• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Structure details

Started by Ray Dunakin, September 26, 2011, 09:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Not a whole lot of action on the forum lately, so here are some interesting structure detail pics...

The rear of this old brick building in Austin, NV has an intricate, cast iron vent grill, among other things:

This cupola or skylight is kind of unusual:

Electric meter details on another Austin building:

Front of an old cabin in Belmont, NV. Flattened tin cans were used as battens:

Stone foundation of the former courthouse in Belmont, NV::

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

darrylhuffman

Thanks Ray, the interesting variations of old buildings seems endless.  But you have to take the time to seek them out and photograph them.

Thanks for sharing.

Here is a link to some old buildings I have found over the years.

http://picasaweb.google.com/darrylhuffman

Included are photos of the shack we lived in back in 1945.

Darryl Huffman
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com
The search for someone else to blame is always succcessful.

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Malachi Constant

Very nice!  Thanks, Ray ... and Darryl!  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Scratchman

Here's two photos of the brick boiler house in Evanston Wyoming..

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

EZnKY

What a great building!
Thanks for posting these.
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

Ray Dunakin

That boiler house is great! With some modifications, it looks like it could make a neat engine house too.

Here's a nifty brick building in Tonopah, NV:

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

The doors on that first structure are great. And the bricks on both structures almost look like brick paper. Maybe it's the lighting but there seems to be very little surface variation; the mortar appears almost flush with the bricks. Each structure must be a hundred years old. That speaks well of the construction crew. -- Russ

shropshire lad

Quote from: finescalerr on September 29, 2011, 12:56:10 AM
The doors on that first structure are great. And the bricks on both structures almost look like brick paper. Maybe it's the lighting but there seems to be very little surface variation; the mortar appears almost flush with the bricks. Each structure must be a hundred years old. That speaks well of the construction crew. -- Russ

Uncle Russ ,
  Don't discount the possibility that part or all of the walls on these building could have been repointed at some time in their lives . Plus it would be interesting to know how much adverse weather the two building have had to put up with in their lives .

Nick

Mr Potato Head

I don't think they get a lot of snow and or freezing temperatures in the Nevada desert!
But nothing says home like a brick house! Just ask the third Pig?  ::) :o 8) ;D
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

eTraxx

We got frost during the night in the Saudi Arabian desert up near Iraq during Desert Shield. That was during the Winter I admit .. it didn't last long at all once the sun came up but .. it was there
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Ray Dunakin

The elevation at Tonopah is 5850', and it's a good deal farther north than our deserts in So. Cal. Tonopah's average minimum temperature in January is a frosty 22 degrees. They do get a bit of snow as well -- 14.4" annually, between October and May.

Ray Dunakin's World

Ray Dunakin

I like the design of this old store in Eureka, NV:

The Gold Dust saloon in Gold Point, NV:

Some interesting old signs on a brick building in MIna, NV:

Enjoy!

Ray Dunakin's World

Ray Dunakin

I just came across this photo of an old door. The paint has peeled in a really odd way, considering the door is wood. If you modeled it just like this people would think you did it wrong!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Whoever weathered that door did it wrong. -- ssuR