• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

RR NBW size question

Started by Mr scratchmod, October 30, 2011, 07:50:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr scratchmod

I've been searching the web for resin or preferably plastic nut-bolt-washers, and bolt heads. I've checked on-line RR stores and the Grandtline and Tichy look good from what I can see. My problem is that I build 1/35 armor and have no idea what the HO and O scales equal to. The listings show for example 4.5" hex nut and 7"washer. I usually work in mm and convert to 1/35.
So my problem is that I have no clue how big these are and what to order. If I could, I'd love to order a couple of packs of each....but would be wasted money if I couldn't use them. I will be needing a couple hundred NBW's for the inside of my Karl project.

If anyone can guide me in the right direction, or a size chart would be great. Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Rob

mabloodhound

Rob,
Afraid you'll have to get your calculator out.   If it says 'O' scale, that is 1:48 which you can convert using the two step method, although there is a one step multiplier to 1:35 but I do not know what it is.   Someone else may chime in with that.

Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

Mr scratchmod

Thanks for the info. Knowing that O equals 1/48 does help a lot. I was just on Internet Trains .com was about to place an order for ten different size NBW, but it seems the Grandtline products are out of stock. I'll just get two of each of 5 different size NBW and go from there. I am sure I can use them eventually.
Rob

marc_reusser

Krob, if you can wait till later, I will scan you my small conversion table that I have tabed to my workbench. It shows the the decimal inch size, the 148 equivalent and the 1/35 equivalent.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

Oh...and have a look at the Tichy rivets ...IMO they are better than the Grandt...as the heads are actually centered in the shaft. (Helps for when you are drilling the rivets....but I just generally cut the heads off and glue them on).

M-Works

Mr scratchmod

Man I wish you mentioned the rivets sooner  ;D >:( I already ordered the NBW. I got 5 different ones and two packs of most of them, can't go wrong for the price. Next order will be the rivets....will use them on a scratch built crane.
By the way, I'll be posting my first experiment with wood, an old pallet. You guts are getting me hooked on a new way of modelling and in no time I'll be doing RR and buildings  ;D ;D I can't wait too.

Rob

Gordon Ferguson

You may find these people useful , especially for the nuts and bolts that in really obvious places ............. quality is outstanding.

http://www.scalehardware.com/threaded-hex-nuts-c-2

Barney put me on to these people and as he said quality and service can't be beaten
Gordon

Mr scratchmod

Wow thanks for the link, some really nice stuff there, but may be later when I have more experience. I'll give the Tichy a go and see how they work out first. Man you guys are great.
Rob

marc_reusser

Sorry Rob.  :-\

Since I am chained to the bench today for you know what....I thought it would be easir to just snap you a pic of the table I use and attach it below.

Since you are delving into rivets and nail heads, you may want to consider buying a. Waldron "Sub-Miniature Punch and die set"  I have found mine absolutely indispensible...a "must have" tool for me.....unless I need really visible rounded head rivets...such as on WWI type of equipment and early stuff....I use this....and I use it almost exclusively for anything 1/48......it's not cheap by any means.....but considering the literaly thousands if not not tens of thou...of rivets I have made with this over the last few years, it has well paid for itself a couple of times.  Great Models Webstore tends to carry them...and they are in your neck of the woods.

(For the peanut gallery...yes, Micro Mark does make one as well...I have it also [for additional size variety)..but the sizes are nowhwere near as small as the Waldron, and the quality not nearly as good in regards to puch/hole quality)

M-Works

Mr scratchmod

Hey Marc, posted at the same time. The chart will be printed and posted in the rust factory, thank you. I have some "scratch built" punches and rivet makers, been using them for about ten years now. I've make thousands of rivets and bolts and thought I'd try some already made stuff to save time.
Yeah been at the bench working on the pallet for the old timer. Will post pics of the pallet here and there, just have to take the pics now.

Rob

mabloodhound

Rob,

Don't forget, that Tichy and Grandt are both family run businesses.   You can order direct from either and a phone call will find out if an item is in stock or when available.   Great folks to deal with.
8)
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

Mr scratchmod

I've checked them out, very cool. I'll start slow with the ordering of rivets and NBW's for now. Got to build up the modeling fund first. ;D Might have to hit the LHS and stock up on styrene while I'm at it.....I see a scratch crane in my near future  ;D :D

Speaking of which, anyone have any good pics or links to old cranes ?? Turn of the century to the 50's would be great. Did a google search but didn't find much. Also, are there magazines out there that have line drawings in them ??

Rob

Gordon Ferguson

Hi Rob, gives us a clue what sort/size of crane?

You might find something of interest on a few pages on this thread  ;D ;D

http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=693.0

And there is a baby one here

http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=681.msg10511#msg10511

On the first page of this there is a link to Marc's bit & pieces thread where there were a lot of photos different cranes posted

And here is a link provided by Nick "Shropshire Lad " for some I would like to have a go at

http://www.hfinster.de/StahlArt2/archive-MayenQuarries-de.html#archive-IndustrialLandscapes-MayenQuarries
Gordon

Mr scratchmod

wow, very nice links thank you. The third link to the B/W pics of that old crane was what I had in mind. I had wanted to add an old large crane in 1/35  to the Karl  dio. What I was thinking was that a crane was disassembling the Karl but due to the weight of the cradle some cables snapped and or the boom bent and fell to the ground !!!!! But due to the time limit I want/need to have the dio done I don't think I'll be going with a crane. Might just do the crane after the Karl dio.
Thanks for the links and I'll go back later and re read the builds again to get ideas and see how to go about building one.
Rob

shropshire lad

Quote from: Mr scratchmod on October 31, 2011, 09:05:02 AM
I've checked them out, very cool. I'll start slow with the ordering of rivets and NBW's for now. Got to build up the modeling fund first. ;D Might have to hit the LHS and stock up on styrene while I'm at it.....I see a scratch crane in my near future  ;D :D

Speaking of which, anyone have any good pics or links to old cranes ?? Turn of the century to the 50's would be great. Did a google search but didn't find much. Also, are there magazines out there that have line drawings in them ??

Rob

Rob ,

What sort of crane ? Asking that question like that is like asking for pictures of " a car" ! You need to be a bit more specific , i.e. dock cranes , lorry mounted cranes , quarry cranes , derrick cranes , barge mounted cranes or even crane cranes . You get the picture . There are loads of pictures out there of cranes , but you gotta ask the right questions .

By the way , I love cranes .

Here is a shot of a local crane that was taken down a few months ago , criminal if you ask me . It is still in the yard and I'm hoping to get a bit of it for myself to put in the garden .

I was typing this when you posted just now , but I can't be bothered to change it !

Nick