• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Quickie Chip Experiment/Test (Using 'AK Interactive' fluids)

Started by marc_reusser, October 09, 2011, 02:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

This photo was posted on FB by Michael Rinaldi, showing his application/use of the AK fluid for chipping wood for one of his armor projects.

"Here I've made some old painted wood boards to add to the StuH. I pre-painted the bass wood strips with grey and green oils, then brushed on the AK chipping fluid, sprayed the white and removed it brushes and water just like with the hair spray technique. The stuff works great for these loose items. Super simple, took about 15 minutes total."

Did you do the oils as a solid color (sealing coat), or more as a stain?

"Just as a stain to discolor the base wood color. Brushed the chipping fluid on top, sprayed the white and chipped away."

Those that are on FB, can see his incredible modeling, on his page here:
http://www.facebook.com/RinaldiStudio
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Mr scratchmod

Yeah that Mike certainly does have the chipping to a science. I'm in awe of his work....the man is sick  ;D

marc_reusser

Phone am shots of chipping. 060 styrene (for scale purposes, model this goes with is 1/24)

M-Works

marc_reusser

M-Works

Malachi Constant

Quote from: marc_reusser on March 03, 2012, 08:02:45 PM
Phone am shots of chipping. 060 styrene (for scale purposes, model this goes with is 1/24)

Superb results ... and, one might guess, another bit of the secret truck ...  ;)  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Hauk

Those that are on FB, can see his incredible modeling, on his page here:
http://www.facebook.com/RinaldiStudio

Wow, how could I miss this link!
This is some of the best painting I have ever seen.
And that Corsair in blue is quite similiar to the result I wanted for my engine!

Thanks for sharing.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

finescalerr

Rinaldi is terrific. Your work looks to be in the same league. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Incredible chipping, especially considering the small size! Those .060" square strips are really small.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

Thanks guys. Yeah, I was pretty happy with the final result, was quite fiddly to do the piece without breaking any joints. Took about 4-5 hours to do the whole rack.

M

M-Works

JESTER

lab-dad

Glad to see you were able to build the rack from styrene. ;D
Wish I could have helped >:(, but the end result is very nice!
-Marty

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Frederic Testard

It seems impossible to make a more realistic rendition, Marc.
Frederic Testard

mad gerald

Marc,

would you mind a very short kinda SBS or at least an itemization of the things/steps you used/made, as your result on this ...
Quote from: marc_reusser on March 03, 2012, 08:02:45 PM

... is just the finish I'd very much want for my HaWe trolley:

Cheers

marc_reusser

Gerald,

Unfortunately I cannot, as this is part of a project for someone, who will publish the painting and weathering info later this year.

M

M-Works