• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Buffalo Pitts Traction engine 1:16 scale

Started by Scratchman, November 16, 2011, 09:27:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scratchman

finescalerr

Ray Dunakin

Impressive -- especially those wheels and gears!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Gordon Ferguson

Now that is proper scratch building ............. very,very impressive

Thought more than once about having a go at something like that , but always decided it was way too complicated for me .... looking at this  definitely one of my better decisions ;D

Keep up the great work Gordon
Gordon

finescalerr

Look at the model and think about what Gordon has done: He figured out how to break down construction into subassemblies. Then he patiently cut and assembled each part. Then he put everything together. It's really a testament to his problem solving skills and patience. He goes through that process again and again with each model. I doubt any of them poses much of a problem anymore. The man is a consummate professional. -- Russ

Malachi Constant

Quote from: finescalerr on December 03, 2011, 12:39:17 AM
Look at the model and think about what Gordon has done: He figured out how to break down construction into subassemblies. Then he patiently cut and assembled each part. Then he put everything together. It's really a testament to his problem solving skills and patience. He goes through that process again and again with each model. I doubt any of them poses much of a problem anymore. The man is a consummate professional. -- Russ

Yeah, and apparently he didn't even get confused about the multi-layered innards of those complex tractor wheels ... all that freakin' detail adds extraordinary depth and realism ... and it makes it both more joyful and more sickening to see all this progress!  He even managed to get all those cleats on the outside of the tires going in the right direction ... don't overlook how taxing a simple thing like that can be when trying to sort out a big, complicated assembly.  No tongue-in-cheek there ... it takes some real concentration to separate the project into all those sub-assemblies and then build and assemble those properly.  This is cool beans.  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

danpickard

Yup,
I think the summary you made Russ was pretty spot on.  Well problem solved: well excecuted answer to the problem of have to actually build these various shapes.  Its the one thing that I probably enjoy the most with your diary of these builds Gordon...not just the final result, but the clear display of the thought that has gone into fabricating the piece.  I think what impresses me equally as much (and no disrespect to the guys on this forum that are using the advances of rapid prototyping, since things like these wheels would be an obvious choice of something perfect for that type of work), is the display of good ol' scratchbuilding craftsmanship.  My hat is off...again.

Cheers,
Dan

Andi Little

Oh my Giddy Aunt !      :o

Absolutely bliddy brilliant, makes me a bit wobbly just thinking about it - Marvellous.
KBO..................... Andi.

lab-dad

Thats why i like 1:16, each component is a model in and of itself!
So much fun for scratchbuilding!
-Marty

Ken Hamilton

Incredible. 
Gordon, your scrachbuilding is pure art.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

Chuck Doan

I agree with everything that's been said. Always inspiring!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

nk

You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

JohnP

I would be remiss if I did not heap on the praise. Gordon, your decision making process while building must be clear, concise and quick.

Could you ever offer a step-by-step, not of how you built something, but the thinking process along the way?

Wonderful work.

John
John Palecki

Malachi Constant

Come back to see the latest comments ... see the photos again ... jaw drops again just like first time ...
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com