• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Pair of Remoras

Started by FichtenFoo, December 11, 2011, 03:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JESTER

Where are those 2 panels located on the vehicle? I can't see them.

-

FichtenFoo

Quote from: JESTER on January 31, 2012, 10:01:24 AM
Where are those 2 panels located on the vehicle? I can't see them.

-

Those are the backs of the two long low side panels. The red/white striped ones on my blue one under the yellow small panels.
Chicks dig giant robots.

shropshire lad

Quote from: FichtenFoo on January 31, 2012, 08:55:30 AM
Quote from: lab-dad on January 31, 2012, 08:11:18 AM
whats the difference between the rust streaks and rust wash?
Does the "streaks" contain more solids?
-Marty
Yeah, it's thicker. When you airbrush it on though it doesn't make as much of a difference since you're controlling the final thickness. I airbrushed on both streaky to get a varied appearance.

So you airbrush your rust on ? I've haven't heard or seen that done before , I always assumed that it was applied by brush .

Don't be too long with your final images !

I haven't been completely idle . I have started the island by gluing a number of pieces of urethane foam to some plywood and dowel . The Remora will be attached to the ply with a couple of builder's favourite friends , namely a couple of 4" nails . Not as brutal as it may sound .

I shall glue a further layer of foam ontop of the ply .

I have also decided what else is going onto the island .

As this diorama is supposed to be set sometime in the future I wanted to show evidence of a previous time when man had occupied that bit of land . So I have opted for an old mine adit with trackwork coming out . I am toying with putting a winding winch and/or the remains of the winch house . Made of brick , of course !

This island was once part of a mainland and at some point broke away , much the same way as an iceberg . therefore I shall have the trackwork coming out of the side someway down from the top suggesting that it had been ripped out when the island separated . this will give me lots of opportunity to model rusty junk and vegetation .

It is good to finally get my teeth stuck into a new project ,

Nick

shropshire lad

More floating islands

Gordon Ferguson

What with your description and the picture of what you have done so far starting to get my head round this .............. and how much potential there is for some fun with this "free scale" modelling.

Look forward to seeing how this develops Nick ................ don't get too carried away with the bricks , remember you don't want to sink the island ;D
Gordon

Chuck Doan

It's good to see your teeth stuck in a new project Nick. Well, something like that.

Those Yes covers are giving me flashbacks.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

TRAINS1941

Nick

Signs of my youth!!!

"Tales From Topographic Oceans"

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

shropshire lad

Quote from: TRAINS1941 on January 31, 2012, 02:22:46 PM
Nick

Signs of my youth!!!

"Tales From Topographic Oceans"

Jerry

Jerry ,

Funny you should mention that album as I was just thinking about it a few minutes ago . It is one of the few early albums of theirs that I'm pretty sure I haven't heard and I was going to go onto UTube to see if it would be worth spending a few quid on a copy of the LP if I came across it .

And you were not that youthful when that was released !

Nick

FichtenFoo

Mine is all done: http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=1723.0

Nick: Please make a new thread over here and post your progress pics. There's a group-build of sorts going on. It'd be cool to see all of these together! (Ian McQue (the artist behind the Remora) has been watching the builds)

http://industriamechanika.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0
Chicks dig giant robots.

shropshire lad

Well , I finished my Remora ( renamed Lorelei) a week or two ago and I finally got around to taking a few photos today . This proved to be a very enjoyable and educational build ,using some techniques that I hadn't tried before and finally plucking up the courage to use my airbrush that I bought 4 years ago . Just about getting the hang of it now . I reckon I used the best part of a roll of Tamiya masking tape doing all those stripes and chevrons .
  I am hoping to take it along to the big show at Dortmund , in Germany , next month to have it hovering above Jacq's layout . This is a five day show that , I am told , in a POOR year has about 80,000 people through the doors . So it will have something of a baptism of fire for its first outing . I shall make sure that anyone who is interested knows who makes the kit , so I hope Fichtenfoo can get himself geared up for a potential flood of new orders !

Now all I've got to do is finish the island ,

Nick 

FichtenFoo

Looks fantastic! Mind if I share them on the site in the customer gallery?
Chicks dig giant robots.

shropshire lad

One more shot

shropshire lad

Quote from: FichtenFoo on March 25, 2012, 02:10:51 PM
Looks fantastic! Mind if I share them on the site in the customer gallery?

Feel free . Sorry the quality of the photography isn't up to much . As usual I was in a bit of a hurry . I will try and post them at your forum later .

Nick

Ray Dunakin

Looks great, Nick!

Where do they get 80k people who are interested in viewing quality models??

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

JESTER

Very nice! This is such a cool platform!

-