I think in some cases they just put bolts in without the additional shoes to stop either a) losing the bolts or b) to limit the amount of dirt/sand etc getting thro' in to the inside of the track with the subsequent increased wear.

If I could figure out how I would post a copy of the page from the PDF of the 2 ton manual which shows the different types of track and separate shoes that were available but I can't and the whole manual is 12.2 MB
Gordon

michael mott

That makes sense Gordon, do you have a link to the PDF and the appropriate page.

Michael

Malachi Constant

Quote from: gfadvance on July 30, 2011, 09:33:33 AM
If I could figure out how I would post a copy of the page from the PDF of the 2 ton manual which shows the different types of track and separate shoes that were available but I can't and the whole manual is 12.2 MB

If you're using a PC, open the page in question ... adjust the "zoom" or "view" on the pdf file to make a reasonable-size image ... or to make enough of the page visible on the screen, etc.

-- Hit the "Print Screen" button (which might say "PrtScr" or some other similar thing on diff. keyboards)

-- Open PC paint (it's already there on most PC's), click "Edit" tab and click "Paste" ... the screen image from the pdf file will appear.

-- Save that in "png" format for best resolution ... then you can select and edit just the section you want to post ... or send me the png file by email and tell me where to crop ...

(You may or may not be able to post png files here.  Those give the best resolution for working the image in PC Paint ... might have to save a copy as a jpg when done ... or send it to me, easier to do than explain sometimes!)  ;)

-- If you're using an Apple, there's some easier way where you can just select stuff on the screen and drag it somewhere to do what you want ... or so I've heard.  ;D

OOOH ... EASIEST version:
-- Open pdf file, go to page and adjust zoom/view so everything you want to share is visible on the screen
-- Hit the "Print Screen" key (or key w/ similar abbrev.)
-- Address an email to me ... hit "enter" a few times in the message area to create some lines.
-- RIGHT-CLICK on the first (empty) line and select PASTE ... the screen image will appear ... then click below the photo to get onto one of the other blank lines ... write a message about which part is needed and I'll crop.

PS -- Repeat as needed if there are multiple pages / images needed to convey the info ... more than happy to help a fellow 1/35 scale nut!  :P

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Mr Potato Head

I might be able to scan that page and post that picture? I have the actual catalog
MPH
Crawling along in Beautiful Idaho ;D
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Gordon Ferguson

Ok, thanks folks .............. think this may work
Gordon

Mr Potato Head

Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

michael mott

Gordon Ferguson

OK we have gone through number of stages now, bit of oil fading?, chipping, rust and wear stains and work on painting the tracks.

These were taken outside so the colours are just about spot on. bright but overcast day.

Going to spend a bit of time trying to refine what has already been done, then sort out the controls, gear stick and seat cushion.

By the way anybody heard from Marc, not seen or heard a thing since my last efforts in painting were posted ........... now getting a bit concerned  ;)
Gordon

finescalerr

The general blend of colors and subtlety of weathering are excellent. I assume you'll eventually tone down the whole thing since the green is still a little vivid. Overall, the model and the diorama it sits on are wonderful. The photos are good, too. A satisfactory effort thus far. -- Russ

Mr Potato Head

I think you need a greater definition of color between the body and the tracks, the base of the tracks needs to be a deeper base color and the tops of the tracks a lighter worn metal color
Good start!
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Gordon Ferguson

Russ,

that "satisfactory" has been printed off and pinned above the desk  :D

Gil,

not sure I completely understand your comment, I'm guessing you are talking about the difference between the inside of the track and the outside ?

Those shots were taken early today and as always the case with my modelling they showed me more faults to correct ............. since then I have done a bit of work to polish up the running side of the track, which does increase the contrast ............ waiting for some oil and grease wash which when applied to the inside of the tracks, along the individual links should also help.

These are very cruel  :'( closeups off where I am now

Pretty obviously I am going to have to give my paint station a good clean and be a lot more careful to keep crud off my painted models
Gordon

marc_reusser

QuoteBy the way anybody heard from Marc, not seen or heard a thing since my last efforts in painting were posted ........... now getting a bit concerned  

As you can see...your painting has caused me enough concern that I cannot focus properly during my other activities  ::) ;D ;D

I think the track color is fine. Most people tent to model them too rusty and dark. A tractor that has been driven/used in dirt will get its entire track surface polished out very fast. Then once it is parked, you will tend to first see a build-up of orange surface rust...which will, if the tractor remains unused, over time, deepen into the deeper darker rust tones.

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works