• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

New "FAQ 2" Book

Started by marc_reusser, December 22, 2011, 01:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Whether the book is worth the cost, or whether it is a necessity, or not, is an individual decision....

I have been using many/most of the techniques and materials in the book for years, and I still bought to get the book , they day it became available (I also have the first book.)....part of the reason may be novelty, but the main reason, is that it is wonderful to have all these methods/techniques compiled in one place, so that when I am looking at a model, and may be stumped, on how I want to approach a something, I can go to the book and refresh my memory, clarify a method, get inspiration, or better resolve the sequencing I plan to take.

One thing I can say, is that it should be a must read for the vast majority of RR modelers that I read stuff from on other forums (and in magazines) that portend to know about how to do these techniques, and then go out and "all knowingly" tell others how they are/should be done....which most of the time is completely wrong. I can't tell you how many times I have read posts/articles by people claiming to know one of these techniques, but they really don't have a clue of what they are talking about...and the examples/results they show are just pitiful. Mostly this is because the info they are posting is based on 2nd or 3rd hand info, that is often only a fragment of the whole process, and not used or explained in context to the overall process (often without the proper preceeding or subsequent steps) and not understanding what the technique was supposed to represent and why.  This book will/should give you that information.

Yes, as Gil mentions, it is sometimes a bit difficult to follow along...but it is better in this, and with more photos, than the first book....and, for crying  out loud...what does one expect....it is a tool, this book does not do the thinking and work for you, you do need to read, pay attention and experiment with the techniques.

IMO, it is a greater benefit to any modeller that wants to grow and learn, than some laser kit(s) of the same price will ever be.

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

Quote from: Mobilgas on December 26, 2011, 04:45:00 PM
I heard the whole US shipment is held-up in US customs......because of the label on the shipping box's said AK-47 with a picture of a GUN.....so custom's thought the shipment was suspicious.  Heard this from Michigan Toy Soldier.   

Hmm...I am curious what the guy at MTS was drinking/smoking :o.....because I pre-ordered mine through the AK-USA website, and it arrived just fine, and is currently sitting on my work-bench. ::)

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

OK Boss,

I'll order the book ! ;D ;D

Anyway by the time the credit card bill arrives the banking system will have collapsed and I can just pay them with pebbles,  shells or something?

Talking of painting .................. ;)
Gordon

Mobilgas

Marc,    Who know's what there Drinking & Smoking at Michigan Toy Soldier  ::)
Craig

Mr Potato Head

Marc! You missed your calling as a book reviewer! LOL
What no eggnog for you? I really think it's a translation thing, I like seeing the photos and the detailed captions on any SBS, but some writers are better than others, and as you elude to a lot of us are dim witted, so some of us need more help than others!
Even though a lot of the first book is hard to understand, I still review it when working on a project and I am constantly looking for new and different ways to finish my models
I can't wait for mine,.................
MPH
Ps the New York Times needs you, they or 60 Minuets!
hahahhahhah
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

David Emery

Quote from: Mobilgas on December 27, 2011, 07:26:34 AM
Marc,    Who know's what there Drinking & Smoking at Michigan Toy Soldier  ::) I just tryed to order the Book at there shop and thats the LINE OF BULLSHIT they gave me.....Im getting tired of going there and not seeing what i want to get >:( and they carry AK stuff.... i like to buy local if i can but it look's like it's getting harder to be able to do that :
I've heard from other people that US Customs can be very capricious, so it wouldn't surprise me that MichToy's shipment got held up while others went forward.  For what it's worth, I've had good luck with MichToy

dave

marc_reusser

Dave, I was just razzing about MTS.  I agree with your asessment of them....I have bought online numerous times from them and have always had good service (but I do have to say that the couple of telephone conversations with them were a bit odd....but nothing bad/negative...just odd  ;) )

M-Works

Malachi Constant

-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

JESTER

Thanks for the link!! I have a copy of his first book and it's worth it's weight in gold!!

Waiting on a client to pay up so I can get this!!

-

Mr Potato Head

see I told you! dim witted!  ::)
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Gordon Ferguson

Well my copy arrived this morning ................. and the size and weight of it go a very long way to explain the postage charges !!

Only really had an hour or so to have a quick glance thro it but its pretty clear it is unlikely I will ever need another book on painting...... this is definitely a reference work. The numerous techniques which have been developed over the last few years are all here and it looks as if they all all broken down into clear well explained steps & with great photography & printed on a high quality paper

My initial reservations about the total cost were wrong, you get what you pay for .......... and this looks like a very good investment.

Now I only have to put some of the stuff into practice .... Chapter 1 "primer"  ;D ;D   
Gordon

JESTER

Unfortunately min is on hold at customs for some reason. I also ordered RATZ, RODS AND RUST Building Models Cranky's Way.

Thanks for the heads-up Marc!!

finescalerr

Cranky hasn't posted for about six months. I hope he isn't burned out from book publishing! -- Russ

Mr Potato Head

Unc, I just received my backordered Cranky "Bible" ! Last night and I stayed up late to read the fist ten or so pages, Fantastic, Magnafique! Superb! Hey he even gives shout out's to Chuck, Charlie and You! It's well laid out and very colorful! I can't wait to finish reading it this weekend! Thanks Cranky for such a great book, congratulations
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

finescalerr

Virgil sent me a few pages of the original files and asked me about publishing (and distributing) the book. When he found out my distributor is Kalmbach he ran quickly in the other direction. Can't say I blame him. Anyway, I did get to see a few pages and knew it was beautiful and informative. I would have been proud to publish such an excellent piece of work. -- Russ