• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The Remora

Started by FichtenFoo, August 20, 2011, 07:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eTraxx

@FitchenFoo .. yep. I spent 12 years on the Abrams M1/M1A1 Main Battle Tank. 1500 HP Gas Turbine Engine. It would do 43mph .. at 67 tons .. and .. we carried a shovel .. and a mattock. I can guarantee you that a thousand years in the future .. if your Space Marine carries field equipment it will probably include a folding shovel.
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

shropshire lad

Oh , alright , Boys , you made your point , so rubber tyres will still be needed out there in Fantasyland !
I think I'd still try and think of an alternative for fenders .
  And the only reason you need a shovel and pick on a battle tank is to dig the latrine . Ha , ha !

Nick

pwranta193

Shovel, winches, spot lights... My favorite is his light ship - the 'Aurora'... this stuff takes me back to my misspent youth reading Metal Hurlant... Moebius and the whole mind blowing gang.  Spent last night tinkering with a one off runabout for when the Remora hits the market : ;D

I'm already looking through figures to adapt to crewmen... no sheep for me however...
Paul

"Did I mention this is a bad idea?"

FichtenFoo

There will be figures included and figure sets of Ians designs available at launch (I hope).

I want to do the Lightboat as well. It isn't the next on the list, but it's one on my shortlist of designs.
Chicks dig giant robots.

shropshire lad

Quote from: FichtenFoo on August 22, 2011, 06:01:06 PM
There will be figures included and figure sets of Ians designs available at launch (I hope).

I want to do the Lightboat as well. It isn't the next on the list, but it's one on my shortlist of designs.

That is the picture I'm looking at the moment  and the one that really takes my fancy . Can't you bump it up the list ? !

There is one figure that I reckon would be eminently suitable to represent either the captain or first mate , and I spent ages trying to find a picture of it . It is a railway worker with a beard , and I think Marc has one , but I can't for the life of me remember who makes it. I'll just have to keep looking ,

Nick

marc_reusser

QuoteIt is a railway worker with a beard , and I think Marc has one , but I can't for the life of me remember who makes it. I'll just have to keep looking ,

It's from one of the Verlinden "Railway Workers" sets (there are three sets of two workers)  The one you are thinking of, actually comes with a hand/arm holding a smoking pipe. (very captain like)

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

mad gerald

Sorry Michael, don't want to hijack your thread, but this seems the right time and place to ask the audience a question regarding a diorama I've seen (or linked to) here somewhere , IIRC ... it shows a kinda ship (with tank parts?) and a crew, which seems to consist of recruited (former) german WWII soldiers (?) and shows a very complex and well modelled submarine scenery too, with a shark attack (?) and a kinda treasure hunt (?) ...

I'd like to have a look at it again for comparison regarding a diorama with a tugboat-ish object without water (like this is going to be) and another diorama with water (like the one I'm searchin' for) ...

BTW: What is the english term for modelling this kinda scenes (like i. e. the Ian McQue Concept Designs) ... is it just "sci-fi", "post-civilization" ... or else (in German it would be "End-Zeit") ... ?

Kind regards

artizen

Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

mad gerald

Quote from: artizen on August 23, 2011, 05:00:40 AM
Do you mean this layout?
http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=2849&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=150

... thanks for your help  :), but in the layout/diorama I'm looking for is definitely no railway involved ...

mad gerald

... OK, I'got/remembered it ...  8) ... the layout's name seem to be Herr Hauptmann's champagne, was mentioned here before, but the pictures on that website linked to seem to be deleted, so this was the only one I could find yet: http://bruce-domain.blogspot.com/2010/09/awesome-build-review-herr-hauptmans.html ... (and I thought it would have had more "sci-fi" components in it ...)

pwranta193

I've seen this in person at the Euro-Militaire show in Folkstone, England.  This bad boy was cast as a solid piece - so everything you see sub-surface is resin.  While weighing a ton, it keeps things from breaking loose during transit  ;D  Really impressive scope of work, if a little fanciful in places.

Rhodes is, IIRC, LA based, though British born and raised.  Used to be quite active - but haven't seen much in the last year or so... you can find a number of his older postings on Missing-Lynx.
Paul

"Did I mention this is a bad idea?"

shropshire lad

Quote from: marc_reusser on August 23, 2011, 01:18:51 AM
QuoteIt is a railway worker with a beard , and I think Marc has one , but I can't for the life of me remember who makes it. I'll just have to keep looking ,

It's from one of the Verlinden "Railway Workers" sets (there are three sets of two workers)  The one you are thinking of, actually comes with a hand/arm holding a smoking pipe. (very captain like)

M

Marc ,

This is the fella I was thinking of , however , I have been unable to find any reference to him and the other railway workers on the Verlinden website . Are they still being produced ? Or am I looking in the wrong place?

Nick

marc_reusser

Nick,

Yes that is the fellow of which I speak. They are no longer boxed...but I am pretty sure he and the other fellows were Verlinden (but maybe I am confused....according to my wife a common condition). I almost never buy Verlinden stuff...and never from them, so can't say....I picked them up at various LHS'.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Chuck Doan

As this is a floating-in air-boat, how will this be displayed on the shelf?
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

FichtenFoo

Quote from: Chuck Doan on August 26, 2011, 10:02:38 AM
As this is a floating-in air-boat, how will this be displayed on the shelf?

Probably similar to this I did with clear rod. The base underneath could be anything really... top of a building, grassy hill, etc...

http://fichtenfoo.net/blog/tag/tantive-iv/
Chicks dig giant robots.