• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

PaperBrick

Started by RichD, November 23, 2011, 10:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichD

I found this site and link on another model site.. interesting concept.. The brick patterns are produced by an algorithm written by a programmer, who based on his testimony is not an experienced model builder.

http://paperbrick.co.uk/

I have attached a small screen shot of the pdf output in S scale.

My print was a bit glossy, but there may be ways to overcome that based on the paper being used.  I used whatever paper was in the office printer.

So far the downloads are free.

RichD

BKLN

I have done endless experiments with printed brick, and I can only speak about my experiences in 1:87. I have tried all sort of printed brick patterns, (scalescenes, clever models and numerous photoshop experiments). Printing on different papers with inkjet and laser printers. Even carving mortar lines. Nothing with satisfying results!

However, I have to say, that printed paper brick does work excellent when viewed in a photography. In that case it is far superior than any 3D brick, because the missing depth is not visible in a photo. As soon as you look at a paper model in reality the missing texture becomes apparent.

There is no easy solution. At least not for 1:87. Larger scales are different, as many of the members here have proven.

finescalerr

If you emboss bricks printed on a textured paper like the 90 lb. Lanaquarelle cold press I've often mentioned, the effect can be quite good. Except, of course, at the corners unless you to to extraordinary measures.

Well, maybe not as extraordinary as Nick's brick by brick approach but nonetheless tedious, as Marc's example on another thread suggested.

Here are a couple of examples of my own brick art, one from a photo, the other from just doodling around.

Russ

finescalerr

Here's the other one.

They look better printed out at 1:48 and neither is good enough for my own modeling; they need work or to be completely replaced. But they may give you an idea what you can do with a camera and Photoshop.

Russ

marklayton

Rich -

Thanks for posting that site.

I gave it a try at 1:32 scale, using the Antique Multi brick set and a header bond.  Printed the resulting file on Epson Premium Luster photo paper.   Of course that paper is too shiny, but the perceived texture, coloring, and randomness of the burnt bricks is outstanding.  But I did observe some artifacts of the software repeating a pattern.  Approximately every 3-1/2 inches (measured horizontally) a run of vertical mortar lines is very slightly wider.  It's a minor difference, just enough to be apparent.  And there's a similar repeating wider horizontal mortar line approximately every 1-1/4 inches.

Curious, I tried another brick set, Wessex Mixture, and stretcher bond.  This combination yielded mortar lines of consistent width.

Now for the real test - another printing of the Wessex Mixture patter, this time on Epson Cold Press Natural paper (100% cotton base textured heavy paper with natural whites, as opposed to bleached.)  WOW!!!  Looks very good.  Ready to cut out and glue to a plywood wall.

Mark
He who dies with the most tools wins.

Mr Potato Head

My fast trial came out not so bad in 1/32
I just need to round up the right paper and I'll be good to go
thanks!
MPH
Happy mashed Potato Day! : - )_)
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

BKLN

For larger scales brick by brick is the way to go. As I said, any photo is hard to judge, the ultimate test is the naked eye.

eTraxx

@Mark .. re: artifacts. The guy that hosts Paperbrick, Derrick Stapleford has a link where he asks suggestions or advice. Just tell him what you had a problem with. I emailed him a while back telling him that I had posted a link to his site on RRL and he promptly replied. His email is - derrick.stapleford@btinternet.com
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

finescalerr

I guess I'm missing the point here. I visited the site and looked at the artwork. The creator generously offers it for free and, yes it is scalable. So what? It is crude.

To be more specific, it's cartoonish and seems inappropriate for the kind of modeling we strive for. Yet some of us seem enthusiastically to embrace it. Why?

I'll happily rescind my comment if one of you shows us a highly realistic model using those printed digital bricks. But I'll cackle and gleefully say "I told you so" if you don't. I doubt anyone using that primitive computerized pattern of rectangles will be able to raise it to a realistic enough level.

You guys know I embrace technology and any kind of innovation, especially a shortcut that yields superior results. But I suspect the bricks in question will be a dead end for us and I find it baffling that they show up on this forum.

Russ

nemmrrc

I believe the fellow's effort is honorable and commendable. However, even though he is using actual photographs of individual bricks to generate the random pattern, the same individual bricks in his library are repeated throughout the pattern and that is why some of the believability is lost. Also, the mortar is just a straight line and has no texture.

Here is an example and close-up of a pattern generated in HO scale when I chose random settings. I am not a brick expert (courses, etc.) so any of the choices seemed just as good as the next to me.

Parameters:

Actual size of sample:

Close-up of sample:

Note in the close-up the brick on the top left corner is the same one as in the bottom right corner. Also, there are three of the same brick in the bottom course and the brick on the left of the bottom right corner is repeated twice in the bottom course and found again in the top course.

It does appear to me in the close up that these are actual images of a single brick. As I've stated above perhaps the pattern is not random enough or the mortar takes away from the illusion.

I wonder if the fellow added mirror images of each brick as well as upside-down images would that help?

Jaime

marc_reusser

For one thing the lines are too dark...at most he should use a med grey...or a "shaded"/gradated line that is darker at the top half than at the bottom (to imitate the sun/light shadow in the recessed mortar joint)

To get an older looking wall it might also help if the line had a very slight bit of a ragged or deckled edge; to hint at, or give the impression of, worn or slightly chipped edges of the brick.

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

curb

I agree the grout should be a lighter Gray color.
I think the printed brick would work well in interiors of buildings, esp in the smaller scales.
There are posibilities.

DaKra

This focus on color and photo renderings of individual bricks is misdirected.  It should be focused on ways to achieve the 3rd dimension.  Because you can make the bricks photo perfect, but paper brick is not going to be right until it has the 3-dimensionality of bricks and mortar.    That is the bottom line.   

eTraxx

@Curb .. just like point out that you can select the mortar color .. http://paperbrick.co.uk/index.php?action=browsemortarcolours

I have been carrying on an exchange with him and he's looking at apply light and shadow to the mortar. He certainly seems willing to work to improve the prints ... he's a programmer that is just getting into modeling as a hobby. I pointed him at the thread and the suggestions to improve the brick sheets.
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

finescalerr

Dave's comment is really important. However generous the programmer may be, the results lack artistry and realism in two crucial ways.

Many of you have criticized the "artwork" for being too perfect, insufficiently random, and lacking proper coloration and you are absolutely correct. But, even in a model as small as HO scale, art is only part of the issue. The rest is texture. Dave's laser cut brick walls have three dimensions. They suggest human imperfection and the ravages of weather. The best we can do with even my photograph of a brick wall is to scribe the courses. But that still leaves all brick faces on the same plane.

If the absence of random height and depth seems too "nitpicky" to some of you, remember what forum you are visiting. This isn't a "how to weather your Plasticville" group; it is a "how to get as close to perfection as possible" group.

To my eye, the best way to achieve that is with a laser or with superior artwork and some kind of individual or semi-individual brick technique, at least in random spots (e.g., an overlay) and with interlocking corners.

Stay focused, guys. "Keep your eye upon the doughnut, not upon the hole".

Russ