• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Making a K27

Started by John McGuyer, February 01, 2008, 07:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John McGuyer

Here's the other picture.

finescalerr

Now you're talkin'!

!cnU

marc_reusser

Wow John. Thats looking beautiful. The different colors/shades of paint and rust, and all the areas with chipping and metal sheed are great. So glad to see the pics of this project.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

jacq01

John,

one word :    MAGNIFICENT

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

John McGuyer

Thank you guys. Coming from people like you who know what it takes, it really means so much. I read over and over your posts and go to all the sites you recommend not just once, but numerous times.

!cnU, I hope you are taking notes for future articles in your Modelers Annual. So much of the info here on this site, is just not available elsewhere.

John

John McGuyer

I didn't think the seat in these things was a plastic box, so I made something. Since I don't know what they really looked like, this is my best guess.

It is a turned brass base with brass strip seat braces. The 'upholstery' is pearwood covered with a handkerchief and painted with Vallejo brown. Rubbed it to look worn. The frame was painted with Vallejo Gun Metal and some Bragdon powders rubbed on to age them.

Oh yes, Thank you Chuck for your info in making knotholes. I added some to the wood beams.

John

jacq01

John,

this seat looks great.
  I don't know or cloth was used as it wears quickly and picks up dirt easy, I recall leather or plain wood being used a lot in Europe. German steamloco,s had wooden seats and in e-loc's the machinist was standing till in the late 30's / 40's.

Jacq
I am what I remember.

finescalerr

Right or wrong, it looks excellent. Why mess with it? -- Russ

jacq01

QuoteRight or wrong, it looks excellent. Why mess with it?

Amen
I am what I remember.

John McGuyer

I figured whatever I did, it was better than a plastic box. I went through all my K-27 pictures I gleaned off the web, plus went through my K-27 book and I could find pictures of the backhead, but not the seats.

Thank you for your comments.

John

macsair

Quote from: John McGuyer on March 05, 2008, 04:26:28 PM
I figured whatever I did, it was better than a plastic box. I went through all my K-27 pictures I gleaned off the web, plus went through my K-27 book and I could find pictures of the backhead, but not the seats.

Thank you for your comments.

John
Well, you're getting mighty fancy there John, idle hands are the devils workshop and you are doing some mighty fine looking work, especially since I have seen you engine in person and know how much hard work is actually involved......keep it up  !   Mac

John McGuyer

Thank you much Dude! I've still got a long way to go to get to your level. Thank you for all the help you've given me through the years. Besides, now our couplers will line up.

John

marc_reusser

John,

Not to sound/be nitpicky/disparaging.....but since you are working so hard and doing such a nice job on the loco.....re. the seat:

With the wear/weathering shown on the loco, the seat seems a bit stiff and contrived. Instead of pearwood, you might want to consider something like Magic Sculpt for the cushions...this way the could be molded to show the areas of constant wear use...IE indentations, edge compression, etc.

The fabric texture seems a bit "large"/overscale/coarse.....maybe it's just the photo. A thought would be to use something with a much finer weave like a tea bag or sim. Another thing to consider would be to ise the MagicSculpt, and then lightly "impress" a fabric pattern onto it......an advantage again when doing the putty, is that the fabric seams could then be replicated by a small/very fine impressed line along the edges of the cushion box. ("box cushions" such as those you ghave shown generally have seams at the top and bottom edges....some even have "welting" ).

I also do question the "fabric" for this cushion, rather than a leather, which is more durable.

....regardless, it's coming along nicely.

Marc

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

John McGuyer

Yes I agree, the fabric is a little course. I considered putting thick paint then letting some fabric show which could look like worn naugahyde which has that course canvas backing. I did file the edges of the pearwood quite a bit to look worn. I also sanded the material a bit to look worn. The fabric just happened to be laying there as I'm planning on making the curtains from it.

I've taken some more pictures but they are still in the camera across the street.

John

Nurser

May I suggest the finest fabric I know, which is silk screen nylon.  Any T-Shirt printer should be able to sell you a few offcuts.  Provided bloody computers haven't taken that job over too.
Hector