• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Buffalo Pitts Traction engine 1:16 scale

Started by Scratchman, November 16, 2011, 09:27:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon Ferguson

Tremendous work Gordon, the painting is really brings out all the detail you added .

The piece now has captured the mass & weight of the original, nicely photographed as well!.

Gordon

mabloodhound

A caveman!!!!   What is it with this caveman stuff? ;D

Nice work Gordon.

Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

finescalerr

You have created a real gem, Gordon. Most satisfactory. -- Russ

danpickard

When you know that this piece started as a lump of white styrene, it makes it you appreciate the craftsmanship that has gone into fabricating and assembling this engine.  Just superb Gordon.  A really cool rendition of those similar to "ye olde world" advertising...bit of a show room model.  As usual, thanks for sharing the journey.

Cheers,
Dan

Andi Little

KBO..................... Andi.

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hauk

Excllent.
Dare we ask for a painting tutorial?

Regards, Hauk
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Scratchman

Thanks guys for your comments.
Ray... its too late to add a canopy, it wasn't on the plan so I never gave it any thought. I do like these engines with a canopy on them. Some Buffalo Pitts engines have canopies and some don't. I am building umbrellas for the monorail locos maybe I will build one for this engine also.

Hauk... I painted the engine with Floquil Engine Black out of a rattle can. Then I did a very light dusting with a rust color hard pastel powder and fished up with Dullcote. The red on the wheels and the green is built up in layers of hard pastel powder lightly painted with a coat of Dullcote then repeat till you get  good coverage. I think I have three coats on the water tank. The red I used was the only red I had at the time I may change the color later or I may leave it as is. On the wheels and pulleys. I did white pastel with Dullcote two or three times to lighten up the black. I used a regular pencil for the last layer.

Note... I use a razor blade and scrape the pastel stick to get the powder and apply with a soft brush.
Note... Floquil paint in the can is different than Floquil in the bottle.

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

Hauk

Quote from: Scratchman on January 09, 2012, 10:31:58 PM

Hauk... I painted the engine with Floquil Engine Black out of a rattle can. Then I did a very light dusting with a rust color hard pastel powder and fished up with Dullcote. The red on the wheels and the green is built up in layers of hard pastel powder lightly painted with a coat of Dullcote then repeat till you get  good coverage. I think I have three coats on the water tank. The red I used was the only red I had at the time I may change the color later or I may leave it as is. On the wheels and pulleys. I did white pastel with Dullcote two or three times to lighten up the black. I used a regular pencil for the last layer.

Interesting concept for painting. It sure looks beautiful, but how does it stand up to handling? Maybe not something you would try on an operating model?
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Barney

A beautiful model and paint job and most off all somthing different.
Barney.

Scratchman

Hauk... on the handling it is probably good to have a good last coat of Dullcote. A good last coat would also be needed for pen washes, decals and for future dusting.

My next steam engine model, I will built and paint the black,red and green assemblies separately. This model was too complex to build the black and green assemblies separately.

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

Ray Dunakin

Lots of neat stuff on that page! And from there, I found these...

Here's another Fordson for you, Gordon:

This is a great shot, of some amazing traction engines:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27712868@N05/2817299342

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Scratchman

Doug H.

"It was an American tradition, like fathers chasing kids around with power tools."