• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Engineering/Mechanical Help Needed

Started by marc_reusser, November 22, 2011, 04:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Quote from: gfadvance on November 24, 2011, 01:06:20 AM
Quote from: marc_reusser on November 23, 2011, 09:26:13 PM
I unfortunatrly don't want to show the pic at this time.....as I would like to build this when I get done with my current project commitments.

M

Spoilsport  ;D ;D

......speak of the devil.  ;D ;D ;D :P
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

DaKra

Actually it is a sort of an arcade game.   ;D   

Just thinking perhaps 2 is the end of a leaf spring (oriented left to right, not front to rear)  and 3 is the flange of the box, which dips down to accomodate the spring, and 1 is the attachment point for the spring.   

Dave

marc_reusser

Dave,

That was one of the options/solutions I considered at the beginning, for the exact reason you mention, however after a lot of back and forth in PS, It became clear that the bottom hanger had a back, and the lower box continued behind that...so no thru slot/channel into which the leaf spring would sit.

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

DaKra

Yes, probably right, as it would serve no purpose to extend the flange of the box outward, to accomodate a slot for a leaf spring.    

I looked at my reference which shows this photo and a few things come to mind.  

You might want to check with the ________ ___ museum for additional photos, as the photo is credited to them and it may have been part of a series.    And also in my book it seems to show item 1 as a round horizontal surface, with at least two rivets or nuts , and item 2 might possibly be a simple coiled spring, possibly in a rubber or canvas sock.   Just a very simple shock absorber.    There's not a lot of load on this thing, so the shocks would not need to be substantial.  

Its interesting that the shadows show an angular point, not sure why that would be.  I think 3D software can be useful for reverse engineering shapes from a shadow.   You can test some ideas and see if they match the odd shadow.

I would assume the drive unit was made of repurposed existing parts.  Not sure what industry would use a small remotely operated tramway, but it may lead to more photos of the drive unit.

Dave

John McGuyer

Marc

It was not unusual in that era to use rubber for springing rather than metal springs. Check the landing gear of many of the airplanes of the time. You will see big rubber bands wrapped around the axle. Why? Rubber springs do not pick up the sympathetic vibrations and resonance that metal springs do, so do not need shock absorbers. Clever no?

John