• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

A way around Sulfur clay being incompatible with RTV Silicone + Cheap Mold Boxes

Started by ho henry, November 04, 2011, 12:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ho henry

Just recently became of the following,

Home Depot likewise Lowes as well as craft stores sells the following product made by 'KRYLON'
an ACRYLIC SPRAY that you apply in the following manner.

In a well ventilated area start by spraying above the object in question then in a downward stroke lightly spray the surface then do the other side in the same manner, you don't want to over do it as the cote will clog some of the surfaces.
Then allow enough time to thoroughly dry so its not tacky to the touch,.

Then just hot glue it to the center of the mold container.

Depending on the size of the object you want to replicate you can use DIXEY cups placed upside down with the bottom cut out as an opening for the mixed rtv.  From 5 Oz all the way down to mini plastic medicine pill cups.

Michaels craft stores sell's a mini hot glue gun for around $5.00 the sticks are about $3.98 a pack, using the glue apply the glue around the total base of the cup adhearing it to get this a sheet of foam enclosed within paper on both sides, can't get any cheaper than that.  Cut the foam based board according to the size you need for the cup.

Michaels also sells this material as well as hobby shops.

HO Henry

finescalerr

Henry, this information is of little benefit without photos of your actual experience. -- Russ

Bexley

Or even better- don't use clay with sulfur in it. Alumilite sells one that is silicone compatible, and many art supply stores (in the US, at least) carry Klean Klay, which has no sulfur in it.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

marc_reusser

Interesting, but where does one even get sulfur clay?  Granted I havent looked for it, but I haven't seen, or worked with it, since my days doing car styling/design clay models. (Always hated the smell. We had large warming bins filled with the stuff.)

...and what are you making with it? Just curious, as there might be other materials far better suited for the task.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

searoom

I responded to this on another forum and will give the same advice here.

Almost all clay as it comes from the earth has sulfur in it. Potter's clay is notorious for stinking up the studio during firing, thus kilns are vented.

Modeling clay, the type made plastic by oil, generally has has the sulfur removed , some more effectively than others (read the label)

The BEST solution based on my PROFESSIONAL experience is to not waste your time on alternative tricks, techniques, or other hocus pocus. Just purchase good quality sulfur free clay. It is ubiquitous and in expensive.

james_coldicott

QuoteJust purchase good quality sulfur free clay. It is ubiquitous and in expensive.

I have to agree, there are too many other factors in the mold making process to risk adding problems.

Here is where I buy my NSP (non sulpherated plasteline) in the UK... no connection, just a satisfied customer.

http://www.tiranti.co.uk/subdivision_product_list.asp?Subcategory=42&Subdivision=134

Hope this is of use to somebody.

James

ho henry

Hi
   At my age dealing with complications dealing with diabetes therefore haven't been able to reply as fast as I wanted to,.

Yes Michaels sells a Sulfur Free Modeling Clay under the name of AIKENS which is an excellent product,
the only reason I brought it up was that it was a tiny piece of knowledge too keep in the back of your mind IF OR SHOULD you ever needed to go that route.

Again unfortunately I do not own a digital camera neither can I borrough one.

Henry